Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Aluminium Road bike frame with 30mm tyre clearance - without gimics

I am looking for a Road bike/frame with 30mm tyre clearance - to provide some comfort to UK's joke roads.

I don't want expensive gimics like roubaix future shock or isospeed or any other iteration of more engineered bike 'consumables.'

What are my options?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

Daniel Norton | 9 months ago
0 likes

Kinesis T

Size 54cm/Medium.

Shimano 105 with Ultegra level brakes....

0 likes

Nice and cheap, of course.

0 likes

I have a whole bike like that available.  Kinesis T.  Aluminium, fit 30-32mm clearance (28mm with guards) without guards.  Has mounts for guards and rack if req.  It is the precurser to the Kinesis T2/3.  Light aluminium frameset and takes rim brakes etc.

Let me know if you are interested.  It's fitted with shimano 105 kit  but the brakes are Ultegra level.

OnYerBike | 9 months ago
0 likes

With disc brakes now pretty ubiquitous and wider tyres becoming more normalised, most endurance road bikes (and even some more racey bikes) have clearance for 30mm+ tyres, so you have plenty of choice. You could go for anything from the bargain bucket Triban RC 100 (~£300) up to the luxurious Mason Definition (>£3,000).

You might need to narrow it down - budget? Intended use? Other must haves/must not haves? 

mtbtomo | 9 months ago
0 likes

Tifosi Rostra? They are sometimes badged as a gravel frame, but the tyre clearance isn't up there with serious gravel bikes but 38mm would surpass your requirements

Currently £379 at Merlin

kil0ran | 9 months ago
1 like

Have a look at Kinesis. Built with UK roads in mind, all current models have the clearance you need.

R2 - all rounder

RTD - race bike

Some are available as full builds If you want something even more versatile then they have a range of gravel bikes too - G2, Tripster, and GX Race.

the little onion replied to kil0ran | 9 months ago
0 likes

Or a 4S, if they are still making that. Absolutely endorse Kinesis bikes.

propagandazoo replied to kil0ran | 9 months ago
0 likes

Really like the look of these. Thanks for all the replies have some more options now.

Rich_cb | 9 months ago
0 likes

You can get a Genesis CDA for £650 at the moment.

Will take up to 40mm tyres IIRC. Comes with 35s.

I've got got a CdF which is steel but otherwise very similar. It's a great bike.

propagandazoo replied to Rich_cb | 9 months ago
1 like

Thanks for info.

TheBillder | 9 months ago
0 likes

If you're quick and either quite tall or not very tall at all, consider a Dolan Preffisio, available for £150 as a run out special. Takes 28 mm tyres with mudguards so can probably do 30 mm without. A friend of mine has one and likes it very much. Lovely paint as well.

propagandazoo replied to TheBillder | 9 months ago
0 likes

Nice bike just a little too close to tolerance for me.

Welsh boy replied to TheBillder | 9 months ago
0 likes

The worst frame I ever had.  Really unresponsive and really harsh over anything other than the smoothest road surface.  My friend had one too and thought the same, you have to wonder why they are so cheap.

Latest Comments