Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Why has this only just.....

Been invented and we are not all riding around on these hubs already?

Every week or so, I take 10 minutes to have a look around Kick Starter and see whats new and if there is anything of interest.

THIS http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/486778887/hubdock-quick-release-rear...

Caught my eye big time. VERY interesting, why are all the pro teams not already into this? It doesn't look like new technology, just some brains and its pretty simple.

What do you think?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Never seen someone balance a bike like the guy does in that video.

Don't like it.

trikeman | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well spotted Gkam,
a cracking and engineering wise simple idea and to be honest with you once the 'big boys' see this mass production will be the norm.
I feel for the inventer as unless he gets someone to sponsor this sharpish and build them under licence, then our far eastern buddies will have these on ebay by the weekend - try fighting that with a copyright certificate, forget it.

As always, the simple ideas are good.

I hope this makes the inventer a little richer, not just someone copy it straight away and he's left with nowt.

Regards,

Trikeman.  3

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

it doesn't seem to me that it'd be hugely expensive to mass produce. it's always going to cost a bit more than a standard hub but it's pretty straightforward stuff. very clever idea

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I notice most of the comments are about it being affordable.

Its a new product, made by one person, its never going to be affordable for the average cyclist that way.

I am asking, why its never been used before? once the pro take something up, the prices start to tickle down to all.

Jaltham | 11 years ago
0 likes

I can see it being useful for the pros - the team mechanic can hop out of the team car with any wheel and pop it in without having to get the right ratio for each rider etc...

arrieredupeleton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sadly, I can't see it being commercially viable. If you are one of those people who find changing a rear wheel 'a complex and confusing task' then it's highly unlikely you're in the market for bespoke upgrades like this. You'll probably be in the demographic who pay Evans a tenner to fix a flat..not that there's anything wrong with that in itself.

It would need all pro teams to adopt this en masse - as would neutral service at races. Coupled with the anticipated move to disc brakes, the neutral service cars would need to get a bit bigger to accommodate all the variants of wheels....

notfastenough | 11 years ago
0 likes

That looks like a good step forward. Very interesting.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Looks ok for pros but expensive for the average cyclist, which is presumably why no bank will back them. Haven't had a serious problem changing a rear wheel for 23 years, but it is a pain.

Latest Comments