Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Big cities are crazy

I can understand benefits of cycling in my small city yet seeing the scale of population higher. There's a lot of pre ten and just plain dumb arses.
Rode 120km. Started late peak traffic in morning, headed into city. Past the stand still using the bike path. Crossed the bridge, entered city, followed path and the bus came to last stop on route end other side of city while I was lost reading map, drinking water.
Into country , big wide turn, back into city with fresh shin snake bites.lol , and peak traffic again.. Besides a big Ndo avoiding bumper bar playing lego house fault line routing during an interswction cross junction..
It's quick enough on a bike, it's dancy, smily, get to look like an idiot while behaving with lion share of concentrate..
Cost here of bike was 243 days in lue of metro system.. Same cost home. 65 days in lue of public transport.
I guess I'm lucky at home to store bicycle in shed at work without the need of a security system. This city rocks though. Nice wide bicycle paths. Hilly steep bits are the city site. Glad the brakes work.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

I see why wider tyres are the bees knees. To maximize average speed, combination of road and shared pedestrian /cycle paths means hopping up small gutters often plus a lot of these roads have potholes.
Started day with 123km. Nice route. Starts flatish about 70km then into rolling 6% then increases to 15% to gentle roll down.
Flat bars make the gutters easier but aren't as narrow in traffic and take from the top speed on the country.
While trying to pick up a chick, I met a bloke; her boyfriend. Now I have +2 friends. He's amazing. Into sailing and cycling. He rode partially around Europe on 700c23 with backpack holding a tent and has gone through tyres but never punctured. His friends used wider tyres and very few punctures. Trippy aye.
In a city where people look strangely at me while I pack a sturdy bag with fruit and veg while continually telling ," no bag, ""net bagget" (same thing).
Imagine the Pacific ocean. A garbage patch the size of Europe floats around growing at a couple of billion tonne of plastic yearly.
Diesel's cleaner than petrol. It looks dirtier.

Thanks to cycling, a person can travel far reasonably well behaved with regards to our planets health.

Now to get this bike home.  1 planning to build 1 more. It's that cost effective and still way cheaper than driving.
Loving cycling.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
0 likes

Just done a google. Adelaide is 404 per square km, Copenhagen 6,800.

BehindTheBikesheds replied to HoarseMann | 4 years ago
0 likes

HoarseMann wrote:

Just done a google. Adelaide is 404 per square km, Copenhagen 6,800.

that's more than London.

HoarseMann | 4 years ago
0 likes

It’s not how big the population is, but what the housing density is like. Some newer cities are designed for the car and very spread out.

CXR94Di2 | 4 years ago
0 likes

The small upside in Australia that most use petrol and not diesel

BehindTheBikesheds | 4 years ago
0 likes

1.4 million in a global context is a relatively small city but for certain parts of the world it's a large city, the largest are obvs metroplis or capital cities  which are the largest cities of a country or region.

Whilst London is fairly large in population it's not hugely dense, it's still safer to cycle in London than most other global metroplis/capital cities I would think, based just on road casualty rates.

I can't see most of these mega cities changing away from the motor car and investing in replacing the car with cycles until well beyond the end of the 21st century. It's not going to happen in the UK duing my life time I reckon.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

Well St Davids reportedly has a population of 1,600 people.

OldRidgeback | 4 years ago
4 likes

Well living in London as I do, I say you have to be crazy to want to commute anywhere regularly by car. London's population is about 8.1 million I think. Cycling is certainly one of the better ways to get around London and the number of cyclists on the road network has increased enormously in recent years.

I just got back from Paris, where cycling is also on the increase. As with London, driving in a car across Paris is extremely frustrating. Central Paris has a population of 2.1 million but the population of the greater Paris area is over 12 million now.

Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes

I'm Adelaide/Australia at 1.4 million
Here in Kiev/Ukraine is 2.8 million

So sunburnt dude.. Shady day syndrome.

brooksby replied to Boatsie | 4 years ago
1 like

Boatsie wrote:

I'm Adelaide/Australia at 1.4 million Here in Kiev/Ukraine is 2.8 million So sunburnt dude.. Shady day syndrome.

Call me old fashioned, but I don't think 1.4 million or 2.8 million are "small cities" 

I live just outside Bristol, in the UK, and I think the city tops out at about half a million.

How that's a small city! 

CXR94Di2 replied to Boatsie | 4 years ago
0 likes
Boatsie wrote:

I'm Adelaide/Australia at 1.4 million
Here in Kiev/Ukraine is 2.8 million

So sunburnt dude.. Shady day syndrome.

I really liked Adelaide when we visited Australia. Also Perth. Melbourne/Sydney although very nice were just too busy and pretty much same with all major cities

brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

What city do you live in, Boatsie?  What country? 

Latest Comments