Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Frame import costs help

I'm looking at buying a frame that's in the EU (Netherlands). I can't find anywhere else as it's quite an old model and discontinued.

If the frame costs £1700, how much would I be looking at paying in import costs and VAT as a total?

This Brexit thing has really cocked things up!

Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

sparrowlegs | 3 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies. It might not be that bad then. I was expecting worse.

Just need it to clear through Parcel Farce. It's taken 8 hours to get from the Netherlands and I'll bet it's another week or more before I see it. 

TheFatAndTheFurious replied to sparrowlegs | 3 years ago
1 like

Please can you post what the final costs are? I'm wondering if any duty is actually due, irrespective of what simplyduty claims. 

Spangly Shiny replied to TheFatAndTheFurious | 3 years ago
1 like

A similar thiught crossed my mind. Surely the shipper should reduce the 'raw' cost of the item by deducting local VAT costs before shipping; leaving the UK buyer to fork out for import duty and UK VAT. Otherwise the buyer would be paying both EU VAT and UK VAT.

one_bad_mofo | 3 years ago
0 likes

There is no easy answer. When I used to import frames from North America I's start with the price of the frame then add the shipping cost. I would then apply 4.8% import duty and the new total (frame, shipping and import duty) would have VAT at 20% applied. 

Then to make life even better the courier company/postal service will hit you with a handling charge for clearing the parcel through customs. I'd expect that to be around an extra £10 these days. 

TheFatAndTheFurious | 3 years ago
5 likes

I found this site a few weeks ago: https://www.simplyduty.com/import-calculator/

Working on £1700 at €2000, that site reckons you'll be due a VAT bill of £340 or so.

You'll need to find the "HS Code" for your product, which is no trivial task. For anyone who thinks there's no red tape post-brexit, take a look at this UK Gov site which documents the duty codes for practically every single commodity traded.

For bike frames, I think the relevant page is here: https://www.trade-tariff.service.gov.uk/commodities/8714911033

Be sure to read all the footnotes, chapter notes, section notes and additional section notes to be sure that you are declaring the proper codes. 

F**k Brexit, you miserable wreckers.

Latest Comments