Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Carbon bikes too stiff for lighter riders ?

Is the trend for fitting larger volume tyres to carbon road bikes an admission that the frames are too stiff especially for lighter riders? All bikes have to be designed and manufactured for the safety of the heaviest riders, I don't think a 65 kg rider on any carbon bike even a sportive model will feel any of the comfort advantages associated with this type of bike if it has been designed to be safe for a 120 kg rider, hence I'll be adding my 28 mm tyres running 70 psi, a carbon seat post,and the best cycling shorts I can find, anyone agree?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

29 comments

BBB | 2 years ago
7 likes

"...Is the trend for fitting larger volume tyres to carbon road bikes an admission that the frames are too stiff especially for lighter riders?..."

Large volume tyres are fitted to almost all, not just carbon bikes these days.

Perhaps it's an admission that the role of pneumatic tyres is to provide suspension not to emulate wooden carriage wheels? As we all? know, vehicles with effective suspension roll faster. In other words it's progress driven by science and common sense rather than the strong convictions of some local club "gurus". 

In comparison with suspension travel offered by tyres which can be easily observed and meassured, any "vertical compliance" of the frame is almost insignificant. Oh, and let's don't forget about the seatpost and saddle flex, too. The feel and comfort of a bike is almost entirely dictated by tyre setup, fit and contact points. 

BSA rules replied to BBB | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hi all, thanks for the posts/ /ideas, now I feel like I've fallen for the sales, reviews,marketing hype sucker punch! I would have been a couple of thousand pounds better off if I'd have just swapped the tyres/bar tape/seat post/higher stem and saddle on my 2005 Trek madone, looking at both bike's the trek has smaller diameter carbon tubes everywhere including much lighter looking forks compared to the huge looking tubes and forks on my new sportive/endurance bike,ah well we live and learn, thanks for all the posts.

Chris Hayes replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
0 likes

Dump it on eBay....there's still a shortage of bikes.

0 likes

Hi all, thanks for all the posts/advice, I addmit now it looks like I've fallen for all the marketing/reviews/ hype, maybe i would've been much better off updating my 2005 trek madone with bigger tyres/higher stem/better bar tape/and comfier saddle as advised. Looking at both bike's together, the trek has smaller diameter frame tubes everywhere as well as much thinner forks compared to my "endurance/sportive" bike with it's oversized but trendy frame and fork, it makes sense now that fitting larger tyres will make so much difference to comfort levels,but that's not what I read in the reviews, it's all about one bike in a test of many winning in the comfy bike stakes on the tyres it came with, ah well,we live and learn as they say, at least it's a cheap fix,I don't know why they bother with an endurance bike category just put higher bars and bigger tyres on a race bikeand Bob's your uncle!!!

EddyBerckx replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
0 likes

BSA rules wrote:

Hi all, thanks for all the posts/advice, I addmit now it looks like I've fallen for all the marketing/reviews/ hype, maybe i would've been much better off updating my 2005 trek madone with bigger tyres/higher stem/better bar tape/and comfier saddle as advised. Looking at both bike's together, the trek has smaller diameter frame tubes everywhere as well as much thinner forks compared to my "endurance/sportive" bike with it's oversized but trendy frame and fork, it makes sense now that fitting larger tyres will make so much difference to comfort levels,but that's not what I read in the reviews, it's all about one bike in a test of many winning in the comfy bike stakes on the tyres it came with, ah well,we live and learn as they say, at least it's a cheap fix,I don't know why they bother with an endurance bike category just put higher bars and bigger tyres on a race bikeand Bob's your uncle!!!

i doubt your 2005 bike will take anything bigger than 25mm tyres tbf

Thanks to bike manufacturer innovation disc brakes (and the wide widths they enable) are now commonplace - yet people have been raging against this "marketing bs" for years...it's not all a con and EVERYONE HAS A CHOICE!! 😜

0 likes

Adult bike Maximum weight limit
Unless otherwise stated, adult bicycles are designed to carry a rider of up to 120 Kg (18st 12lbs) and up to 20 Kg of luggage. All luggage carried must be securely mounted on the frame, uniformly distributed and fitted as low as possible, to minimize any adverse effect upon stability. The maximum total weight of the cycle, rider and luggage should never exceed 160 Kg. Unless otherwise stated, folding bikes are designed to carry a rider of up to 85kg (13st 5lbs) and up to 15Kg of luggage.

Recently Viewed

Hirsute replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
0 likes

Not sure that is right as a number of wheels state a lower mass than that.

Was that a quote from a website ?

andystow replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Not sure that is right as a number of wheels state a lower mass than that.

Was that a quote from a website ?

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/faqs/adult-bike-maximum-weight-limit.html

EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
2 likes

There's a massive, massive difference in feel depending on which bike frame/wheels/tyres etc you go for and I can't help but think you're over generalising here.

