Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Flared bars - comfort?

I'm going to build up a winter/gravel frame in the coming weeks and interested in hearing your experiences of flared bars. I get the increased control aspect but do they also make the drops more accessible? I usually ride on the hoods so I'm wondering the canted position of the hoods on this bar type is comfortable? Also very interested to hear if it helps with/makes worse hand numbness as I do get some numbness in thumb and index on long rides. Currently I rarely use the drops, it's all hoods and tops.

FWIW I also ride MTB flat bars which I find awful for hand numbness so I'm quite cautious about messing about with a standard road position which is mostly comfortable.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

One day I am going to take a hacksaw to the drops on my bikes, no use for me whatsoever!

ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

I have to rate my Jones H bars. So comfy. Flat bars of course.

They do need to be quite high to take some of the weight off them so you need a fair bit of steerer left, and the stack is not pretty aesthetically.

And a couple or three degrees off the 45 that they come back would be true perfection for me, but that is just a niggle. And a better selection of looong grips.

chrisonabike replied to ktache | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ooh - was pondering some different bars for my new transport hack and did wonder about those.  The multiple positions, from almost bolt upright to a tuck - appealing.  I'll probably go with something much cheaper of course!

Do you have the Jones to go with it though?  They look intriguing but waaay beyond my extra bike budget...

ktache replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
1 like

I wish.

Still haven't wrapped the loop yet, have the bar tape and I've watched videos and figured out the twist, but I would like to practice. Must see if the LBS is throwing some old stuff out.

kil0ran replied to ktache | 1 year ago
1 like

Tried Jones on my MTB and just couldn't get on with them, if anything made the numbness worse. I've now got SQLabs grips and Innerbarends which are the best of not actually perfect solution I've found so far.

jaymack | 1 year ago
2 likes

I've been using Ritchey's comp venturemax for a couple of years (they're relatively inexpensive at less then £50, don't be tempted to buy carbon!). It's basically like the randonner bars of old. I must confess that I'd not want any other bar on my bike. The drops are far more accesible. Your wrists are in a more natural position when using both the hoods and the drops. I've done long rides upto 200 km audax with no issues. Also 'cos the drops are more comfortable than with a less flared bar you use them more. For me at least it's been a win/win and I have no hesitation in recommending that you get some.

Latest Comments