Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Freehub seizes when cassette tightened.

Hi

I've a horrible feeling I'm doing something stupid, but cant for the life of me work out what it is...

This week I've put my winter wheels back on whilst my others wait for a replacement freehub.

The winter ones are Prime Baroudeur Disc from Wiggle and are 10 or 11 speed, and I'm trying to fit an 11 speed shimano cassette.

The freehub spins freely, right up until I try and tighten the locking ring on the cassette, getting progressively tighter until the bike won't freewheel at all once the cassette is fitted properly.

I've tried a couple of cassettes, but it makes no difference. The wheel has had an 11 speed cassette fitted previously with no issues.

I've checked the freehub and can't see anything wrong with it, and no, there isn't an extra spacer before the cassette...

Thanks,

John

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a freehub on some American Classic hubs that needs a 0.7mm spacer behind it or it binds, but that said, no probs with my Prime wheelset in that regard.

Welsh boy | 2 years ago
1 like

I have a feeling that 10 and 11 speed lock rings are different lengths (at least a selection of mine are) so it might be worth checking that, if the lock ring is too long it might be touching something that it shouldn't be 

VeloUSA | 2 years ago
0 likes

An 11 speed Shimano freehub should measure 36.75mm deep. Did you also check for an extra spacer on the cassette?

Latest Comments