You sound like someone who wants a steel or titanium bike but doesn't want the weight penalty (they can be made pretty light if you are willing to spend a bit).

What bike are you on btw? You've tried different tyres and tyre pressures I take it? Tbh I'm not sure 120kg is the limit that manufacturers go to - I've had bikes where it's been 100kg. Don't forget people do load bikes up with accessories and bikepacking bags and so on and so they wouldn't want the hassle of making a too light frame that cracked all the time

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
1 like

I'm far from 65kg, but have two Ti bikes (Litespeed Siena and Vortex), two carbon (Factor 02 and Colnago C50) a steel frame (Gios Torino) and an aluminium / carbon Pinarello Prince all of which are set up similarly Thomson / Deda Stems / carbon bars, Fiz:k seats and I long since came to the conclusion that wheels are massively overlooked when judging ride comfort.  Only the Factor is post 2004. 

I can turn my C50 into a bitch by riding on stiff Shamal wheels on UK roads that are smooth as silk on better road surfaces.  And Mavic Ksyrium wheels seem to shake my vertebra apart. 

That said, these are all decent, well built frames. I suspect that if you were to pit a cheap aluminium frame against a mid range carbon Roubaix with similar components then the Roubaix would be significantly more comfortable.  Higher volume, lower pressure tyres will enhance the comfort of any bike -  if the road surfaces are bad enough (i.e. if you live in the UK).  

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Cervelo recently admitted that the old R5 was too stiff (admittedly this admission only came in order to plug the new, less stiff R5...). But I do think you're right - until recently, it was viewed as stiffer = better, and that mantra has driven design of modern bicycles. However, I also think there are signs of that changing, for a few reasons:

Firstly, more real-world data. It's easier than ever to look at power and speed data, and work out what actually works and what doesn't. We don't have to rely on what "feels" fast before - which is good because "feeling" faster doesn't always translate to going faster. 

Secondly, there's (some) recognition that comfort is related to performance - so even if your machine is a few watts slower, if this means the rider is able to keep up for longer, then that will be worth more.

Thirdly, I think it's fair to say that it makes a difference which bits of the system are stiff, and which bits are compliant. I'm no engineer, but it certainly seems to make intuitive sense that a stiff frame with large, supple tyres would be better than a flexible frame with solid tyres, even if the total amount of "flex" in the system is similar. 

BSA rules replied to OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hi, thanks for your input, I can only say that I chose a carbon " sportive" bike after reading lots of reviews, and I wanted the extra comfort discussed in the reviews with this type of bike,I am fully aware that I was choosing comfort over outright speed, I would assume that's why most riders make this choice, the more upright riding position is better for me, but I am disappointed to find besides the more upright riding position that it's lack of comfort on the rough sections of road is a major disappointment and similar to my now ageing carbon 2005 Trek madone 5.2 SL it was bought to replace.

Miller replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
0 likes

Comfort is heavily influenced by tyre pressure. What pressure do you run?

BSA rules replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
0 likes

If the design brief is to "accomadate" a 120kg rider surely they would have to add more carbon fibre to the frame making it stronger and stiffer ? Making the bike less accomadating for a rider that's half the weight it was designed for?

wycombewheeler replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
3 likes

BSA rules wrote:

If the design brief is to "accomadate" a 120kg rider surely they would have to add more carbon fibre to the frame making it stronger and stiffer ? Making the bike less accomadating for a rider that's half the weight it was designed for?

no necesarily, It is likely to oriovide the optimum ammount of flex for an average 80kg rider, while heavier riders will get more flex (but still be close to breaking) and lighter riders will get less.

I don't see why this would be different with any frame material.

But of course the real point of NGs post was to remind us that we are inferior cyclists to him because he rides 23mm tubes, and that anything more is only needed by people who are not in optimum shape, the same as riding 11-25 cassette.

srchar replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
5 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:
Quote:

Is the trend for fitting larger volume tyres to carbon road bikes an admission that the frames are too stiff especially for lighter riders?

No, it's an admission that the target market is generally getting fatter. Fat tyres for fat arses, anyone riding 28mm or above is tacitly admitting this.

...or perhaps the target market simply has the pleasure of riding on the UK's decrepit road network, with the potholed, cracked and patched-up stretches of tarmac that qualify as roads.

Hirsute replied to srchar | 2 years ago
2 likes

I certainly prefer 32s at 65 rather than 25s at 85 given the state of roads around here.

Plus if I use the odd bit of uneven cycle track, it is much easier.

Simon E replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
4 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:
Quote:

Is the trend for fitting larger volume tyres to carbon road bikes an admission that the frames are too stiff especially for lighter riders?

No, it's an admission that the target market is generally getting fatter. Fat tyres for fat arses, anyone riding 28mm or above is tacitly admitting this.

