Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do Mechanical Rear Derailleurs Wear Out?

I've just bought a replacement 105 R7000 RD for my bike, as the shifting was getting pretty bad.
The price between just buying new jockeys wheels and a complete RD was about £10, after discounts/vouchers etc.

I understand that jockey wheels and cables wear out (effecting shifting), but does a RD?
Is a RD more of a: "it either works or it doesn't" piece of equipment, or do they wear out, causing shifting problems?

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

kil0ran | 2 years ago
1 like

The main spring will fatigue over time, as will the main pivot bushing. But R7000 is pretty new so I'm surprised it's already worn, unless you're doing mega miles?

0-0 replied to kil0ran | 2 years ago
2 likes
kil0ran wrote:

The main spring will fatigue over time, as will the main pivot bushing. But R7000 is pretty new so I'm surprised it's already worn, unless you're doing mega miles?

Thank you 😃
Just less than 9,000 miles done on the bike, but there are lots of hills. So plenty of gear changing.

hawkinspeter replied to 0-0 | 2 years ago
2 likes

0-0 wrote:
kil0ran wrote:

Thank you 😃 Just less than 9,000 miles done on the bike, but there are lots of hills. So plenty of gear changing.

I'd expect a derailleur to last a lot longer than 9,000 miles even with a lot of shifting. Far more likely to be jockey wheels and/or cables unless you've had some impacts on it.

0-0 replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes
hawkinspeter wrote:

0-0 wrote:
kil0ran wrote:

Thank you 😃 Just less than 9,000 miles done on the bike, but there are lots of hills. So plenty of gear changing.

I'd expect a derailleur to last a lot longer than 9,000 miles even with a lot of shifting. Far more likely to be jockey wheels and/or cables unless you've had some impacts on it.

I did crash the bike back in January on some black ice, on its drive side.
But ouch, the skin on my hip/leg took most of the damage.
I can't say I noticed any shifting problem directly after that time though.

1 like

It can be tricky to spot mis-alignment of rear derailleurs, but I'd expect any problems to make themselves known quite soon after the damage. I'd go for cables first as jockey wheels can easily last longer than 9,000 miles.

Cdl888 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Jumping in on this one. How specific are jockey wheels on shimano mechs? I have a Sora 9 speed equipped bike on my turbo that needs new jockey wheels but I'm unsure which I need. Any suggestions?

hawkinspeter replied to Cdl888 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Cdl888 wrote:

Jumping in on this one. How specific are jockey wheels on shimano mechs? I have a Sora 9 speed equipped bike on my turbo that needs new jockey wheels but I'm unsure which I need. Any suggestions?

Can't say that I've used Sora 9 speed, but I think jockey wheels are one of the less confusing bike parts so you just need to go for 9 speed jockey wheels (though I'd ignore Campagnolo ones as they're more likely to be incompatible with Shimano in general).

Wiggle only seems to show these ones: https://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-rd-m430-alivio-9-speed-jockey-wheels

Awavey replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Well I totally agree they shouldn't be confusing at all, but Wiggle there highlight the main problem, none in stock of that version, havent been for months, and you'll struggle to find anywhere online that does of that specific part, maybe a LBS have a drawer full of them but its difficult to find Shimano spare parts online for their lower range groupsets, you tend to find you have to use their 10speed components, so RD5700s are a good match, instead, but accept it's not quite like for like replacement.

Why Shimano cant just produce a set of generic bike bits, rather than hide it all behind multiple codes and keep changing them,making it feel like they are constantly reinventing the wheel all the time I dont know. It's like they think by the time these bits wear out,people just buy a new bike instead.

hawkinspeter replied to Awavey | 2 years ago
0 likes

Oops - didn't spot that they were out of stock (I usually tick that filter box when shopping for myself).

Here's some suitable ones on EBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/132888210884?var=432187554870

Those ones suggest that 7,8 and 9 speed jockey wheels are all compatible, so some shopping around may find some cheaper ones (or colourful aluminium ones).

Tom_77 replied to Cdl888 | 2 years ago
1 like

Cdl888 wrote:

The ones I bought have a list of what they're compatible with, think 3400 and 3500 are Sora. Got them from Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005DUIYQY

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm in a similar situation. I looked at prices and new jockey wheels were £11 and a new derailleur was £45, so I bought the jockey wheels. I have yet to fit them.

So did you manage to get a new derailleur for £21, and if so where?!?

