Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cable Rattle Fix

Speedster 10 2018 model.

I’ve just started servicing the bike and noticed that there is gear cable rattle in the open shell on the frame, grommet/endcap one end open on the other, with an exposed cable in the frame.

I was wondering, if from new, the bike had some anti-variation cable set-up, or is there an after-market product for this. I’ve looked at the tube liner, normally used on a frame sealed by a grommet/cable end at both ends, and the anti-vibration foam for cable sleeves. The liner will be susceptible to water/dirt getting in from the open ended shell, and the foam sheathing is meant for a cable sleeve and wears through in time if used on a bare cable.

Appreciate any help you may give.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

HoarseMann | 1 year ago
0 likes

Probably not this, but worth checking the front and rear mech cables haven't got twisted around each other inside the frame. Unbelievably a collegue had this on a brand new high end bike.

Another thing to check is that the cable guide under the bottom bracket is bolted in the right place. On my bike there were two mounting holes and as it was supplied new from the manufacturer, they'd bolted it in the wrong place! This meant the cable line was slightly out and gear shifts were sluggish to say the least.

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Is there space from the shell end to fit the little rubber cable donuts you sometimes see on bare cabled bikes? Alternatively, would it be possible to run full length housing? A zip tie might also work if there's enough space, it's what Shimano use to stop Di2 cables rattling

Stuart Jones replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Hi Kil0ran,

Thanks for the response.  Seems like a massive design oversight not to predict a cable rattle!  The little rubber donuts might work as the rattle I think is coming from the open shell end near the BB, as this is where the cables are closest to the frame to rattle, and where the rubber sleeve was, before I had the rattle. The body of the frame is not set up for a hose all the way through, no stops for the end caps. I'll look into the donuts, cheers

brooksby replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

I always found those little rubber doughnuts - if we're thinking about the same thing - gradually just wear away and disappear.

Latest Comments