Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

In fighting

Does anyone know how all the in fighting here on road.cc started? I go on all of the major cycling news websites (won't name names because there's no need to advertise them) and have great discussions in the comments sections there. But here everyone is always ready to argue, disagree, and make personal attacks on each other.

Why can't everyone take a step back, take a deep breath, and realise that we're all on the same side here. We're all cyclists, we're all vulnerable road users, and we all want to enjoy the news.

Some commenters seem a lot more aggressive and argumentative than others, and I suppose that is normal because that is how all people are, but if I disagreed so heavily with other people, I would just avoid reading the comments. What's the point in getting so sound upand angry?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

IanMSpencer | 11 months ago
5 likes

Happens on unmoderated forum. Forums I have run stamp on anti-social behaviour, and would rather stray into over-moderation than under moderation. As long as the core community sees fairness and consistency, not a problem, and actually generally once the tone is set, moderation with the aid of reporting tools is pretty low effort.

You do get the odd literally insane member of the public to deal with. My claim to fame on that score was being closely involved on a forum with a guy called Poetlister (as of Wikipedia fane) who managed to be about 10 people on the forum at once including being at least 3 of the moderators.

Rendel Harris | 11 months ago
14 likes

Quote:

But here everyone is always ready to argue, disagree, and make personal attacks on each other.

Such as joining in with other (now banned) trolls in a nice little bullygroup to perpetuate a tiresome fantasy that another poster with whom you don't agree doesn't own his own flat or computer, so that every time he makes a comment you come back saying, "Glad to see your wife has let you use the computer again" or "What a coincidence that this happened outside the flat your wife owns"? 

Such as perpetually insinuating that road.cc only gives good reviews to manufacturers who give them advertising?

Such as tiresomely insisting at all times that your bike is the fastest because it's got 23 mm tires and rim brakes, rudely voicing this opinion over and over again whenever anybody says anything that doesn't agree with your point of view?

I think you can spare us the holier-than-thou lectures.

Car Delenda Est | 11 months ago
12 likes

Well you see there are a few trolls that refuse to stay banned and keep coming back to wheel out (pardon the pun) their anti cycling mantras and sometimes horrific level of victim blaming. No idea why they keep coming here in particular.

Aside from that there's a constant debate about cycle helmets which a few people get emotional over and sometimes make personal attacks which is sad but understandable given its potential role in preventing serious injury or death and the way they are often brought up for victim blaming.

Personally, aside from the trolls, I see it as a mostly healthy debate that should also be had on other sites and in wider society.

ErnieC | 11 months ago
0 likes

I have alao noticed that and pollitics seems to be the cause quite often. 

w61 | 11 months ago
0 likes

w61 replied to w61 | 11 months ago
0 likes

--

chrisonabike replied to w61 | 11 months ago
11 likes

W?

brooksby replied to chrisonabike | 11 months ago
4 likes

Maybe they've been reading Flintshire Boy's posts, and decided that "Anything FB can do, I can do better..."

Rendel Harris replied to brooksby | 11 months ago
2 likes

brooksby wrote:

Maybe they've been reading Flintshire Boy's posts, and decided with total justification that "Anything FB can do, I can do better..."

FTFY

Latest Comments