Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Do smooth roads exist in the UK?

I had the pleasure of starting my road cycling experience when I moved to Switzerland to study for 2 years in 2016. The quality of the tarmac there is superb and I loved the excellent cycle ways to keep off the busier roads. It definitely was a honeymoon period.

In the UK, we're all endlessly hearing about the terrible state of the roads and the awful cycling infrastructure.

I hadn't really realised how bad the roads actually are until I was back in the UK armed with my road bike and trying them out for myself. Now with 3 years of British road cycling under my belt I've hardened up a bit but I still find the poor road surfaces really hit my motivation to get out and about sometimes. Pot holes fill every decent with paranoia and make group riding a chore.

Are there actually any smooth roads in the UK?

Or even good cycle lanes, that don't just last for 50m either side of a new housing development?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

23 comments

vthejk | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think the issue is the lack of consistency. Yes, to answer that (rhetorical?) question, smooth roads do of course exist in the UK, but it feels as if there is no certainty that they will continue, extend beyond a certain region, county or even city, or worse still, not turn into potholed madness around the next corner.

Where I live in Coventry this transition is palpable - many of the country roads outside the Coventry postcode region are superb and consistently smooth. However, enter within a certain radius of the city and they are scarred, pitted, potholed and often impossible to continue on smoothly. I say this of even the resurfaced roads - the resurfacing has often been done so poorly that there is a shallow bump ever fifty meters. Jarring and painful. They can (and must) do better.

PRSboy replied to vthejk | 2 years ago
0 likes

There is probably a lot of demand on Coventry council budgets from care etc, whereas the more rural surroundings may have a different local authority funding, with less demand for social services and hence more to spend on roads... there are some wealthy villages and towns locally.

PRSboy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Plenty of smooth, properly resurfaced and well-maintained roads where I cycle from time to time in West Wales.

The roads in South Oxfordshire/West Berkshire are comically bad, bordering on dangerous.

Organon | 2 years ago
2 likes

The finally relaid Barlow Moor Road, Manchester. Thanks Sir Chris Boardman.

Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
2 likes

I'm beginning to believe that UK utility companies are automatically notified of any smoothly-resurfaced roads so that they can immediately dig them up and fill them badly. I'd be interested to know what other countries allow this to happen the way we do... My favourite is when the council installs expensive granite surfaces in prominent town centre locations and the utilities just leave lumpy tarmac in its place.

The other annoying thing is that we often resurface roads here to a very rough standard. Again, I'm not sure why - is it just cheaper to leave the chippings only slightly submerged in tar? Do we use bigger chippings? Is it better for vehicle grip in the wet? Whatever the reason, it's horrible to ride skinny tyres on. I particularly remember the resurfaced A104 through Epping Forest a few years ago. Heading North, it's a false flat. I wasn't in good form that day anyway but after about three miles of unrelenting vibration, I was done in.

wycombewheeler replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

The other annoying thing is that we often resurface roads here to a very rough standard. Again, I'm not sure why - is it just cheaper to leave the chippings only slightly submerged in tar? Do we use bigger chippings? Is it better for vehicle grip in the wet? Whatever the reason,

It's cheap

And often they rely on vehicles to compress the chippings into the tar, leading to skid risk signs and roads which are almost no go to cyclists for several weeks.

vthejk replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

It's cheap

And often they rely on vehicles to compress the chippings into the tar, leading to skid risk signs and roads which are almost no go to cyclists for several weeks.

It's bizarre. Near where I live a near-1-mile stretch of road has been left entirely as gravel. Cars easily go above the advised 20mph maximum but leave me struggling in their dusty wake. I love gravel riding but doing it in traffic is absolutely no fun.

PRSboy replied to Dnnnnnn | 2 years ago
0 likes

Duncann wrote:

I'm beginning to believe that UK utility companies are automatically notified of any smoothly-resurfaced roads so that they can immediately dig them up and fill them badly. I'd be interested to know what other countries allow this to happen the way we do... My favourite is when the council installs expensive granite surfaces in prominent town centre locations and the utilities just leave lumpy tarmac in its place.

The other annoying thing is that we often resurface roads here to a very rough standard. Again, I'm not sure why - is it just cheaper to leave the chippings only slightly submerged in tar? Do we use bigger chippings? Is it better for vehicle grip in the wet? Whatever the reason, it's horrible to ride skinny tyres on. I particularly remember the resurfaced A104 through Epping Forest a few years ago. Heading North, it's a false flat. I wasn't in good form that day anyway but after about three miles of unrelenting vibration, I was done in.

You raise a good point- in my view, councils should keep records of utility contractor work, and they should be inspected to make sure they are good enough to start with, then obliged to make good at their expense any repairs which fail in future.

Same for road surfacing.  There is some particular lot who seem to have a stranglehold on resurfacing work in Oxfordshire, and I always groan when I see their trucks at work as I know it will be a dreadful job that will fall to bits within 12 months.

Zermattjohn | 2 years ago
1 like

Having lived in Switzerland too, I agree with you. However, there are good reasons why Swiss roads are (in general) very smooth. As you'll know, Swiss winters are a LOT more harsh than the UK's, so the surfaces are laid to cope with a range of temps from mid-summer 30+ to mid-winter below -20. This is paid for by the local Cantons, and as you'll remember tax rates are a lot higher as a consequence. 

