Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

light wheels (<1500g), <1100£

Hi,
I'm looking for an upgrade for my Tarmac SL4, currently running narrow Vision T30 13mm inner width! (weight is good, <1600g) wheelset.
I can't fit bigger tires than 25mm (chainstays are about 33-34mm wide, so 25mm with wider rim should still fit, but no space for bigger radius)
What's your tought on few available carbon clinchers in 900-1200GBP/Eur range ?

-Cero RC35 or RC50, super light, 1293-1399g, 930-940eur https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/wheels/?bike_material=156&cat=492
-Hunt carbon 36 aero wide, 1417g, 1039e https://eu.huntbikewheels.com/collections/road-cx-rim-brake-wheels/produ...
-Speedsix quatro, 1430g, 935e https://speedsixwheels.com/ruedas-carbono-carretera/quatro/quatro-cubierta/

there are few others: DR Wheels 33, Speedsix evo 35 / 45.
or maybe I'll find some 1-2y old model in good shape.

Is 'aero effect' (40-50mm deep rim) worth extra 100g ? I try not to ride on flat  [:)]  (I try to have at least 1000m elevation for every 50km ridden) and I live in dry area

any thoughts? advices ? cheers !

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

19 comments

kaza456 | 2 years ago
0 likes

i have those bikes too. what i dont like is the issues to find parts if somthing is not working. gladly i found that company https://www.autoprolocksmith.co.uk/bicycle-lockout/ since they have all the parts for that model. do if you have anything just give a call. 

shutuplegz | 2 years ago
0 likes

I can highly recommend Spokesman wheels (ebay or website) for a really nice set of handbuilt wheels where you can tune the spec to suit your budget. For this price range you'd get much better value for money than 'off the shelf' brands.

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Go handbuilt. You'll get a better, stiffer lighter wheelset and have someone nearby to repair or rebuild them in the case of damage or wear. Much better for the planet and better for your pocket! DCR built me some great wheels, there are many others too. I just wish I'd listened earlier to the people who'd told me to go handbuilt.

check12 | 2 years ago
1 like
Daniel Norton replied to check12 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm just building a bike with a second hand set of these.

Richbeck | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hand-built- speak to David at DCR Wheels.

Jaap | 2 years ago
0 likes
Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

Or you could get some Fulcrum Quattro Carbon Race.....bomb proof and made by Campagnolo....

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fulcrum-Racing-Quattro-40mm-Carbon-Disc-Wheelse...

Secret_squirrel replied to Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

Chris Hayes wrote:

Or you could get some Fulcrum Quattro Carbon Race.....bomb proof and made by Campagnolo....

https://www.tredz.co.uk/.Fulcrum-Racing-Quattro-40mm-Carbon-Disc-Wheelse...

These are disc and the OP is after rim brake (I think).  I also think these are the Wind 400 DB under an old or non-OEM model name?

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

At your price range you can drop weight from the current wheels AND go aero. So win/win. The Hunt 52's and 50's are also in your price range, and the weight difference is about 1/5 of a full water bottle. (or a pre-ride poo).

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you're doing 1,000m elevation gain for every 50km, I imagine you're one of the people who would benefit from prioritizing weight over aero (although I haven't put any numbers on that!).

I think there are a good handful of other companies that offer relatively cheap and light wheels - Scribe, Parcours and Pacenti all spring to mind. Or cut out the middleman and order straight from lightbicycle or similar.

I would say that with any rim brake wheels, I think there is an argument for getting off-the-shelf components and investing in a good hub. Then when the rim is worn through, you can get any decent wheel builder to replace the rim, for far less than the cost of a whole new wheelset.

iandusud | 2 years ago
0 likes

The aero benefits of deep rims will depend on how fast you ride. As you include plenty of climbing in your rides the likely benefits would be on the descents, but if you're going as fast as you want to already on the descents the only real difference will be that you'll wear out your brakes faster. I think the real benefit of deep rims is to be found by fast riders on the flat. 

bobbinogs | 2 years ago
0 likes

There are quite a few options around and you may struggle to find anyone who has done an exhaustive/objective test against them all.  However, my view is that anything decent and around 1500g for the set will feel light for hills (I do quite a few of varying character) and something around 40mm rim should help balance out speed/climbing and side winds.  I have a slightly earlier version of the Fulcrum Quattro carbons, which are 17mm internal and seem to work really well (decent braking too, which is always a bonus!!).  Now these are called the "Wind 40C", and can be had for about £900.  The specs will say "28mm tyre" as they are optimised for that but they do work very well with 25s too (I have run both but prefer 28s now).

Pilot Pete | 2 years ago
2 likes

Why not speak to a good wheelbuilder and get something exactly suited to your needs for that money?

Chris Hayes replied to Pilot Pete | 2 years ago
1 like

All of the above just assemble wheels from Chinese-manufactured components, pop their own made-up brand on it, and sell it at a premium.  Okay, you can argue that all brands are made up, but many actually started off doing their own R&D, product development, and manufacturing - and then moved to Taiwan or China to reduce costs. 

If you want to go down this route, use a proper wheelbuilder. I use Harry Rowlands who has built me some cracking wheels over the years - like the sub £400, sub 1500g asymmetric Kinlins he built for me that Hunt are selling for twice the price..... 

1 like

Not entirely correct.  Hunt may have started that way but they are doing their own R&D and specifying their own designs for the contract manufacturers these days.  Giant factories make some of their wheels these days for example.

Chris Hayes replied to Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'm sure that you are right and that they have evolved as a company, and it's a perfectly good argument that they 'add value' by providing an intermediary service between otherwise unaccountable Chinese factories and UK consumers - and even chipping in a warranty here and there.  

Call me old fashioned, but if Giant is making their wheels, I'd just buy them from Giant....I think I'm just getting old! 

1 like

Chris Hayes wrote:

Call me old fashioned, but if Giant is making their wheels, I'd just buy them from Giant....I think I'm just getting old! 

Giant are supplying the carbon spoke tech.  The rims & hubs are Hunts I believe.  So same spokes but different wheelsets.

Daniel Norton replied to Pilot Pete | 2 years ago
2 likes

If you have up to a grand, then you could get a fantastic set hand built. It is not just the components you are paying for. A lot of wheel builders offer free maintenance post-build and the quality of workmanship is likely to be first class.

Latest Comments