Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Interesting book

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

ChadCapote | 1 year ago
0 likes

Read the premise and went through the index page - sounds super interesting. I've been recently reading a lot on this ecological concept - Climax Community - an ecological term used to denote an ecosystem or community of plants, animals and other living organisms that has achieved equilibrium, or become stable. It would be wonderful to see any research angle on whether cycling and reduction of fuel vehicles can actually encourage and facilitate the ecosystem to self heal and attain equilibrium.

John Stevenson | 1 year ago
3 likes
chrisonabike | 1 year ago
1 like

Never judge a book by its cover when you can just read things people wrote on the internet instead.  Spoiler alert - the reason lots of people don't ride bicycles is down to language apparently.  I think there's some truth buried in this but whether you agree or not it's simple to test.  Just stick a label marked "Tesla" on your current / next bike and use that to refer to it in conversation.  Then see if people like you more / that gets you subsidies and law changes in your favour from the government.

Kasablanca replied to chrisonabike | 1 year ago
0 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

Never judge a book by its cover when you can just read things people wrote on the internet instead.  Spoiler alert - the reason lots of people don't ride bicycles is down to language apparently.  I think there's some truth buried in this but whether you agree or not it's simple to test.  Just stick a label marked "Tesla" on your current / next bike and use that to refer to it in conversation.  Then see if people like you more / that gets you subsidies and law changes in your favour from the government.

That's true, I agree

mark1a | 1 year ago
0 likes

Hirsute | 1 year ago
1 like

At £40 I hope you are going to tell us why it is interesting.

brooksby replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
2 likes

Welovehills = M. Cristina Caimotto??  

WeLoveHills replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Well, I was kind of assuming anyone can decide for themselves how/if a book is interesting. There's a general description plus every chapter has an abstract.

£40. A lot for a book? Quite reasonable for a pair of tyres? Again, you decide.

mdavidford replied to WeLoveHills | 1 year ago
6 likes

WeLoveHills wrote:

£40. A lot for a book? Quite reasonable for a pair of tyres?

Depends - how gripping is it?

chrisonabike replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
4 likes

Sounds a bit inflated.

WeLoveHills replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
2 likes

Brilliant!! 👏👏

brooksby replied to WeLoveHills | 1 year ago
1 like

WeLoveHills wrote:

£40. A lot for a book?

Yes.

Hirsute replied to WeLoveHills | 1 year ago
1 like

Well, you said it was interesting and started a thread, so the least you can do is say why you think it is interesting.

WeLoveHills replied to Hirsute | 1 year ago
0 likes

Ok, I think it's interesting because it's about cycling and the discoursal representation of cycling in our society. It's based on research and not on bollocks. It's written by a researcher who is also a cycling activist. This, my friend, is the reason why I think this book may be interesting.

Rendel Harris replied to WeLoveHills | 1 year ago
1 like

WeLoveHills wrote:

£40. A lot for a book?

For a 146 page ebook (you have to pay £49.99 for the physical artefact) one has to say it is a bit ambitiously priced, to say the least.

WeLoveHills replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

one has to say it is a bit ambitiously priced, to say the least.

I agree. It's the problem with academic books and explains why nobody reads them except those who have access to university libraries.

Latest Comments