Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

UAE Tour

And so, onto the next stop in this season's world tour! Welcome to the inaugural UAE Tour, an amalgamation of the Abu Dhabi Tour and the Dubai Tour, this new race encompasses the best of both. On paper there looks to be something for everyone, with a couple of sprint stages, two summit finishes, a TTT and a couple for the rouleurs.

There are 2 PCT teams in Novo Nordisk and Gazprom-RusVelo to go along with the 18 WT teams, and no one is pulling any punches it seems. The classics men might be absent as stage 7 clashes with Omloop, but on the start list are defending champion Valverde, Dumoulin, Roglic, Nibali, Kwiatkowski, Porte, and many other contenders. And the sprinters field is stacked with Bennett, Viviani, Ewan, Gaviria, Kittel, and Kristoff all going along.

So what are you looking forward to? Who are you looking to pick above all others? All I'm hoping for are some crosswinds and carnage!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

98 comments

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Didn't make any transfers for today, my purist might have done okay though.

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

That didn't go badly for me.

Kurianov & Planet picked up some decent points and then 1,2 in the sprint.

Roglic back in for tomorrow, keep Gaviria & Moschetti in.

Then 3 more sprinters in for Saturday.

Things are looking up  1

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Doubt it’ll be much different to a lot.

Roglic Valverde Buchmann Gaudu Martin....Halvorsen Moschetti...Leezer.

That’s me for tomorrow with two transfers left....which won’t be getting used on Ewan.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Took Gaviria out for Buchman will swap them back tomorrow

Roglic

Valverde

Gaudu

Buchmann

Kittel

Moschetti

Leezer

Halvorsen

Made my mistakes for stage 3 and used too many transfers. One day I'll find a way to deal with that.

Good Luck Guys

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Off topic...What do you think folks?...Entry level Raleigh circa 1990..but a looker...Should I ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Racing-Bike-Raleigh-Pro-Race-12-Speed...

Currently riding a Cannondale CAAD8 but just don’t love it...never will....

triccky100 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Here we go:

Valverde

Roglic

Gaudu

Martin 

Buchmann

Kittel

Kurianov

Moschetti

2 changes for tomorrow 

0 likes

No sign of Planet or Kurianov in today's break.  2

Viviani in the break, probably looking to take the points jersey.

0 likes

I should have kept Viviani rather than Gaviria but otherwise an OK stage.

3 sprinters if for tomorrow, hopefully we can have a repeat of Stage 5 finish  1

GAVIRIA
BENNETT Sam
GAUDU
VIVIANI
KITTEL
KURIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Mmmm. Up to 16th...Viviani Gaviria Halvorsen and Moschetti my four for tomorrow. Gonna need a big day for Halvorsen to compete with all the Kittel picks....quite a few with five sprinters as well....strange how sometimes we just seem to be swimming against the tide...

triccky100 | 5 years ago
0 likes

Oh well, up to 2nd but was hoping that having the top 5 climbers would pick up a few more points and give me a bit of alead, but guess the climb was not hard enough. So its going to come down to final spinters picks....

0 likes

Went for Viv and Ewan for today, couldn't afford both Gav and Bennett.

1 like

Great battle in the Standard comp! Hitman held the lead going into today, but he'e been disposed by Triccky who takes the title by just 3 points over Tony.

DrWinston also waited until the final stage to leapfrog me and land a top 10. Minardi takes a joint 5th place.

0 likes

4th in the Purist

5th in Standard

Surprised I did so well considering I had Moscon & Kittel in purist and hald the standard stages.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

I'll settle for 10th...never felt in control of my picks throughout that game....

Usual disaster in the purist after a less than inspired GC heavy team.

Good news for me though. I've been in a ML with my brother (Wakey Wakey) who i spent an entire season thumping last year...every single race by a long way...which tbh is just a bit meh.

He managed a ninth in the purist...and getting up to speed now in the standard game with a 65th after some total disasters last year...Hopefully he's in the game now.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Last day blues, dropped 12 places to 18th in the standard and 3 places to 5th in purist, which I am very happy with. I have to do some work on my transfers, but I've picked up a few tips this week.

Thanks

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

That didn't go badly for me.

Kurianov & Planet picked up some decent points and then 1,2 in the sprint.

Roglic back in for tomorrow, keep Gaviria & Moschetti in.

Then 3 more sprinters in for Saturday.

