Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Damage to tyres?

Hello Whilst fitting some mudguards I noticed these marks on my rear tyres. All pictures are in separate locations on the tyre and I think there was intermittent rubbing of the tyre in the frame. I have now adjusted this to ensure it doesnt happen again. Should I be concerned? They are marathon tyres and they have done about 2000 miles.

As you can see all the "damage" is on that whitestrip that runs round the tyre.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

AlsoSomniloquism | 1 year ago
1 like

Think I might have tracked down the cause for you. Rubbing mudguard.

Awavey | 1 year ago
6 likes

I'll preface my comment by highlighting I'm not a qualified bike mechanic so feel free to ignore anything I say or take it with a pinch of salt  1

But that disclaimer aside, I'd be happy to carry on riding those tyres, that silver reflective bit always seems to do that on tyres and Marathons are pretty solid anyway, as long as the inside is fine theyll be good to ride for a while yet imo

Simon E replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
3 likes

I'd second what Awavey says - that doesn't look like tyre damage to me.

I've beein riding Schwalbe tyres for years, the reflective strip is liable to peel away from the tyre, which I expect is perfectly fine.

Dnnnnnn replied to Simon E | 1 year ago
0 likes

Simon E wrote:

I'd second what Awavey says - that doesn't look like tyre damage to me.

I've beein riding Schwalbe tyres for years, the reflective strip is liable to peel away from the tyre, which I expect is perfectly fine.

Seconded.

AlsoSomniloquism replied to Awavey | 1 year ago
2 likes

Plus if they are Marathons, you do want to resist the urge to remove them just to look inside. 

TheBillder | 1 year ago
3 likes

That's a flesh wound. I got home from a ride with this (I did notice a slight variation to ride quality). Managed to resist the temptation just to glue it down...

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
5 likes

That white reflective tape looks like that often from new. Image one is the diagonal cut from manufacture, 2 looks like a wrinkle from manufacture and the 3rd a minor scuff. 

The marks further out - is that blue paint from the frame? Nothing though that looks bothersome to the tyre. Check the inside of the frame in case there is any scoring, but still looks fairly inconsequential.

Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

Looks superficial to me.

What does the inside look like though? That would be more informative.

Stucks123 replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks.

Inside all fine. No obvious lesions/damage

chrisonabike replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
3 likes

You meanie!  Now they've got to get them back on!  The tyre may be fine but their poor fingers...

Stucks123 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Image 3

Stucks123 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Image 2

Stucks123 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Image 1

Latest Comments