Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Foot hotspots

I'm trying to diagnose some hotspots I'm getting with my right foot on longer rides - 80+ miles- but not sure where to start. I ride SPD' style cleats so use MTB shoes for all my riding.   My pedals have a small body (Retro Onza HO's) but bigger than a shimano MTB spd. 
 The hot spot appears in a single place on the ball of my foot behind my second littlest toe.

I already have superfeet insoles for arch support  and my left hand cleat is shimmed with an angled wedge but my right isn't.   Both on recommendation from a bike fit. 

Any thoughts on where to start? Obviously 80 mile rides aren't easy to come by reliably and new shoes and pedal could get expensive. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Spangly Shiny | 2 years ago
3 likes

I was in a similar predicament with my Speedplay lollipop pedals. I tried the baseplate extenders to move the cleats as far back as they would go which helped for a while. However it was only when I got some new Bont shoes (using their sizing guide) that I realized that all my previous shoes had been too narrow. Now with the correct width shoes all my woes have gone and I even get to fit my cleats without the extenders, so no more toe overlap.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
0 likes

Apology first: this will contradict some of the other advice...

But I found wider and larger shoes (Lake) and arch support (Lintaman adjustable insoles) to be very helpful eventually. My problem began before covid and it was only recently that I realised the pain hadn't happened at all for a few months - healing was very gradual. So I'd suggest trying something, seeing if there's any improvement and if so give it a few weeks and see if progress is still happening.

I did try cleat position, metatarsal separators, regular insoles (Specialized), SPD pedals with a bigger contact area, Look pedals and stiffer shoes, but not a bike fit or a podiatrist.

The shoes were not expensive (eBay) and I've made a profit on reselling some of those that didn't quite work. Hope this helps and good luck.

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

You seem to have covered it all.

The only thing you might try is gait analysis and they may suggest a different insole as arch support is more for walking than cycling.

https://reflex18.co.uk/gait-analysis-and-custom-orthotics-in-colchester/

3D printed insole !

HoarseMann | 2 years ago
0 likes

Get that right foot shimmed! That's where I would start, as it seems to be working for the left.

Those Onza's are a bit unique in having elastomer springs. Maybe that elastomer has gotten a bit slack and is allowing the foot to have a slight outwards rotation, the shim might counteract that rotation.

Some MTB shoes have quite a lot of flex in the sole to allow for walking. You might be better off with road shoes that have a two bolt spd fixing for those longer rides.

Rich_cb | 2 years ago
0 likes

I used to get something similar but only on the turbo.

I found moving my cleats (also SPD) right back helped a lot.

I also found that tightening my shoes beyond what I would normally consider comfortable seemed to reduce the pain but not eliminate it.

Latest Comments