Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Jezza - the record shows, I took the blows and did it my waaaay

This is from last week's Sunday Times, it's available to read in full, Clarkson at 62 - my title: "a life spent often on the wrong side of the argument", as revealed by the grandchildren here:

"They don’t want to spend any time with you because you are an alien. A monster. You lived in a world full of racism and diesel and meat and you did nothing about it. And then they’ll bring up Greta Thunberg and you’ll roll your eyes and there’ll be a row and it’ll be six months of sadness and regret before you see them again."

It's a bit more than just living in a world of racism and diesel, though isn't it Jeremy, it's "Enee meeeny Miney mo..." it's "that bridge has got a slope on it" and blowing your TV career by hitting someone about a sandwich.  Please spare us the victim stuff. 

It's a long read, relived by extracts from the family photo album. There are some surprisingly thoughtful passages, actually, as he contemplates his own mortality - yet somehow flying the F15 jet and all the other highlights he shares not sounding like he's lived his best life. 

https://apple.news/Ag6KOvA6yTRO85QAfcZapQw

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

3 comments

AlsoSomniloquism | 2 years ago
0 likes

I doubt it is blowing a TV career, just being able to "break" from any contract with the Beeb to pick up loads more money from Amazon. Agree with the rest of your comments though.

TheBillder | 2 years ago
5 likes

Clarkson has a major opportunity - if he thinks his grandchildren might be right, he could use his profile and undoubted media skills (see his TV film about Brunel) to change a lot of minds. But he needs to do it before his influence on the drivist lot wanes.

I can't easily read the article due to the usual paywall, so perhaps he has begun the process. I choose the media payments I make carefully, which precludes Mr Murdoch's outlets.

David9694 replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

So, from a beacon for two generations of petrol-heads and three decades promoting a throwaway attitude to the world's resources to a new ministry - I like your thinking, particularly this Easter as Christian thoughts turn to rebirth and redemption.

Latest Comments