Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris-Nice one of my favourite races.

interesting field

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

69 comments

MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

After recovering from a poor start to the race

I messed the final stage up, bringing in DeMarchi for Sanchez. Stupid decision again.

Having transfers left isn't always a good thing.  2

Sniffer replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

After recovering from a poor start to the race

I messed the final stage up, bringing in DeMarchi for Sanchez. Stupid decision again.

Having transfers left isn't always a good thing.  2

I dropped Kelderman which didn't prove a smart move either.

JohnnyRemo | 5 years ago
0 likes

*eats chicken dinner* smiley

0 likes

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse.

Jungels, Kelderman and Grosschartner did nothing for me today.

My purist team is now a complete disaster. I'll be dropping way out of contention in the main competition after an awful week. I dropped out Groenwegen & Kwiatowski for DeMare & Colbrelli for some reason :(.

Dr Winston replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Just when I thought things couldn't get worse.

Jungels, Kelderman and Grosschartner did nothing for me today.

My purist team is now a complete disaster. I'll be dropping way out of contention in the main competition after an awful week. I dropped out Groenwegen & Kwiatowski for DeMare & Colbrelli for some reason :(.

You think you have problems with purist?...try mine...worst two teams I've ever had.  Up to 9th in standard Paris/Nice though...so not all bad.

MinardiM189 replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

You think you have problems with purist?...try mine...worst two teams I've ever had.  Up to 9th in standard Paris/Nice though...so not all bad.

[/quote]

Your purist team is doing considerably better than mine  2

Probably my worst in 3 years.

stevemarks replied to MinardiM189 | 5 years ago
0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Your purist team is doing considerably better than mine  2

Probably my worst in 3 years.

[/quote] Really felt I had made a mess of this too, so one last throw of the dice and Up pop Martinez and Ciccone. My purist has been dire I am not even in the top 250 before today. lol

MinardiM189 replied to stevemarks | 5 years ago
0 likes

stevemarks wrote:

Really felt I had made a mess of this too, so one last throw of the dice and Up pop Martinez and Ciccone. My purist has been dire I am not even in the top 250 before today. lol

Jungels & Kelderman adding to my purist misery today.

I should have brough DeMarch into my standard team rather than Bardet.

But perhaps Bardet goes on a crazy attack tomorrow.

After today, I hope Kwiatowski finally learns that he will never be a GC rider, and goes back to doing what he does well - classics.

0 likes

I heard stage 6 could be neutralised or cancelled becasue of high winds.  2

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Source?...Makes the picks easier though....

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

MinardiM189 wrote:

Source?...Makes the picks easier though....

Cyclingmole on twitter.

I have looked at the weather forecast and it is pretty windy, 45kph wind with guts of 70kph.

It could well be worse when they cross valleys and gulleys.

Sniffer | 5 years ago
1 like

A better day for me, after being shocking up to now.

De Gendt, Di Marchi and I kept Colbrelli.  With Kwia and Bernal it wasn't bad.  I am lined up OK for ITT too.

No threat to anyone, I didn't have Groenewegen earlier in the week as I had decided he wouldn't cope with the wind.  Don't get many decisions more wrong.

Dr Winston replied to Sniffer | 5 years ago
0 likes

Sniffer wrote:

De Gendt, Di Marchi and I kept Colbrelli.  With Kwia and Bernal it wasn't bad.  I am lined up OK for ITT too.

No threat to anyone, I didn't have Groenewegen earlier in the week as I had decided he wouldn't cope with the wind.  Don't get many decisions more wrong.

Safe to say TDG will find his way into a lot of teams now...

He’s been very quiet for a while now...what made you think he would come alive this time?...

Sniffer replied to Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Sniffer wrote:

Safe to say TDG will find his way into a lot of teams now...

He’s been very quiet for a while now...what made you think he would come alive this time?...

