Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Flat mount disc brakes on post mount frame

In case anyone else has this issue now or in future...

I recently bought a used Mason Definition frame from eBay. It was one of the original, post-mount frames, and I wanted to fit Campagnolo H11/Chorus. The calipers are flat-mount only.

I considered using one of Shimano's original post-mount road calipers (the frame actually came with one), but didn't want to mix Campag and Shimano bits.  I also looked into using a Magura or Hope caliper.  Then, I came across this website: https://www.assolutions.ca

They sell various adaptors to convert post-mount frames to flat mount.  I placed my order and, after two weeks, a nicely-machined part turned up in the post, complete with mounting bolts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

Has there been some comments deleted from here? I recall stating something similar to Dicklexic, but it's no longer here.

Welsh boy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Going off topic but how long will an unopened bottle of Shimano mineral oil last? I have a bottle which came with my mtb brakes about 12 years ago which has never been opened, will it still be ok to use in my new road brakes?

mdavidford replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
5 likes

You should drink within at most 2 months of opening.

Captain Badger replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
1 like

mdavidford wrote:

You should drink within at most 2 months of opening.

Ha! be lucky to make it last more than an evening.....

Dicklexic replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
1 like

I wouldn't say 'indefinitely' but it's certainly a very long time. Shimano use mineral oil which is not hygroscopic, unlike DOT brake fluid. In fact it is hydrophobic so consequently it does not absorb moisture. DOT fluid is hygroscopic so any contact with open air will lead to moisture being absorbed from the air, and thus cause the brake fluid can boil if it gets hot.

Kesa | 2 years ago
1 like

Cool!

I did a bike groupset upgrade a year ago and had the same problem. I ended up using Shimano m6100 mountain bike calipers.

I will keep an eye out for these  1

wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

mixing shimano and campagnolo would be bad as I understand they use different brake fluid.

Campag levers would be compatible with sram calipers I believe

my mistake, the calipers hope sell for use with shimano are the same as they would sell for campag. Thanks to others below for correcting this.

https://www.hopetech.com/products/brakes/road/rx4-caliper/

That being said both the fluid type and the volume transferred must be the same, so there should be no issues.

hawkinspeter replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

wycombewheeler wrote:

mixing shimano and campagnolo would be bad as I understand they use different brake fluid.

As long as the parts aren't used, would there be any difference in performance if you used different hydraulic fluid? (Not going to do it, but just curious on whether there's any practical reason that you couldn't run Campag on Shimano fluid and vice versa)

wycombewheeler replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
3 likes

hawkinspeter wrote:

wycombewheeler wrote:

As long as the parts aren't used, would there be any difference in performance if you used different hydraulic fluid? (Not going to do it, but just curious on whether there's any practical reason that you couldn't run Campag on Shimano fluid and vice versa)

I think the seal material is specific to the fluid used, calipers and levers intended to work with DOT (SRAM) are not compatible with mineral oil (shimano/campag) and vice versa

hawkinspeter replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks - that makes sense.

srchar replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
1 like

Not quite. Shimano & Campag both use mineral oil. SRAM uses DOT.

Wingguy replied to wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
1 like

wycombewheeler wrote:

No, that would be much worse than mixing Shimano and Campagnolo. Sram uses Dot fluid, the other two are both mineral oil.

srchar | 2 years ago
2 likes

Pic

amazon22 replied to srchar | 8 months ago
0 likes

I have the same v1 Definition and have been loking for something like this - which was the actual one you ordered? They have 140 > 160 and 160 > 160. I see Wolftooth now do one as well, but equally unclear ordering criteria.

Latest Comments