Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Giant Defy Advanced & mudguards

I'm looking for experience of fitting mudguards to various versions of the Defy Advanced/Defy Advanced Pro.

I know the more recent ones have eyelets, and Giant sell some custom guards for it (RGX) but what I can't seem to find is max clearance under guards for each model year.

I know that the QR versions (which ended with the 2016 model year) don't have eyelets, and can also take around a 30mm width tyre (actual width, not marked width) but what about each model year of the thru-axle versions?

For example, the 2017 & 2018MY bikes (fitted with TAs) came with eyelets but also came with 25mm tyres stock. No mention in Giant's literature about clearance for guards.

2019MY onwards come with 28mm tyres as standard, and claim clearance for 32mm.

Current model comes with 32mm standard and claim clearance for 35mm

Ideally I'd like to be able to run 28mm tyres (marked, not actual width) year round. Preferred option is either GP4000s or 4Seasons, with maybe Gravelking SKs on a wheelset for chalky offroad action.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

13 comments

kil0ran | 1 year ago
0 likes

Continuing to dig into this, it looks like the early thru axle frames (16/17/18 MY) do have a fork crown mount but don't have the holes for an add on seatstay bridge. Giant used to sell custom guards for this era of bikes but they were withdrawn from sale due to frame damage - the mounting system abraded the carbon in the seatstay and in some cases caused it to fail. Now trying to track down which model year introduced the rear bridge mounts - definitely there on 2019 models and newer.

IanMSpencer replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

FWIW, I originally put a CrudRacer MkIII on the front and an SKS Raceblade long on the rear. I did have a full mudguard on the rear with a cycle light clamp to a seat stay, but it flexed too much and cracked (a common SKS problem for me). When the Defy needed a complete refit due to winter damage, I decided 1 bike all year was too optimistic. I'm glad I got the Revolt because it got me offroading.

kil0ran replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

Still can't decide whether I should go Defy or Revolt! Sensible head says Revolt based on where I live but I really loved my Defy and regret selling it now.

1 like

Got back on my Defy after a winter of heavy boots, and though I think it was my immensely heavy winter boots that were the main drag, my Defy flew away with me when I rode it.

I really ought to swap rotor's and do a proper A/B test to see where the raciness really is, frame, tyres, wheels?

0 likes

Leaning towards Revolt currently, unless a good used Defy comes up. Giant are selling off 2021 models (which have basically identical riding geo to a Defy, just a longer wheelbase) so they're quite good value. The newer models have a different geo which is oriented to more aggressive riding with the flip chip in the short position. Hopefully be able to get to ride one in the next couple of days to make a decision

0 likes

I've decided and bought a '21 Revolt which is nigh on identical in stack and reach to the Defy, only differences being a slacker front end and ~30mm longer chainstays. Should arrive Tuesday. Giant offer a pretty much no quibble returns policy within 30 days so I'll take advantage of that to test ride it. None of my local dealers still have '21 models in stock so I couldn't ride them and I wasn't interested in the '22 model because the geo has changed plus there are reports of cracking seat tubes. As far as any bike is a bargain these days it was a bargain - £1900 for a mix of GRX800 & 600 plus GRX400 hydro calipers.

If it proves comfy I'll get spare wheelset and have one set up for gravel/winter (38mm tyres) and the other for pure road, probably aero carbon and running 32s.

kil0ran replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Well, the Revolt Advanced gets pretty close to being an N=1 bike. 

Swapped it over from the stock Giant wheels and Crosscut knobblies to something lighter and GP4000s and its plenty agile enough for my needs. Back to back test on same route and it was 1.4 mph faster.

I was a bit concerned by the bar (particularly the width) but the backsweep helps there and it doesn't feel wide. I usually ride 42cm bars but Giant put 44cm on the M/L Revolt. Drops very accessible and noticeably compliant - I ride a lot of cattle grids on my usual circuits so I'm probably better placed than most to notice it. I loved the D-Fuse stuff on my old Defy and it's better on the Revolt, probably because the shorter seat tube means I'm running with more post exposed.

One thing I'm not a big fan of is the GRX rear mech, it was much more fiddly getting wheels in and out compared to Ultegra 6800 on my old bike. Even with clutch switched off it was hard to get everything lined up. Perhaps Froome has a point! It might must be that I need to learn a new technique, I'm used to working with thru-axles so its not that.

Got some minor position tweaks to make and when funds allow I might swap to my preferred 165mm cranks, but that will mean a whole new BB and chainset. Unfortunately the Praxis cranks are OEM only and spares aren't available. 

As to the point of this thread, the mudguards are on order, hopefully easy to fit.

0 likes

Have to agree on the rear wheel change, it wants to go left on insertion so it is far to easy to wedge the disc.

I hadn't noticed the bar width but they are very splayed so it may be that the hoods are canted in to a similar point - I never notice when switching bikes.

I found the cheap and cheerful saddle really comfortable - in fact I got hold of one for my Defy after my Selle Italia gave up the ghost. They do like to creak though.

Glad it's worked out for you.

0 likes

With the saddle I noticed two things - one it really does need the full 11-12Nm of torque applied otherwise it will creak, and two the front adjuster has already rubbed against the inner edge of the cutout. A bit surprised by that, whilst I run my saddle 0.5 degrees nose down I wouldn't expect it to come into contact with the knurled adjuster.

As to the bar I can't tell the difference either and I'm usually pretty sensitive to minor cockpit changes. I'm finding it really comfortable, particularly the skinny tops. Noticeably less hand numbness. It hasn't solved it but it's better.

Mudguards going on tomorrow.

Secret_squirrel replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

kil0ran wrote:

One thing I'm not a big fan of is the GRX rear mech, it was much more fiddly getting wheels in and out compared to Ultegra 6800 on my old bike. Even with clutch switched off it was hard to get everything lined up. Perhaps Froome has a point! It might must be that I need to learn a new technique, I'm used to working with thru-axles so its not that.

Shouldnt be that tricky but does take a bit of practise and position on rear cog makes a big difference. 

Clutch off and chain on middl(ish) of cassette, after TA is out then stretch mech cage with left hand and with right hand lift and twist rear wheel slightly clockwise as it comes free to clear the chain.

PS. Assumes bike is upside down.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

2017 does not have an eyelet at the top of the fork so not possible to fix a front guard.

My Revolt has a bolt hole underneath the fork. This is fine for a gravel bike, but it does mean that the tyre needs clearance for the bolt as well as the guard and most guards are designed to fit using an angle bracket - I removed and drilled a hole. My Flinger guards have survived nearly 2 winters and have been removed several times.

Anyway, check where the bolt hole is on the fork, because if they've been silly and put it underneath, it will be a limitation.

0 likes

Ah, thanks, good to know about the fork. I'd like to think its in the proper place as the RGX guards have an angle bracket for the front mudguard - and they're not shown as being compatible with the Revolt. 

I get that there's mahoosive clearance anyway on the Revolt but that seems to be a bonkers solution. It's a complete pain when setting up 'guards - my old Merida CX used the same system. Also sucks for fitting dyno lights.

kil0ran replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Had a look around and so far confirmed that 2020 Defys and newer have the hole on the back of the fork, so that should help with clearance

Latest Comments