Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Chainline on a 1x Set-Up

Hi,
Be grateful for views and experience. I am building my own bike, first time but I have done extensive research    . I am going for a 1 x 11 set-up and it is for use as a road / gravel / firm off-road bike, so the tyres will be approx between 30 to 35mm. My question is how important is it to get the 'perfect' chainline given that: a) there is only one drive chain and skinny tyres so little chance of chainrub, and b) modern chains are a lot more flexible. I am not saying I will be lining up with cogs 1, 2, 3, 8, 9, 10 or 11. But if the line was somewhere between, say, cogs 4 to 7 would that be OK? Or do I really need to be aiming for the perfect line between drivetrain and 5.5 on the cassette?
Thanks all

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Ihatecheese | 2 years ago
0 likes

I changed my 2x roadbike to 1x as I amended to a flat bar. I lined up the chainlines with the 4-5 gear, more towards 4 as I pedal in the higher gears Vs lower on the flats round here. 

I used a combination of BB spacers and metal washers on the direct mount crankset to get it lined up correctly for me. 

Still if I had a cassette larger than around 28t then the chain may skip Down the cassette if you backpedaled. Fine with my 11-26 with a 40t chainring (so fairly easy gearing and the chainline was more of a challenge with larger chainrings).

If the chainstay was shorter then could cause more problems. It is 415mm on my frame. It's not a gravel bike, just a regular roadbike with bsa30 BB thankfully. so 24mm tires which are about 28mm when mounted on the roval rim brake wheels.

Walshinoz replied to Ihatecheese | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for this example. It may lead me to think it through a bit more. I have a 32t chainwheel and a Sunrace 11:46 cassette (my trip has some pretty tasty gradients!). Thanks for the advice on chainline and spacers etc. Much appreciaetd.

Cheers

Drinfinity | 2 years ago
1 like

According to Zinn, you would go for a 47mm chainline. This will give you best shifting and least wear.

Walshinoz replied to Drinfinity | 2 years ago
0 likes

Many thanks for the response. I've not heard of Zinn so I'll have a look at that. Appreciate the heads-up on that and the advice, much appreciated.

Cheers 

mike the bike replied to Walshinoz | 2 years ago
1 like

Definitely look him up, he is a genuine legend.  Skilled and versatile rider, mega-successful author, collector of useful facts, fount of technical knowledge and all-round good egg.  He's done it all and, despite the advancing years, is always looking for new stuff to do, even if it's done at a more stately pace.

Walshinoz replied to mike the bike | 2 years ago
0 likes

Wow, thanks for the tip. He certainly sounds like the kind of expert I need to read up on. Appreciate the heads-up.

Many thanks both

Latest Comments