Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

A 'Thank You'

I came on here a while back to whinge talk about mental health issues, and about how I was working from home all the time and getting depressed.  Well, my company sort of 'noticed' that I'd not been in the office for three months, and I got my knuckles rapped.  Fair enough - working from home was always supposed to be 'occasional', rather than routine, even if in the grand scheme of things, nobody seemed to notice for much of those three months.

Anyway, they told me that I had to be on the premises at least four days, so I've been cycling into the office (actually working from home this week with managerial permission, as I have a slight chest infection). 

It was tough at first.  I had lost so much strength, so started off with two days a week, and worked up.  Whenever I'm off the bike for any length of time, there is a 'pattern' that I go through, until it stops being hell.  The first two weeks are torture, and by half-way through the commute, my legs are screaming blue murder.  My heart and lungs never seem to suffer - just my legs.    Then there's a fortnight where I sort of 'break even' and it's not fun, but at least not hell either.  Then the fun comes after that, and that's where I'm at now.

To make it even harder on myself, I bought a Genesis Flyer on the Cycle to Work Scheme, and have been commuting on that - it's a single speed, for those who didn't know.  Utterly brilliant bike, I love it.   The 'connection' between me and the bike, it feels like a train when it accelerates.   And now, my thighs have visible muscles again, albeit fairly indistinct ones.  And I can keep up with younger men on their carbon racers.

Anyway, I'm a lot better.   The effect on my mental state, from being in the office every day, has been very positive.   My wife has noticed that I'm a lot happier, and less 'morose' and 'introverted'.

All good.  Thanks to all of you who offered support and advice. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Simon E | 4 years ago
1 like

Excellent news!  wink

Had wondered how you were doing.

It would be nice if your employer/manager was interested enough to ask whether there was a problem (i.e showing genuine concern, not the passive-aggressive way trying to identify a weak link) but not everyone is that switched on to the warning signs while some simply don't want to know.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
2 likes

Glad that a bit of bike induced exercise and social interactions at work are having a positive effect. Plus the boost of a new bike purchase!

I've similarly lost a lot of fitness and decided to take the bike computer off the bars, as I was getting a bit annoyed at my lack of speed. I’m now just focusing on getting time on the bike and enjoying it, knowing that the fitness will follow.

brooksby replied to HoarseMann | 4 years ago
2 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Glad that a bit of bike induced exercise and social interactions at work are having a positive effect. Plus the boost of a new bike purchase! I've similarly lost a lot of fitness and decided to take the bike computer off the bars, as I was getting a bit annoyed at my lack of speed. I’m now just focusing on getting time on the bike and enjoying it, knowing that the fitness will follow.

Didn't Grant Peterson say it didn't matter how long you were on the bike on any particular day, just that you *were* on the bike.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
2 likes

Люблю братишка. (Love bro)
Ditto similar here. Cycling makes happy time here too bro.

brooksby | 4 years ago
1 like

Glad to hear you're keeping on keeping on! yes

hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
2 likes

Great to hear that you're recovering.

You may be glad of 'working' from home this week with the hot humid weather - I felt wiped out after cycling yesterday even though I was deliberately not pushing myself.

alotronic | 4 years ago
1 like

+1 on the Flyer, I like mine too - free added workout and love the connection a fixie gives you too. Glad to hear you are on the up.

cycle.london replied to alotronic | 4 years ago
0 likes

alotronic wrote:

+1 on the Flyer, I like mine too - free added workout and love the connection a fixie gives you too. Glad to hear you are on the up.

Using mine as a freewheeling single speed, but you're right about the workout.  1

HarryTrauts | 4 years ago
3 likes

Great news!  I hope things continue being good for you.

Latest Comments