Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

BristolPost race from Avonmouth to Centre - bus v train v car v bike

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

brooksby | 4 years ago
2 likes

I saw that one this morning.

It's funny, because the Man on the (Avonmouth) Omnibus would think that a bike would be slower, since Avonmouth to Bristol Proper (OK, Hotwells) is basically a straight road.

The Man would forget that almost everyone uses the A4 Portway to get into Bristol from the M5 (the rest use the A369).

That screenshot in the article is par for the course, every single working day: reach the Sylvan Way junction (if you're lucky) and then travel forward car length - stop - car length - stop, etc etc for the next few miles.

jollygoodvelo | 4 years ago
2 likes

Typical Bristol Post though.  "Conclusion - public transport in Bristol is slow"

A more reasonable person would conclude: get a bike.

ktache | 4 years ago
2 likes

At some point the various media organisations might figure out that cycling isn't so bad, especially as a means of moving large volumes of people, especially for the commute.

Either that or start making the races so long that the cyclist might start haveing difficulties in winning.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 4 years ago
1 like
ktache wrote:

At some point the various media organisations might figure out that cycling isn't so bad, especially as a means of moving large volumes of people, especially for the commute.

Either that or start making the races so long that the cyclist might start haveing difficulties in winning.

There's not much money to be made from people commuting via bikes though.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of profit to be made in any method of getting people to work.

Most methods appear to require subsidies of some sort.

hawkinspeter replied to ktache | 4 years ago
0 likes

ktache wrote:

There doesn't seem to be a great deal of profit to be made in any method of getting people to work.

Most methods appear to require subsidies of some sort.

I dunno - there's been a fair bit of money made from selling petrol over the last century or so.

ktache replied to hawkinspeter | 4 years ago
0 likes

The huge oil companies make a lot, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of profit to be made in flogging the petrol at petrol stations.  I think they make a lot more from the convenience items they sell alonside the fuel.

Roads get huge amounts spent on them by government and local authorities.

Fuel is also sold to train companies and airlines, neither of which seem that profitable.  Flybe for example.

I'm guessing that it's the bulk extracting, refining and transport of fuel that makes the real money.

Latest Comments