I just didn't think any team would work hard to bring back the break.  Once you have decided that, and if you gamble that you are going to put somebody in the break, who is better that TDG and Di Marchi.  They are definitely serial breakers.

1 like

Finally got something right in this race, De Gendt and Madouas bringing home some decent points.

Utterly awful organisation by Bahrain Merida & Mitchelton Scott. They had both targetted this stage but neither team was prepared to work for the victory, not for the first that with these two teams screw up and let the break win a stage they shouldn't.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Break at 5.30. What's the maximum gap they can give them ?...Wind from the first two days may continue to play havoc with our picks becasue they may well just let them go with gaps being so big. 

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

Break at 5.30. What's the maximum gap they can give them ?...Wind from the first two days may continue to play havoc with our picks becasue they may well just let them go with gaps being so big. 

They could let the break win by 10 minutes and it wouldn't be a problem for the main GC contenders.

To bring it back I think they need to start chasing soon. Gap 6:30 with 105km to go.

Cort Neilsen must be favourite win now.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

They could let the break win by 10 minutes and it wouldn't be a problem for the main GC contenders.

To bring it back I think they need to start chasing soon. Gap 6:30 with 105km to go.

Cort Neilsen must be favourite win now.

I can see no reason whatsoever that the main GC teams will want to put in the effort to bring back such a gap. Maybe Trentin and Gilbert had their eye on a stage win but i doubt that would be enough to tempt them out.

0 likes

Dr Winston wrote:

I can see no reason whatsoever that the main GC teams will want to put in the effort to bring back such a gap. Maybe Trentin and Gilbert had their eye on a stage win but i doubt that would be enough to tempt them out.

Quickstep now have a rider on the front and the gap is coming down.

Mitchelton might give a hand later.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Dr Winston wrote:

Quickstep now have a rider on the front and the gap is coming down.

Mitchelton might give a hand later.

Good. A nice day for either of Jungels or Gilbert actually. 

Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

My team:

KWIATKOWSKI
GILBERT
TRENTIN
DEGENKOLB
EWAN
GROSSCHARTNER
TURGIS
SANCHEZ

MinardiM189 replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

My team:

KWIATKOWSKI
GILBERT
TRENTIN
DEGENKOLB
EWAN
GROSSCHARTNER
TURGIS
SANCHEZ

I thought about keeping Ewan in too.

Looking at the make up of the break I think it could stick. I can't see who will work to bring it back.

0 likes

My team for today -

KWIATOWSKI
DE GENDT
KELDERMAN
JUNGELS
TRENTIN
MOLARD
MADOUAS
SANCHEZ

I made a cock up and brought in the wrong rider, so I had to waste a transfer putting things right.  2

0 likes

Damn it! Why didn't I get De Gendt in? Today is perfect for him to hoover up KOM points.

Dr Winston replied to Condor Andy | 5 years ago
0 likes

Condor Andy wrote:

Damn it! Why didn't I get De Gendt in? Today is perfect for him to hoover up KOM points.

Because the day you get him in is usually the day he misses the break and sulks at the back. Apart from the days when Minardi gets him.

0 likes

Windy , wet and thunderstroms tomorrow.  1

Looks like mainly a tailwind but could be cross/tailwind in certain sections.

0 likes

MinardiM189 wrote:

Windy , wet and thunderstroms tomorrow.  1

Looks like mainly a tailwind but could be cross/tailwind in certain sections.

Fast day coming up then. 

I wonder if Bernal and Kwia will ride a tandem?...they may as well do...

0 likes

I've made my subs for tomorrow, puncheurs over climbers, so Bernal is not there.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

I wonder if anybody will be getting Bernal tomorrow?....sheesh...That boy looks really, really good...smashed the conditions as though they didn’t exist for three days.

Dr Winston | 5 years ago
0 likes

Swapped Jakobsen and Kittel for Kwia and Sanchez as an insurance against the conditions. Marginal win for those swaps I think. Good for tomorrow as well.

Pages

Latest Comments