While the population has been getting heavier on average that is over a far longer timescale. Or do you mean the recent rise of the MAMILs?

As for fat arses riding 28mm, I weigh 60kg and after years on 25mm I now ride 28mm tyres (~55 psi) on the crappy roads of Shropshire. I have 32mm that I intend to try presently to see if it makes any difference. Do I need to do my food shopping at Greggs?

As others have stated, the stiffer = better marketing bullshit has been around for a while. The power we put through the pedals is a fraction of pro riders, we don't need oversized head tubes and ovalised 'drainpipe' downtubes but the brands want us to believe... It's the same as the shoe stiffness bollocks and the lightweight bullshit - "Your wheels are heavy. Shave of 300g with these wheels and you'll fly up those hills". It's just bullshit. But it sells.

BSA rules replied to Simon E | 2 years ago
1 like

Nice one, exactly, I should know! My old bike rides( 05 carbon trek madone)feels just as supple as the few big tubed, dropped seatstays modern bikes I've tried. I wonder if the frame on the madone was ok for Lance when he won all those TDF'S? I didn't hear him complain it wasn't stiff enough!

EddyBerckx replied to BSA rules | 2 years ago
1 like

BSA rules wrote:

Nice one, exactly, I should know! My old bike rides( 05 carbon trek madone)feels just as supple as the few big tubed, dropped seatstays modern bikes I've tried. I wonder if the frame on the madone was ok for Lance when he won all those TDF'S? I didn't hear him complain it wasn't stiff enough!

yeah you might wanna check his Wikipedia entry, it's been updated in the 16 years since you last looked 😜

BSA rules replied to EddyBerckx | 2 years ago
2 likes

Ha,ok, substitute"won" for "competed in" 🙄

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
3 likes

I have a carbon framed endurance bike and a ti gravel bike with similar width tyres both running tubeless at 70psi sometimes 65.
The carbon is a little stiffer at the same pressure but there is less than 10 psi worth of comfort difference. I used to have an 853 steel bike which was somewhere between those 2. I'm 72-74kg. 

You're overthinking it tbh. 

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
3 likes

I've been thinking about this too over the summer, as I rode around on my 21 year old steel framed Brian Rourke 653 with its lovely curved fork blades. The bike still has a 700x23C on the front on a nice wide 19mm modern rim. Despite this unfashionably narrow tyres - there's a 25 on the back - the Rourke has an absolutely sublime ride quality.

Meanwhile I see all these modern bikes with super rigid straight carbon forks, necessitated we are told because of the forces from disk brakes, and needing fatter and fatter tyres - and fatter rims to match.

Have we lost the plot with these ever stiffer frames and resulting ever fatter - and heavier - tyres?

BSA rules replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
2 likes

Hey Matthew, thanks for your response, after spending big money on a " carbon endurance bike" in size 53cm, I find it overly harsh on anything but perfect road surfaces, I think it would be an idea for a manufacturer to design a more compliant endurance road bike for lighter riders with a say an 80 kilo weight limit, like they do with some road wheels, cheers.

Geoff Ingram | 2 years ago
1 like

Well an aluminium bike will also be built for 120kg, so it evens out. I had mountain bikes (on one 456) in ti, steel and carbon and the carbon was vastly superior in comfort while losing little in stiffness. But rather lacking in crash tests, which is why I got the ti. Road bike PX carbon again more comfortable even on thin tyres But aluminium perfectly OK. I always feel good bike fit is the most important followed by tyres.

Welsh boy | 2 years ago
3 likes

At around 66kg I can honestly say that the 3 carbon frames I have owned have been much more comfortable than my 4 aluminium frames.  Save your money, dont buy a carbon seatpost, I have had 1 snap, 1 delaminate and one deform around the clamp bolt, the deformed one was a Cinelli, the delaminated one a cheap eBay job and the snapped one was a Selcof.  Think about it, the transmission route for road buzz from road to your bum is through tyres, wheels, frame, seatpin, saddle and shorts/tights padding to your bum, how much difference do you think the seat pin makes in that combination (forget the marketing rubbish)?

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
3 likes

I'm not a light rider myself, but I don't hold a lot of faith in frames being that flexible or absorbing road buzz beyond a minimal amount. Tyres are especially good at deforming and absorbing shocks and rough surfaces, so 28mm at around 70 psi is what I use - you may well want to drop your pressures if you're only 65kg (I'm probably around 85kg at the moment).

Dnnnnnn replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like

I was interested to note Lizzie Deignan claiming to have run 2.3bar/33psi in her tubeless tyres in the Roubaix race. Hard to believe - I've probably blown balloons up with more pressure than that - but a direct quote, apparently.

hawkinspeter replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've unintentionally ridden with a tubeless tyre at around 20psi, but it was very squirmy and the rim bottomed out on ironworks and potholes.

Latest Comments