In the UK, street maintenance (on local roads, at least, not the 'Strategic Road Network' (motorways and major A-roads)) is the responsibility of the council, who have to bid for a chunk of money from the pot - that pot is smaller because our tax rates are lower. I'd be delighted to have Swiss style smoothness, though I expect along with many others, I'd not be delighted to be paying 40%+ income tax and huge VAT. There's a good reason why everything in Switzerland costs more.

Getting back to your original question - yes, there are some beauty smooth roads around Sheffield/South Yorkshire, a result of resurfacing funded by the Tour de Yorkshire. Strines (or Mortimer Road if you're being picky) is Sa Calobra with rain  3

I also agree with the gravel bikes point. I know a lot of people who have them and rarely venture anywhere other than local B-roads..!

rhyolite90 replied to Zermattjohn | 2 years ago
0 likes

Zermattjohn wrote:

In the UK, street maintenance (on local roads, at least, not the 'Strategic Road Network' (motorways and major A-roads)) is the responsibility of the council, who have to bid for a chunk of money from the pot - that pot is smaller because our tax rates are lower. I'd be delighted to have Swiss style smoothness, though I expect along with many others, I'd not be delighted to be paying 40%+ income tax and huge VAT. There's a good reason why everything in Switzerland costs more.

I'd happily lose my tax free allowance to have swiss smoothness here

Bigpikle | 2 years ago
3 likes

We have one great stretch of lovely tarmac in a local village, complete with lots of traffic calming measures along the village main street.....turns out its where the head of highways for the local council lives. The rest of the region is like the surface of the moon if they ran thousands of HS2 construction HGVs across it every week.

0-0 | 2 years ago
3 likes

I think smooth roads with no pot holes only exist around Town Halls and Council Offices 😉

Shades | 2 years ago
1 like

One of the things I look forward to on the continent are smooth roads; even the vast majority of the poxy lanes in France are in A1 condition.  Long downhills are just sublime.  Makes such a difference to comfort, average speed and endurance.  I know France is a pretty 'state-heavy' country so perhaps they just have legions of workers resurfacing roads.  Kind of just accept it on British lanes but towns are also pretty horendous with all the roadworks and patching that has gone on.  I tend to avoid A roads but can appreciate that some people prefer them to bumpy lanes on the assumption that they're in better condition.  That said, during lockdown, I ventured onto some of my local A roads when they were quiet only to find that I was getting battered by the poor surface.  TBH a poor surface doesn't help cycle safety, or new cyclists confidence, if you're getting bashed about by the road surface amongst traffic (eg losing balance or a frame/wheel/tyre fail).

mike the bike | 2 years ago
3 likes

Yes they do, notably here on the Isle of Wight.  Seven years ago our County Council entered into a 25-year PFI contract for road maintenance and, some minor glitches aside, it has been a success.  Potholes are now extremely rare, I can't remember the last time I saw one, and visitors to the island, including cyclists and motor-cyclists, are consistently complimentary about the surfaces.

Critics of the scheme, usually politically motivated, will always find fault but it is true that not everything has gone to plan.  Some roads have needed fixing twice, the schedule seems to have slipped a little and most work appears to take place in summer when the roads are busiest.  But compromises have to be made and as far as I'm concerned the roads are way, way better than before.

It can be done.

Miller replied to mike the bike | 2 years ago
2 likes

I've been on holiday to the IoW and yes indeed the roads are in surprisingly good condition by British standards. I had wondered if that was down to a lack of frost in winter.

wycombewheeler replied to Miller | 2 years ago
1 like

Miller wrote:

I've been on holiday to the IoW and yes indeed the roads are in surprisingly good condition by British standards. I had wondered if that was down to a lack of frost in winter.

the roads are very good, but the gravel riding is amazing.

Miller replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'll need to investigate that.

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
10 likes

If you're ever in the area, Great Dun Fell in Cumbria is not only the highest paved road in Britain but also the best I've ever found; from just past Knock upwards the road is closed for all motor vehicles except those going to the summit radar station so it takes very little wear. Very tough climb, brilliant descent (watch out for crosswind gusts and kamikaze sheep) with the smooth tarmac, long sightlines and absence of cars meaning you can really let the wheels run in a way you just can't on most public roads. Pictured on our ascent in 2018, you can see just how good the surface is.

rhyolite90 replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Looks like a flank of Teide!

'Tis a bit far from me, but it's one for the bucket list!

Tom_77 | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you can find a cycling event at a motor racing circuit, that's probably your only chance to ride on smooth tarmac.

I've done the British Heart Foundation ride at Goodwood a few times, although it wasn't on this year or last year.

richliv replied to Tom_77 | 2 years ago
1 like

Castle Combe circuit near Chippenham has open evenings for cyclists every Tuesday in spring and summer. £5 a time for up to 3 hours, good value and great surface. Every kind of cyclist, from TT practice and road teams, to parents with little kids, tandems and recumbents. (It's wide)

dooderooni | 2 years ago
2 likes

Our roads are horrendous at times, mainly due to them being patched annually rather than properly resurfaced.
Not sure about other regions, but here in the north east one of the biggest dangers are the 1 or 2 rows of granite setts that exist at many junctions on residential streets. Small amounts of moisture on them are enough to take your front wheel from under you as you turn across them if you aren't careful. Over the years I've had several incidents of nearly high-siding on them as my tyre has slipped then gripped as it crossed the cobbles onto the tarmac of the sideroad.

Sriracha | 2 years ago
8 likes

"Pot holes fill every decent with paranoia..."
So true. One cultivates a dynamic map of each road's evolving pothole geography, like a squirrel keeping a life or death register of where the nuts are buried.

Latest Comments