Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Stupid Netflix question

OK, so my wife and kids have nagged me into getting Netflix; its installed as an app on my sons Xbox. I've signed up for Basic just to try it out. Basic allows one device - does that mean one device ever or just one device at a time?

(Can I also install their app on my wife's iPad and just make sure it's logged off the Xbox before watching anything on the iPad?  So, yeah, all this new fangled interweb streaming stuff really isn't my thing, hence the question...)

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
0 likes

Don't worry, you'll get bored stupid by it after 3 months max. If you're into sci fi you'll also find that Netflix are all about quantity over quality. It's just well made rubbish rather than badly made.

hawkinspeter replied to Rick_Rude | 4 years ago
1 like

Rick_Rude wrote:

Don't worry, you'll get bored stupid by it after 3 months max. If you're into sci fi you'll also find that Netflix are all about quantity over quality. It's just well made rubbish rather than badly made.

Altered Carbon was worth watching and of course Stranger Things is great fun. One of my favourite lesser known shows is the very funny Santa Clarita Diet (not really sci-fi though). Also, don't forget that Rick & Morty available too.

Currently working through the first season of The Expanse that I've heard a lot of superlatives about.

Rich_cb replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

Altered Carbon was worth watching and of course Stranger Things is great fun. One of my favourite lesser known shows is the very funny Santa Clarita Diet (not really sci-fi though). Also, don't forget that Rick & Morty available too.

Currently working through the first season of The Expanse that I've heard a lot of superlatives about.

Is The Expanse any good? Reading the books at the moment.

hawkinspeter replied to Rich_cb | 4 years ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

I haven't read the books but the show is getting better (only seen 6 episodes so far) as I've heard the first few aren't that great. One friend who's seen it really recommends it and I've seen more than one mention on ArsTechnica about it being the best sci-fi show: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/expanse-fans-no-need-to-worry-amazon-orders-season-5-of-its-new-sci-fi-show/

Incidentally, the same friend that recommends The Expanse is also a fan of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (haven't watched it myself).

Rich_cb replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

I haven't read the books but the show is getting better (only seen 6 episodes so far) as I've heard the first few aren't that great. One friend who's seen it really recommends it and I've seen more than one mention on ArsTechnica about it being the best sci-fi show: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/07/expanse-fans-no-need-to-worry-amazon-orders-season-5-of-its-new-sci-fi-show/

Sounds good, thanks, I'll give it a go once I've finished the next book.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

Incidentally, the same friend that recommends The Expanse is also a fan of Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency (haven't watched it myself).

The Expanse is on Amazon Prime isn't it?  Not Netflix?  I read the first two or three books: I liked the first one, but it all seemed to get a bit Out There (TM).  My favourite recent sci-fi novels have been Mike Brooks's "Keiko" series and Becky Chambers "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet".

(I got nagged into Netflix because my kids were desperate to watch Stranger Things because their friends all watched it and they were missing the references).

Has anyone watched The Umbrella Academy?  Any good?

hawkinspeter replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

hawkinspeter wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:
hawkinspeter wrote:

The Expanse is on Amazon Prime isn't it?  Not Netflix?  I read the first two or three books: I liked the first one, but it all seemed to get a bit Out There (TM).  My favourite recent sci-fi novels have been Mike Brooks's "Keiko" series and Becky Chambers "The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet".

(I got nagged into Netflix because my kids were desperate to watch Stranger Things because their friends all watched it and they were missing the references).

The first two seasons look to be on Netflix (tbh I just pirate them so I don't always register which platform it's on). https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80029822

I've heard good things about The Umbrella Academy and also Russian Doll, but haven't got around to watching them yet.

brooksby replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

brooksby wrote:

The Expanse is on Amazon Prime isn't it?  Not Netflix?  ...

The first two seasons look to be on Netflix (tbh I just pirate them so I don't always register which platform it's on). https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80029822

Excellent! I did try to find it but I had children shouting "Stranger Things! Stranger Things!" at me, and it kind of distracted me.

Hirsute replied to brooksby | 4 years ago
0 likes
brooksby wrote:

I quite enjoyed it. It has you guessing about how it will spin out.

Really enjoying Money Heist (sub titled) where a Spanish gang rob the Mint. Now that really keeps you guessing.

bobbinogs | 4 years ago
0 likes

One thing to bear in mind is that the Basic package does not stream HD, whereas the Standard one does. This, and the 2 concurrent devices, made it the 'goto' option in our household. There is a good 1 month trial FOC, which comes without any real gotchas.

Hirsute | 4 years ago
1 like

It's the number of concurrent users.
Make sure only you know the password, otherwise your kids friends maybe logged on, locking you out (well until you login on a pc and kick them off ).

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 4 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

It's the number of concurrent users. Make sure only you know the password, otherwise your kids friends maybe logged on, locking you out (well until you login on a pc and kick them off ).

Thanks for that: that makes sense, and point taken.

Tbh I thought about trying to work it out from their faq but it seemed easier to just ask someone who uses it yes

Latest Comments