Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Big price cuts at Canyon.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/canyon-uk-bike-price-reductions/

Could the predicted crunch in the bike industry mean much cheaper bikes all round?

Or is this just a reflection of the much lower shipping costs from Asian manufacturers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

pablo | 1 year ago
1 like

I think we will see some massive discounts. Brands had to order from factories this time last year to book productions slots or even earlier with no real idea of what the demand would be Those bikes/frames have started to hit now and have no buyers. I'm sure in one of the trade mags Rose had 45000 frames they didn't have all the parts for. When they get them (they would have committed to buying them and may have paid for much of it already) it's likely to be slow sales. Imagine what some of the bigger brands have been waiting for. If giant is changing payment terms trouble is brewing. https://cyclingindustry.news/rose-bikes-bike-stockpile-hits-45000-on-mis...

Simon E | 1 year ago
0 likes

Carlton Reid warned of this a few weeks ago.

"The excess inventory from major brands in the post-boom bike industry is off-the-scale, I'm hearing."

https://twitter.com/carltonreid/status/1603036326433099780

I saw a youtube video last week alongside something I was watching that mentioned some huge discounts on Specialized MTBs. In the description he says "Specialized is running some crazy sales in a desperate push to get ride of their 2022 stock.". It's one of several industry videos he has posted in the last few days on the Daily MTB Rider channel - https://www.youtube.com/@DailyMTBRider

Rich_cb replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

I've been holding off replacing my best bike for a while.

Here's hoping for some spectacular reductions.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
0 likes

Still not got that Mason then?

Rich_cb replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

Nope.

I've been slowly buying upgrades for my Genesis, pretty much there now, just after a set of road wheels and a new crank.

Eventually will replace the frame and move all the components across. Mason still the front runner when I finally do it.

Ride On | 1 year ago
4 likes

£400 off a £10k bike,or £150 reduction on a £5k bike.

I am waiting for the return of the end of year sales where last years models are reduced by 20-30%.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Ride On | 1 year ago
4 likes

I was thinking 3-4% is not what I would call BIG cuts. 

0 likes

Add in inflation and it's a nearly 15% drop in real terms.

Not too shabby.

Simon E replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

Add in inflation and it's a nearly 15% drop in real terms.

But consider that, as mentioned elsewhere, other brands hiked their prices significantly in the last 2 or 3 years and now have warehouses full of stock you could argue that it may be resetting prices nearer to what they should be.

I'd hold off buying if you want to save a few quid but I'm not convinced you'll necessarily snag a massive bargain. I expect that the scale of the reductions will vary between brands and depend partly on the residual stock levels and how desperate the company is to shift them. Looking at the prices in that article, Canyon seem to be holding their nerve but perhaps they don't have lots of unsold stock and big loans.

TBH we don't know whether the big brands and their suppliers were forced into pushing up prices due to their own costs or simply taking advantage of a period when demand outstripped supply (or a combination of both things). But there was concern expressed back in early 2021 about investing too much in extra production only to find demand slumped... and lo that is exactly what has happened. The pandemic is over, petrol prices have stabilised and the clamour for new bikes seems to have diminished.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Rich_cb | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yet weirdly when the same argument is used that the nurses and public sector have had massive pay cuts during the years of austerity, it doesn't seem to sway the Government much and strikers are just mooching for money not deserved. 

0 likes

Yes.

Maybe Welsh Labour can show how to reward public sector workers appropriately?

The strikes are more widespread and have bigger mandates in Wales than England after all.

Latest Comments