Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Horse poo - annoying and/or dangerous?

Havent posted in a while and wondered what everyone thought on this. but I was riding up some country lanes recently and nearly came off due to having to dodge a huge amount of horse manure on the road! Now I know it doesn't cause any ill envirnomental effects like dog mess, but isn't there a case for horse riders clearing at least some of it off the road because of the potential dangers to cyclists? And to be honest when walking on towpaths too it's not ideal having to dodge it, just find it a bit antisocial. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

51 comments

David9694 | 2 years ago
1 like

perplexed that Road.cc have chosen this thread to feature on Twitter.

Can't find the quoted passage anywhere either; it bears no resemblance to the consensus  "no" to the question the OP started with. 

https://twitter.com/roadcc/status/1393612250506792962?s=21

Sriracha replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
2 likes

The twitter consensus is likewise a resounding "no, get over yourself." Hopefully we can put this shit to bed now.

Chris | 2 years ago
2 likes

Could be worse. Apparently a blue whale stool can weight up to 4 tonnes.

Sriracha replied to Chris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Would be unusual to find it on the road.

Keesvant | 2 years ago
0 likes

It is a bit anti-social to leave poo behind..
A dog owner is obligated to clean up, why not a horse rider ?
As mentioned there are poo bags to hang behind the horses ass, the rider does not even have to dismount.
I hate the flies and the way it sticks to my bike.
Horses are dangerous on the road and cannot be trusted.
I have had a few near misses !

Captain Badger replied to Keesvant | 2 years ago
5 likes
Keesvant wrote:

It is a bit anti-social to leave poo behind..
A dog owner is obligated to clean up, why not a horse rider ?
As mentioned there are poo bags to hang behind the horses ass, the rider does not even have to dismount.
I hate the flies and the way it sticks to my bike.
Horses are dangerous on the road and cannot be trusted.
I have had a few near misses !

I've heard people say the same about cyclists....

Welsh boy replied to Keesvant | 2 years ago
1 like

There is no known health risk to humans from horse poo (unlike dog poo and worse still cat poo) but every time I swallow a fly when I am out I cant help but think about the last thing it sat on before it landed in my mouth.  As a long time vegetarian the odd fly here and there is the only meat I consume so for 2 reasons I don't like swallowing flies.

hawkinspeter replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Welsh boy wrote:

There is no known health risk to humans from horse poo (unlike dog poo and worse still cat poo) but every time I swallow a fly when I am out I cant help but think about the last thing it sat on before it landed in my mouth.  As a long time vegetarian the odd fly here and there is the only meat I consume so for 2 reasons I don't like swallowing flies.

You should get in the habit of putting the tip of your tongue against the roof of your mouth whilst mouth-breathing, so any flies are less likely to be swallowed and you can spit them out.

Captain Badger replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
3 likes
Welsh boy wrote:

I don't know why,
Perhaps you'll die..

Welsh boy replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
0 likes

Very good 😀

Captain Badger wrote:
Welsh boy wrote:

I don't know why, Perhaps you'll die..

Awavey replied to Keesvant | 2 years ago
1 like

so dont ride over it,maybe horses in East Anglia are better behaved, or Im just used to the country way of life, but horse poo has never once caused me a problem on a bike

dodgy replied to Keesvant | 2 years ago
3 likes

I live in a part of the country (Wirral), that reputedly, has the highest ratio of horses to humans in the UK. I ride around 10,000 miles per year and have had exactly zero issues with horses in the 20 years I have lived here.

HTH

Cycloid | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've never had a problem with horse sh*t, but I have had a few problems with the animals that produce it

Cycloid | 2 years ago
2 likes

This was a serious topic of conversation amongst cyclists in the early years of the last century, a bit like potholes are today.

Nice Pic of Edward Elgar dodging the steaming mounds

Sriracha replied to Cycloid | 2 years ago
4 likes

Must have been the inspiration behind his own variations on a movement.

geomannie 531 | 2 years ago
1 like

I have had the very interesting experience of horse poo on a very cold & frosty morning. Hitting frozen sh1t is like hitting a pile of cobbles. Take care.

Captain Badger replied to geomannie 531 | 2 years ago
1 like

geomannie 531 wrote:

I have had the very interesting experience of horse poo on a very cold & frosty morning. Hitting frozen sh1t is like hitting a pile of cobbles. Take care.

Cool, just like Paris–Roubaix!

Cycloid replied to geomannie 531 | 2 years ago
1 like

No normal person has had a very interesting experience with horse poo

Sorry Mate I could not resist that

Sriracha | 2 years ago
3 likes

A horse once told me it was his last straw.

Captain Badger replied to Sriracha | 2 years ago
2 likes

Sriracha wrote:

A horse once told me it was his last straw.

I'll bet he was bridling. Did he seem of stable character?

brooksby replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
1 like

nonono

Captain Badger replied to brooksby | 2 years ago
0 likes

brooksby wrote:

nonono

Sriracha replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
1 like

It was said ingest.

Steve K | 2 years ago
6 likes

If you're worried about horse poo, stick to the mane roads.

Captain Badger replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
1 like

Steve K wrote:

If you're worried about horse poo, stick to the mane roads.

Oh very good sir! Chapeau. laugh

Steve K replied to Captain Badger | 2 years ago
0 likes

I confess it was one I'd prepared earlier.  I used it earlier in the week on a local facebook group post where someone had spotted a stray horse wondering the streets.

Captain Badger replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
1 like

Steve K wrote:

I confess it was one I'd prepared earlier.  I used it earlier in the week on a local facebook group post where someone had spotted a stray horse wondering the streets.

No problem, if it's okay with you I entend to use that one myself in future - I'm a keen recycler! Of course, I can't promise I'll credit......

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
10 likes

I’ve lost a small fortune on my last 3 horse racing bets.

Firstly, ‘Sunshine’ threw the jockey,
Then, ‘moonlight’ fell at the first hurdle,
And finally, ‘good times’ finished last.

I blame it on the bookie.

David9694 replied to hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
3 likes

You should try looking at it another way. 

Sriracha | 2 years ago
0 likes

False dichotomy. Or is that a trichotomy? I'll wait for some wag to say neither.

Pages

Latest Comments