Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Garmin 810 accuracy

I've done a google search on this and didn't find anything relating to my problem.

My Garmin 810 head unit is approx 5 years old and in the past few weeks has been under reading the distance on maybe 1/3 of my rides.

When in Strava/ Garmin Connect and inspecting the route it's tracked me perfectly - there are no straight lines to indicate drop outs and when riding I haven't spotted any on-screen messages saying "searching for GPS" etc.

I always allow for it to connect to GPS prior to leaving and despite it being rainy/ cloudy this morning have also had problems in bright sunshine without a cloud in the sky.

I'm a daily commuter and route is just over 10 miles - I know it's trivial but at times it's measuring my route 1 mile less.

Just hoping my head unit isn't on it's way out.

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

steve_s1 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a Garmin 830 and notice after each ride is uploaded to Strava, if I get Strava to adjust the elevation it increases the initial value given by the Garmin, sometimes by quite a lot. It never adjusts the elevation down. 

There's more info about this here:

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001294564-Elevation-on-S...

0-0 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a similar issue with my 830 on all of my rides.
Some of it I believe is down to firmware updates over months/years. GPS accuracy etc.

Currently just using GPS, Garmin is about 0.3 mile under compared to Strava (if Strava is even correct).
If I use a 3rd party speed sensor, Garmin gives an "over" reading, compares to Strava.

I think the best way to get Garmin and Strava to try and match, would be to use a speed sensor and manually adjust the wheel circumference setting within your 810.
You'd have to look at some wheel circumference charts, to get a starting figure i.e. 700c 28mm = 2130 or 2136 if you believe Garmin.
Or try a tape measure 😁

Dinyull | 2 years ago
0 likes

On ride home last week, with speed indicator on I noticed a lot of slower speeds than expected -  would be reading at 24mph one minute and then 13mph the next.

Have never used a speed sensor with the 810, and didn't think I was....

But over lockdown I was turbo training and the trainer came with a combined speed/ cadence sensor which I installed on the bike. Last week in particular the cadence was very intermittent (I'm assuming speed too as they run from same battery). So embarrasingly I think the whole issue is because of the battery life on that, and GPS has still been tracking ride hence prefect trace on garmin/ strava. D'oh!

Replaced battery in speed/ cadence, have hard reset the Garmin and installed latest firmware. If you hear nothing again assume it was the battery haha!!!

Thanks for the suggestions

Dinyull | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the replies.

This morning was 2 miles out, and still when you delve into the route on strava/ garmin there are no obvious straight lines/ dropouts.

I've tried exporting the strava activity as a course and got the same mileage shown as recorded. Although not being a full paid up member of strava it had very reduced features.

Probably doesn't help that I only display cadance, heart rate and time on my screen - will add speed tonight to see if any obvious drop outs.

Will go with a hard reset this weekend, and see how I get on next week before I get in touch with garmin.

Awavey | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got an 810 and not noticed any more than a tenth or two variation on Strava mileage I do notice it drops GPS signal more frequently than it did,currently on GPS + Galileo. I did get lost in settings one time when I couldn't get it to connect to anything,but it mostly seems ok.

Have you tried exporting the Strava activity as gpx and loading as a course in Garmin to see if it shows any difference?

PRSboy | 2 years ago
0 likes

How peculiar... I have an 810 and there are occasionally variances but nothing like that.  You can correct the mileage/elevation in Strava so you will book the miles you've done, but clearly it won't be correct on the Edge.

I would imagine that if it can't see the satellites properly it would flag a GPS signal lost error.  Perhaps try a hard reset of the unit (though you will lose any data/settings) or email Garmin help who are normally pretty good at suggestions.

Latest Comments