Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Holiday recommendation, with a non-cyclist

Hi

I'm looking to book a week (give or take a day) holiday in Europe in early October. Ideally I would like

-Some kind of resort/spa hotel that caters for non-cyclists too
-Cycling on the doorstep, to do maybe 4 days of riding, guided rides even better!
-Bike hire
-Good weather
-Although the idea is for a relaxing break when not cycling, if it wasn’t too remote from civilization that would be nice

Appreciate that’s a list of demands, but thought I’d ask if has been on a break that seems to fit the bill?

Cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
2 likes

Always makes me laugh how lycra obsessed cyclists expect their OH to indulge their fantasies.
Here's a left field alternative. Why not go on holiday where cycling in general is the norm, rather than only for lycra lovers. Both Copenhagen and Amsterdam will give both of you the opportunity to cycle all over the place, every day together. That's how you actually get your OH to eventually share your obsession. Not the best weather in October, therefore I recommend Seville in Spain, fantastic city for mooching around on a bike, but still with some fantastic roads on the doorstep if you must do your lycra thing.

chrisonabike replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
0 likes

Good suggestion.  It could work.  It could also be agreeing to climb a mountain on holiday where one person expects this will involve ropes and a gear rack, the other hopes there will be a cafe at the top or before and maybe a train back down.

It's not clear from the OP.  This might be "I must have some hardcore cycling but I want the other party to be able to access non-cycling activities while I'm at that".  Alternatively if the OP means "not regular cyclist" your suggestion could work.  I'd definitely suggest some "checking confidence / enjoyment" short trips first.  Ideally away from traffic.  Even if they're keen and "it's as just like riding a bike" they might discover that they don't want to do more than 40 minutes at a go - or even in a day!

Don't know Seville or Copenhagen but Amsterdam is very accessible to visitors speaking English.  However I'd be cautious about suggesting jumping (back?) into cycling there: many parts are busy places.  Lots of pedestrians, cyclists, mopeds, trams and even cars!  While pleasant, safe, logical and fairly self-explanatory you still need to get the hang of using the Dutch system.

zedthegreat replied to Owd Big 'Ead | 1 year ago
2 likes

Because my wife doesn't want a cycling holiday. It's a relaxing holiday where I happen to be able to dissapear for a day or two out of that time.

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

Menton is lovely, great villas dotted around the surrounding hills, wonderful climbs including the legendary Madone and the Col de Braus. Weather is perfect for cycling in October. If you want to go a bit more cosmopolitan, Nice is just up the coast (so is Monaco but unless you like vulgarity and the Russian mafia, best avoided). Bike hire available in Nice and Menton, nine to eleven hours by train from London (change at Paris).

BadgerBeaver | 1 year ago
0 likes

Elounda, Crete, or indeed any spa hotel on Crete north and east coast. Go on the shoulder seasons or ride in the morning before it gets too hot, rest of the day with your travel companion. Lots of beautiful rides in the mountains featured in various magazines, see also Komoot and Ridewithgps for routes.

zedthegreat replied to BadgerBeaver | 1 year ago
1 like

Cheers - I went for the common answer of Mallorca, but Crete is on the long list for the next foreign holiday in a few years time.

zeeridesbikes | 1 year ago
3 likes

Mallorca. I went with my wife who doesn't cycle, plenty of beaches, spas great food etc. We hired bikes, loads of options and for me easier than taking my own (€90 for carbon willier with ultegra). Last but not least the cycling is incredible. Flats, incredible climbs and everything in between. 

we went last week of April and  flights were still really cheap. Sea and pool were cold but the weather was low to mid 20's so perfect for riding. 

we stayed in alcudia which is close to the mountains on the east coast. 

Hope that helps. 

Jimmy Ray Will replied to zeeridesbikes | 1 year ago
2 likes

Second that, and I'll be more precise... Port de Pollenca on the east coast.  You've Formentor on your doorstep for a short but epic ride; you're on the doorstep of the main mountain range if you want something longer, whilst still perfectly placed for flatter rides. There are anglo speaking bike shops leading rides most days too. Awesome cycling base.

And then... the Port is lovely, lovely beaches (great for sand castles), lovely restaurants, walks etc. Get in the car and there are lots of things to do on the east coast, however the capital is only an hour away if the family fancied a city experience. 

Case closed, get it booked!

zedthegreat replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
2 likes

That's a compelling case! I'm on it. Cheers!

Dnnnnnn replied to zedthegreat | 1 year ago
1 like

Mallorca really is a good package.

kil0ran replied to Jimmy Ray Will | 1 year ago
0 likes

Completely agree with Pollenca. The old town just inland has a great market, is very picturesque, and has excellent restaurants. Boat trips from the harbour are memorable, I'm not sure if the square rigger is still running (daily cruises). And weather is still good in October, and sea still warm. There are some high end hotels around there because it's a bit of a rich Spanish playground (not quite Monaco but it has that feel).

zedthegreat replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks all - we did book Mallorca in the end and are looking forward to it. Seems to fit the bill perfectly. 

Latest Comments