Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Pop-up adds/browser hijacks on mobile site AGAIN!

Anyone else experienceing the retturn of thos annoying pop-up adds/browser hijacks when using the mobile site on an android device?

They went away for a while but have been back recently.

G.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for letting me know on that, much appreciated - yes, that does sound more likely.

0 likes

@Brooksby - Just to confirm this has been happening this week?

brooksby replied to Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
0 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

@Brooksby - Just to confirm this has been happening this week?

@Tony - yes, all week - however, just got the windows 10 developer update last night and it hasn't been happening today.

Also, I was getting it on other sites not just your's so I now suspect it was something to do with a very 'pushy' advert or advert supplier...

0 likes

Hopefully the privacy popup should stop tomorrow - we'll see. 

Also, some quite severe steps have been taken on the new mobile site to limit access on the supply side - basically a load of ad channels have been blocked to see what effect that has. 

@Brooksby - hmm… that is odd, so far we haven't really been getting any reports of issues on desktop browsers and it's not a problem we've been able to replicate, that said none of us are using Edge - it's all Chrome, Safari and Firefox in these parts - in the past when we've had issues with annoying ads/popus on desktop the road.cc team have all got them too. 

We'll flag it up with the ad platform that handles our desktop traffic, see what they have to say. 

bigshape | 5 years ago
0 likes

the mobile version is pretty irritating.

if i can be bothered to go through the steps i change it back to classic view, although then having a tab taking up a chunk of the screen prompting me to switch back to smartphone view is also rather annoying...

Hirsute | 5 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't consider using a browser without an ad blocker. The number of ad related malware incidents even from legit sites is too high to risk your phone or pc being compromised.

0 likes

If you can take screenshots of the ads when they appear on your mobile and post them here that would be a big help. We've already had a word with both our ad channels (though we suspect this is an issue that only affects the new version of the mobile site). We were told that the demand sources identified as being responsible had been shut down last week - so if they are still appearing we'd like to know.

Also is anyone else getting the privacy popup on the new version of the mobile site shout - I get it every time I visit the site, but not on the classic version. Bloody annoying.

fukawitribe replied to Tony Farrelly | 5 years ago
0 likes

Tony Farrelly wrote:

Also is anyone else getting the privacy popup on the new version of the mobile site shout - I get it every time I visit the site, but not on the classic version. Bloody annoying.

Yep, getting that - same as you, not on the classic version.

bobbinogs | 5 years ago
0 likes

I was plagued by the "you have won xxxx on Amazon" pop up...and simply started to avoid Road.cc as it always seemed to be the source. Firefox (instead of Chrome) seems to have stopped it now.

Rich_cb | 5 years ago
2 likes

Yeah I've been getting those again recently.

Firefox seems to put a stop to it.

The classic view thing is also incredibly tedious, it's like road.cc are actively trying to reduce the number of visitors they get.

muhasib | 5 years ago
0 likes

I get them on Android 7 most days on the site telling me what phone I use and I can win an iPhone, pretty annoying together with still having to switch to classic view to see comments.

brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'm using Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 PC (in the office) and the last few days it's popped up "What do you want to do with mapuser?providerid=... (345 bytes)? From usynch.nexage.com" when I first go to the site.

If I cancel it, then when i close the browser I get a warning that its still downloading/trying to download.

brooksby replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

I'm using Microsoft Edge on a Windows 10 PC (in the office) and the last few days it's popped up "What do you want to do with mapuser?providerid=... (345 bytes)? From usynch.nexage.com" when I first go to the site.

If I cancel it, then when i close the browser I get a warning that its still downloading/trying to download.

This is on a desktop PC, Tony.

Latest Comments