Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

The bike building country on our doorstep

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

20 comments

peted76 | 2 years ago
1 like

Brexit is not to blame for the current lack of HGV drivers.. the issue with a shortage of HGV drivers is an old one in the UK specifically. 

WHY? Becuase in the UK we look on lorry driving as a crap job, which it is. It usually consists of stupid hours, constant pressure, terrible living conditions, being away from home and on top if that it's actually dangerous. Add in the added risks of migrant issues for which you might get prosecuted for (rightly) and throw in a pandemic which has made things very difficult to cross borders and there you have it. For 30years the british public have not tried to recruit drivers to it's aging population of drivers or change up the haulage industry in any meaningful manner, so year by year the lorries on our roads are driven by either foreign drivers working for UK firms or, and 'mainly', foreign haulage firms. Long distance HGV drivers get paid better for working for foreign firms, our most famous firm Eddie Stobart is considered an awful employer within the industry.  Also on the continent HGV driving isn't looked down upon like it is in the UK, they put up with all the same issues, but the service stations are often that bit nicer on across the pond. Even with a more 'respected job for driving and better pay' Europe has long had an issue with staffing HGV's, throw covid in the mix and it's simply tipped them over the edge. You get a few people off isolating more than you'd normally account for and due to everything being so lean and timed to the bare minimum.. well that's really why we're where we are.

I speak not with first hand knowledge but from my bestie who does speak with a career in long distance haulage.

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

I saw that too - really interesting. I want to go there now (although I'm not sure there's much to see as a passerby!)

Richard_pics | 2 years ago
6 likes

.....And then we bummed the chance of buying stuff competitivly thanks to the clusterfuck that is Brexit laugh

Rich_cb replied to Richard_pics | 2 years ago
2 likes

We can still buy tariff free from Portugal.

stomec replied to Rich_cb | 2 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

But then have to pay 20% VAT?  And customs duty could apply to some items as well?

hawkinspeter replied to stomec | 2 years ago
4 likes

stomec wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

But then have to pay 20% VAT?  And customs duty could apply to some items as well?

Wouldn't the 20% VAT apply no matter where you bought it from?

stomec replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
2 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

stomec wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

Wouldn't the 20% VAT apply no matter where you bought it from?

Pre-brexit the price I paid for goods bought in the EU and delivered to me included VAT that applied in the EU - I didn't have to pay extra.  Now when the goods are imported in to the UK I have to pay UK VAT of 20% on top of the purchase price.  

Rich_cb replied to stomec | 2 years ago
2 likes

And the purchase price no longer includes VAT.

It's a Europe (UK and EU) wide change to combat VAT avoidance.

Agreed long before Brexit.

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_3098

0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

And the purchase price no longer includes VAT. It's a Europe (UK and EU) wide change to combat VAT avoidance. Agreed long before Brexit. https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_21_3098

That would be good! However the link you sent seem to be talking about import to the EU which we are obviously not a part of.  Does the link say by how much EU sellers should cut their prices when selling to the UK?

And can you show me how many EU sellers (or just the Portugal ones) to the UK have cut their prices as a result?

Thanks

2 likes

The link also discusses sales between member states and who should charge VAT.

This scheme was agreed whilst we were part of the EU and has been implemented after Brexit. All rules regarding location of VAT charges are therefore identical for the UK.

I obviously can't show you exactly how many Portuguese sellers have cut their prices as that is impossible for me to find out.

What I can show is that VAT changes are nothing to do with Brexit.

Which I have done.

1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

The link also discusses sales between member states and who should charge VAT. This scheme was agreed whilst we were part of the EU and has been implemented after Brexit. All rules regarding location of VAT charges are therefore identical for the UK. I obviously can't show you exactly how many Portuguese sellers have cut their prices as that is impossible for me to find out. What I can show is that VAT changes are nothing to do with Brexit. Which I have done.

But this is not true. Sales between member states do not include the UK which is now not a member state?  Prior to Brexit I did not have to pay a uk based VAT charge, which I now do, and I would not have done so if we had remained in the EU.

1 like

Yes you would have done.

Read the link.

"From 1 July ... VAT must be paid in the Member State where the goods are delivered."

If the UK had stayed in the EU then VAT would be payable in the state of the customer.

As it is the UK has brought in the exact same legislation as the EU (agreed alongside the EU) meaning that the current situation regarding VAT charging in the UK for customers is identical to that if we had stayed in the EU.

1 like

If a bike or component is genuinely manufactured in Portugal it will, AFAIK, be tariff free.

VAT would be the same regardless of Brexit.

0 likes

Rich_cb wrote:

If a bike or component is genuinely manufactured in Portugal it will, AFAIK, be tariff free. VAT would be the same regardless of Brexit.

Origin rules on EU manufacture can be tricky.

And no VAT is now charged on imports to the UK

wycombewheeler replied to stomec | 2 years ago
2 likes

stomec wrote:

Rich_cb wrote:

If a bike or component is genuinely manufactured in Portugal it will, AFAIK, be tariff free. VAT would be the same regardless of Brexit.

Origin rules on EU manufacture can be tricky.

And no VAT is now charged on imports to the UK

which would also be the case if we had not left. It was not the case before, but it would be the case now, as Rich-CB has demonstrated.

However it would be collected by the seller, and I would expect normally included in the purchase price, rather than being an administrative hassle foe the recipient of a package.

Simon E replied to Rich_cb | 2 years ago
1 like

Rich_cb wrote:

But due to Brexit there aren't enough lorry drivers bringing the parts into (and across/around) the UK. Brexit has meant that there are also fewer workers in other areas that have a knock-on effect.

Brexit UK has also led to retail prices have been hiked,  due to logistical costs and/or 'supply and demand'.

And a significant number of EU online retailers will no longer ship to the UK due to Brexit, even shops with a sizeable number of UK customers.

But at least we have our fish. At least I think we have what has been termed 'our' fish.

Rich_cb replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
1 like

Yet bizarrely the number of EU lorry drivers increased after the Brexit referendum. Only falling dramatically at the start of 2020.

Maybe that was related to the end of transition or maybe it was related to the COVID-19 pandemic?

I know which seems more likely to me.

Prices are increasing rapidly everywhere, there are also supply chain issues everywhere. That suggests that Brexit is not the major driver for either of those issues.

brooksby replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
4 likes

Garage at Large wrote:

Fake news

But Nigel, there IS a Portugal!

OldRidgeback replied to Richard_pics | 2 years ago
5 likes

Ah, but the leave supporters still tell us we can buy unicorns instead. Who needs a bike when you can ride your unicorn?

chrisonabike replied to OldRidgeback | 2 years ago
3 likes

OldRidgeback wrote:

Ah, but the leave supporters still tell us we can buy unicorns instead. Who needs a bike when you can ride your unicorn?

Isn't riding a unicorn the horse equivalent of using tri-bars? Don't tell Signor Garage...

Latest Comments