Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

No ‘carmageddon’ on auto-free Market Street. Study shows bikes and buses benefit

//i.imgur.com/80H9qGK.jpg)

From: https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Results-of-car-free-Market-Street-so-so-for-SF-15087210.php

Quote:

San Francisco’s car ban on Market Street — introduced a month ago after 10 years of handwringing — has barely affected motorists, with almost no spillover traffic on side streets. But it’s a huge improvement for buses, streetcars and bicycles.

Congestion increased only marginally on nearby roads, according to new data from the traffic analytics firm Inrix. It shows that the biggest slowdown occurred on Mission Street, where southbound vehicle speeds decreased by 4% — from 10.3 miles per hour to 9.9 miles per hour — during the 8 a.m. commute. On other adjacent streets, car speeds declined by an average of 1%.

On the flip side, transit riders on Market Street benefited significantly from the removal of cars. Muni lines are running 6% faster on average, said Erica Kato, an agency spokeswoman. Some bus lines shaved 12% travel time, which means rides are two minutes shorter.

Cyclists are thriving. Since the city banished private automobiles from its main spine on Jan. 29, the number of bicycles increased by 25%.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Simon E | 4 years ago
4 likes

Great news and thanks for posting.  1

I have started recording such items as I want to have as much evidence as I can to continue arguing for pedestrianising the centre of Shrewsbury and making the town as a whole more ped- and cyclist-friendly.

hawkinspeter replied to Simon E | 4 years ago
2 likes

You're welcome and good luck with your fight against the gammons.

We're actually due to visit San Francisco in April, providing that airports are still functioning, so I was pleased to have an opportunity to search for squirrel related San Francisco imagery.

Latest Comments