Things are looking up  1

Going well Minardi. Just looked at the leagues...down from 10th to 26th...basically everybody who did well with Ewan inwards yesterday sat with big fat red arrows today. Could hardly transfer him out though for Viviani or Gaviria...weven thogh they were slightly better for the day as picks.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

That’s me for tomorrow with two transfers left....which won’t be getting used on Ewan.

My team for tomorrow -

GAVIRIA
ROGLIC
GAUDU
VALVERDE
MARTIN D.
KURIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

I decided it was better to leave Buchmann out and bring in an extra sprinter tomorrow.

Dr Winston replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Roglic

Valverde

Gaudu

Buchmann

Kittel

Moschetti

Leezer

Halvorsen

Made my mistakes for stage 3 and used too many transfers. One day I'll find a way to deal with that.

Good Luck Guys

Who did you bring in on day 3 ?...I also made that mistake when Nibali looked primed to go into the GC rankings.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

I should have kept Viviani rather than Gaviria but otherwise an OK stage.

3 sprinters if for tomorrow, hopefully we can have a repeat of Stage 5 finish  1

GAVIRIA
BENNETT Sam
GAUDU
VIVIANI
KITTEL
KURIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

Aye. Viviani is quite prone to grabbing points at intermediate sprints at times....in fact...has he not already done that once this season?...We need to remember that,

Lost my way in this race yesterday with the Ewan fail. Just hoping for top 20 now. Viviani Gaviria Halvorsen and Moscheti my only rides of note for tomorrow.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

My team for tomorrow -

GAVIRIA
ROGLIC
GAUDU
VALVERDE
MARTIN D.
KURIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

I decided it was better to leave Buchmann out and bring in an extra sprinter tomorrow.

Kurianov and Planet should see you over the line quite nicely for the avg instead of Buchmann or Kelderman....maybe better. You’ve played a blinder since you made your Roglic error. 

stevemarks replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

stevemarks wrote:

Roglic

Valverde

Gaudu

Buchmann

Kittel

Moschetti

Leezer

Halvorsen

Good Luck Guys

Who did you bring in on day 3 ?...I also made that mistake when Nibali looked primed to go into the GC rankings.

used 5 transfers bought in Nibali and Zakarin  2

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Aye. Viviani is quite prone to grabbing points at intermediate sprints at times....in fact...has he not already done that once this season?...We need to remember that,

Lost my way in this race yesterday with the Ewan fail. Just hoping for top 20 now. Viviani Gaviria Halvorsen and Moscheti my only rides of note for tomorrow.

Yes I should have remembered, Viviani going in the break in TDU cost me points.

Mountain Renegade did remember  2

triccky100 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

My team for tomorrow -

GAVIRIA
ROGLIC
GAUDU
VALVERDE
MARTIN D.
KURIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

Kurianov and Planet should see you over the line quite nicely for the avg instead of Buchmann or Kelderman....maybe better. You’ve played a blinder since you made your Roglic error. 

Very nicely played with Kurianov and Planet. I am up to 3rd with 6 changes left, hoping to come home strong!!

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Well that'll be my worst day of the season so far I suspect. No Viviani or Gaviria or Kittel should see me fall about a zillion places. 

What the hell happened to Ewan?

0 likes

My team for today

GAVIRIA
VIVIANI
GAUDU
VALVERDE
MARTIN D.
KUIANOV
PLANET
MOSCHETTI

Hopefully the 2 'break' riders can pick up points in all the last 3 stages.

4 transfers remaining.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

A bit thin on sprinters for today. 

Ewan, Halvorsen, Moschetti...Valverde, Roglic, Martin, Gaudu...Leezer.

Gonna need a few kindlies....Halvorsen to go big again, Valverde to drag the GC boys to a modicum of a respectable finish and about a gallon of luck.

Probably better off just hoping for damage limitation.

0 likes

Kristoff's derailer broke apparently and dropped his chain, so he might have featured better if not for that.

I only have 2 transfers left, saving them for the final stage.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Kristoff's derailer broke apparently and dropped his chain, so he might have featured better if not for that.

I only have 2 transfers left, saving them for the final stage.

Did it ?...apologies.

stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

Is it possible? They say good things come in threes. Back to back purist stage wins. Thanks guys you've obviously really improved my Purist play as I am usually rubbish at it.

Up to second overall too, I'm getting all excited like a small child again. 

Standard? I see a lot of familiar names side by side in the table, but I guess I'm going to struggle now as only 4 transfers left. nose bleed time.

0 likes

I got zero points on my purist team.....I was meaning to tinker it on Saturday night but was preoccupied with something else.

Did get 3rd on the stage in standard.

Pages

Latest Comments