Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Budget racy clothing?

I used to rely on DHB clothing etc for well fitting plain designed race fit clothing but even now they're heading up nearer the £100 mark for a jersey. 
Looking for recommendations of budget friendly race fit clothing brands. I've had a Google and any budget clothing is either garish or the opposite end of the racy scale. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
2 likes

Van rysel at Decathlon is what you want - good pricing and pretty good looking too

Captain Badger | 2 years ago
0 likes

Racy..... Oh, madam.....

Mungecrundle | 2 years ago
5 likes

"I've had a Google and any budget clothing is either garish or the opposite end of the racy scale."

I too googled "racy clothing" but Mrs Mungecrundle caught me and it's cold in the shed tonight.

peted76 | 2 years ago
2 likes

Simples.. buy aliexpress knock off kit one size too small to ensure 'race fit'  1

sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
3 likes

A second shout for Galibier here.

I don't know how they do it for the price they charge. It just shows how much the rest of the cycling clothing manufacturers are taking the piss really.

I've got a jersey and a few base layers from Galibier and all are excellent. 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
3 likes

x 3.

Not tried all their offerings but mainly got winter gear (jacket, tights, gloves) which is very good. You also get discounted kit at the trade shows when he is there. 

Secret_squirrel replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
2 likes

x4.   Just be careful on sizing.  Most of their stuff is UK fit.  Some (the nicer jersey's) of it is racing snake italian.  Im a medium in the former and a L/XL in the latter due to my man-gut.

OnYerBike replied to sparrowlegs | 2 years ago
1 like

I bought a pair of winter gloves from Galibier and I must admit I'm not super impressed. They are pretty warm, but the sizing is all over the place - some fingers are long, some are short; some are tight, some are loose; and the wrist cuff is pretty loose even when done up as tight as it goes. 

I'm not especially fussy about this sort of thing normally, but the stiching is also clearly a bit naff with lots of loose threads etc. 

They are warmer (and half the price) of the aging Gore gloves I intended to replace, but I've actually held on to the Gore gloves for the milder days, as those ones do fit "like a glove" so I prefer them when the extra warmth isn't required. 

I probably shouldn't judge a company based on one experience, and indeed I've had products from high end companies which have been equally disappointing, but I'd rather pay a bit more for something that I'm 100% happy with than cheap out and be slightly disappointed every time. 

AlsoSomniloquism replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

I bought a pair of winter gloves from Galibier and I must admit I'm not super impressed.

Out of interest which ones? I bought the old design Barriers a few years ago and don't have any of those issues? 

Secret_squirrel replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

Gloves may well be Galibiers "off the boil" products.

I have a pair of the Galibier Ardennes and whilst fit is fine they are more for Autumn shoulder days than even light winter imo.  Feel is good though. 

I would tentatively agree that they arent their finest product.   You do have to factor in them being half the price of anyone else. £30 for the Barrier gloves.

I have a pair of their Peloton mitts which are fine and workman-like.

The Ardennes socks though are a frikkin' magical bargain.   I have literally stockpiled some spare sets.

mdavidford replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm trying to figure out what autocorrect fail might produce 'Autumn shoulder' and coming up blank. Is it just an idiom I'm unfamiliar with?

I have a strange picture in my head of people trying to wear gloves on their shoulders.

sad

Secret_squirrel replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
0 likes

Shoulder days are those days where the weather is most definitely on the turn from summer to winter. Bit of a tautology with Autumn tbh...

mdavidford replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - never heard that one before. I guess from the idea of 'shoulder' as boundary area (like a hard shoulder)?

Your reply reminded me to go look it up - unsuccessfully, but I now know that 'shoulder dates' are those where demand for a theatre show etc. starts to fall away and you can't make a full house.

Every day's a school day. 

kil0ran replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
1 like

Standard jargon for the holiday industry too. Top tip: August bank holiday is usually a shoulder week, particularly if the month ends on Tue/Weds, because schools go back in the first few days of September (earlier north of the border)

matthewn5 replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got a pair of their Barrier gloves in XL, and the thumbs are a bit short. Must be something they're known for.

OnYerBike replied to AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Barrier Deep Winter gloves (bought late 2020 - I don't know how often the design changes).

AlsoSomniloquism replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

The website seems to show a white / black higher vis type design where the ones I bought (2019 for the cycle show brum) were all black.

As others have mentioned it, maybe my digits are different weird lengths which is why I haven't noticed an issue there. Definitely no issues on stitching though.

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
4 likes

Decathlon? The Van Rysel range is pretty racy but still relatively cheap. Triban range is even cheaper, but less racy. 

Another option is eBay - if you don't mind a bit of hunting you can get new or nearly-new stuff pretty cheap. I've picked up Rapha jerseys (new with tags) for <£50. A good place to start is https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/trisportresort - that's where Wiggle/CRC flog off returns that can't be sold as new anymore (but often are new just in damaged packaging etc.)  

Compact Corned Beef | 2 years ago
2 likes

https://www.galibier.cc/ - 45 notes for a jersey on average, 50-80 for bibs, loads of other great bits. I've got a Gabba-esque short sleeve and a gilet and a good few pairs of socks  1

Latest Comments