0-0 replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes
Tom_77 wrote:

I'm in a similar situation. I looked at prices and new jockey wheels were £11 and a new derailleur was £45, so I bought the jockey wheels. I have yet to fit them.

So did you manage to get a new derailleur for £21, and if so where?!?

Halfords.
I used a combination of British Cycling discount, various Halfords vouchers (the type they give out when signing up to their email newsletter and when you give them your vehicle reg. no.).
I also got £10 off, because when I ordered the RD from my local branch, it showed as being in stock. But when I went to collect it, it wasn't. So complained via online chat, asking for a £10 voucher, as I'd wasted my time.

I looked around at jockey wheels, but didn't see any at £11.
Can you post a link to those, please?

Tom_77 replied to 0-0 | 2 years ago
1 like

Got mine from Amazon:

(£9.99)

0-0 replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes
Tom_77 wrote:

Got mine from Amazon:

(£9.99)

Thank you.
I don't think they're compatible with 11 speed??
It says 9 or 10 speed.

1 like

0-0 wrote:
Tom_77 wrote:

Got mine from Amazon:

(£9.99)

Thank you. I don't think they're compatible with 11 speed?? It says 9 or 10 speed.

Tom_77 was replying to Cdl888 who mercilessly hijacked your thread to ask for 9-speed jockey wheels. You'll want 11-speed ones if you're going to replace them.

0-0 replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
1 like
hawkinspeter wrote:

0-0 wrote:
Tom_77 wrote:

Got mine from Amazon:

(£9.99)

Thank you. I don't think they're compatible with 11 speed?? It says 9 or 10 speed.

Tom_77 was replying to Cdl888 who mercilessly hijacked your thread to ask for 9-speed jockey wheels. You'll want 11-speed ones if you're going to replace them.

Thank you.

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
4 likes

Having had problems getting into some of the smallest cogs, I dissembled my Athena rear derailleur (done about 5000 miles so far) and the pivots were completely dry. A bit of grease and a faff getting the pivot bolts back in but it does now shift cleanly down to the 12 cog.

Much more likely than 'wear out' is 'get bent', either the derailleur hanger or the jockey wheel cage can get bent through dropping the bike, parking clashes and so on, and that will affect shifting quality rapidly. I've a suspicion that the Athena mech has a slightly bent lower cage, because there's too much chatter from the chain going through the jockey wheels.

0-0 replied to matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes
matthewn5 wrote:

Having had problems getting into some of the smallest cogs, I dissembled my Athena rear derailleur (done about 5000 miles so far) and the pivots were completely dry. A bit of grease and a faff getting the pivot bolts back in but it does now shift cleanly down to the 12 cog.

Much more likely than 'wear out' is 'get bent', either the derailleur hanger or the jockey wheel cage can get bent through dropping the bike, parking clashes and so on, and that will affect shifting quality rapidly. I've a suspicion that the Athena mech has a slightly bent lower cage, because there's too much chatter from the chain going through the jockey wheels.

Thank you 😃

ktache | 2 years ago
2 likes

As they wear and age the bushings develop play.  Have a little go at the old and new one, you will be able to twist the older one, so the movement isn't just in the parallelogram.

The twist is most at the cage, where you want accuracy for shifting well.

0-0 replied to ktache | 2 years ago
0 likes
ktache wrote:

As they wear and age the bushings develop play.  Have a little go at the old and new one, you will be able to twist the older one, so the movement isn't just in the parallelogram.

The twist is most at the cage, where you want accuracy for shifting well.

Thank you 😃

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
3 likes

I have a few old derailleurs from the late 90s and early 2000s that have gotten by with a good clean every now and then (until I switched to wax rather than oil which prevents gunking up), but I've never known one wear out (apart from the consumables such as the jockey wheels).  Did replacing the RD fix the shifting?  Result if it did....

0-0 replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes
Chris Hayes wrote:

I have a few old derailleurs from the late 90s and early 2000s that have gotten by with a good clean every now and then (until I switched to wax rather than oil which prevents gunking up), but I've never known one wear out (apart from the consumables such as the jockey wheels).  Did replacing the RD fix the shifting?  Result if it did....

Thank you 😃
Yes, it fixed the shifting.

TheBillder replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
2 likes

A bit of play in the jockey wheels is a good thing (within reason) - the mech is just guiding the chain onto the right sprocket and that sets the alignment. My 1988 Suntour is working very nicely on a new Tiagra cassette, despite years of salty roads and general neglect. Perhaps they don't make 'em like they used to.

I realise I have gone a bit Fred Dibnah.

Latest Comments