Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

2019 Season Competition

Oh yeah! It's here! I'm ready! Who's getting excited?  1 I can't wait! When's our first race?...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

17 comments

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

We're discussing now. The next race after Cadel is likely to be Tour of Oman (16th Feb), Algarve (20th Feb) if Oman isn't a popular choice. UAE (24th Feb) after that.

Spring Classics starts at Omloop (2nd March).

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

We're discussing now. The next race after Cadel is likely to be Tour of Oman (16th Feb), Algarve (20th Feb) if Oman isn't a popular choice. UAE (24th Feb) after that.

I would liketo see the UAE tour included with Oman filling the big gap in WT programme in February.

The new UAE tour is now a combination of the old UAE and Dubai Tours and looks interesting. One TTT, 2 mountain finishes, an uphill sprint stage and 3 sprint stages, and always the chance of croswinds in the desert.

The Tour of Oman is always quite interesting and throws up a few surprises, it also finishes before the UAE tour begins. A problem with Oman is the reduced number of WT teams (7) but at least the other teams are all Proconti.  Another problem has been limited TV coverage.

I think the Algarve race is a bit boring and predictable. Again the number of WT teams is limited (12 this year) but with only 3 PCT teams, the other 9 are small Portuguese teams.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sounds good to me.

Condor Andy wrote:

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Is there any news on which upcoming races will be covered?

I need to plan my holidays 

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
1 like

Are we getting a Tour of Colombia?

Whether we are or not I’m utterly amazed at the quality of climbing field they’re managing to put together. To then set a race with four flat stages one hilly stage and just one summit on the final day in a country like Colombia, and with a field like that, just seems a bit daft.  Who exactly decided that mad route? I can’t help but think they’re missing their chance to propel themselves forward.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Whether we are or not I’m utterly amazed at the quality of climbing field they’re managing to put together. To then set a race with four flat stages one hilly stage and just one summit on the final day in a country like Colombia, and with a field like that, just seems a bit daft.  Who exactly decided that mad route? I can’t help but think they’re missing their chance to propel themselves forward.

I guess that teams and riders are getting paid a lot of money to participate in Columbia. For Froome & Nibali to attend they must be paying a lot.

During the season races generally get more and more difficult as they build up to the Giro & Tour.

A difficult parcours at this time of the season will probably do more harm than good and riders probably wouldn't participate.

The promoters of the race will want to show off the local heroes - Gaviria, Hodeg, Uran, Bernal, Quintana, etc. and make them look good by paying for a few big stars to come along.

I actually  prefer that races like this aren't included in the competition as it is not serious racing.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Aye...I agree with all that...but surely just the one climb at the end of the race is still somewhat on the skinny side for a field like that and given how the Colombians like their climbers....the term “short changed “ springs to mind. 

I’ve always felt Colombia should have a major race for itself...something similar to The tour of the alps in profile. 

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

I guess that teams and riders are getting paid a lot of money to participate in Columbia. For Froome & Nibali to attend they must be paying a lot.

During the season races generally get more and more difficult as they build up to the Giro & Tour.

A difficult parcours at this time of the season will probably do more harm than good and riders probably wouldn't participate.

The promoters of the race will want to show off the local heroes - Gaviria, Hodeg, Uran, Bernal, Quintana, etc. and make them look good by paying for a few big stars to come along.

I actually  prefer that races like this aren't included in the competition as it is not serious racing.

littlegermanboy | 5 years ago
1 like

FAO Dave - I got 7th on Purist stage 4 but am missing the Top 10 Stage Finish competition badge.

jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
1 like

If there's one change you could make to the mobile version... can you stop the banner advert at the top of the screen changing size 'just' before I press the login button?

enrique replied to jollygoodvelo | 5 years ago
0 likes

jollygoodvelo wrote:

... can you stop the banner advert at the top of the screen changing size 'just' before I press the login button?

I think that happens on the desktop version too!  1

dave atkinson | 5 years ago
3 likes

TDU should be open tomorrow. there aren't many changes for the start of the year although i'm planning to update the UI over the course of the year to make it a bit more mobile-friendly.

enrique replied to dave atkinson | 5 years ago
0 likes

dave atkinson wrote:

... i'm planning to update the UI... to make it... more mobile-friendly.

Yay!  1

KiwiAmerican | 5 years ago
1 like

Thanks All! I joined last year and this is my favorite fantasy activity by far! I appreciate all the hard work and look forward to TDU 2019!

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
2 likes

Happy New Year all! Same cast behind the scenes as last year. I'll probably set up TDU and Tony will score, but we're still setting everything up  1

Edit: I think Dave is doing some tinkering behind the scenes  1

enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

We're in! Thanks to everyone! Who'll be running it? If you need any help, I'd be glad to help!  1 Thanks again! Happy Season to All!  1

enrique | 5 years ago
0 likes

Any news on the start of the season? You guys need a volunteer to populate start lists and post results? I'd be happy to help!  1

Lawman147 | 5 years ago
1 like

First race is normally TDU. But no sign of the 2019 comp starting yet.

Fingers crossed the guys are willing to invest so much time into doing it again this year.

Latest Comments