Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Madspeed Wheels

Has anyone bought wheels from this company? I bought a relatively cheap set of light weight alloy rim brake wheels which cost just £200 I bought them for the winter, I tried them and was totally shocked how bad they are. The back wheel run out of true after a month, spokes became lose and after tightening them one ride and became lose again. They were very buzzy when initially ridden on. Just wondered if anyone else has had any experience regarding this company. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

14 comments

Simon_MacMichael | 1 year ago
1 like

Hi Jimmm

Brand is a new one on us.

Obviously Chris has given you some decent-sounding advice here, but just so you know you can find all our Buyers Guides and reviews of wheels at the link below and can use the slider so it only shows results within your budget.

https://road.cc/category/review-section/components/wheels

kil0ran replied to Simon_MacMichael | 1 year ago
2 likes

They've been selling on eBay for at least three years. They'll be machine-built from cheap components. That's not to say they'll be a bad wheel but as you've found out they may need fettling. That's not a problem if you've got the skills/gear/time, but if you've got the skills/gear/time then you're better off just building your own.

For what it's worth I once had a brand new Raleigh Trubuild wheel (not cheap at £100 about 7 years ago) go out of true to the point it lost all tension within 2 miles on the first ride. Fortunately it was a rear wheel

TheBillder replied to kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like
kil0ran wrote:

For what it's worth I once had a brand new Raleigh Trubuild wheel (not cheap at £100 about 7 years ago) go out of true to the point it lost all tension within 2 miles on the first ride. Fortunately it was a rear wheel

Quality control costs money, so at that price point you are not getting much attention once the wheel is built. On the flip side, I bought (as a distress purchase) a Trubuild rear wheel recently for £60 and did 50 miles on it the next day. Still seems ok, but at 1250g for the rear alone, it didn't stay on the bike long!

One problem when choosing wheels is concentrating on getting low weight for the price. Sub 1500g wheel sets can be surprisingly cheap, but is this at the expense of durability and stiffness?

mdavidford replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
1 like

TheBillder wrote:

(as a distress purchase)

Is that like comfort eating, but with bikes?

TheBillder replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
0 likes

More like an emergency pot noodle on an audax - you might not want one in normal life but you can be deeply grateful when you really need it.

Jimnm replied to TheBillder | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yes your right, I found that the spokes loose and tightened, I've been riding bikes for many years and never ever had a problem with wheels untiL now. J type spikes are poor. Thanks everyone . Great advice. 

TheBillder replied to Jimnm | 1 year ago
1 like
Jimnm wrote:

Yes your right, I found that the spokes loose and tightened, I've been riding bikes for many years and never ever had a problem with wheels untiL now. J type spikes are poor. Thanks everyone . Great advice. 

J spokes are not bad per se, it's just that as you tighten them, the right angle bend and the head get stressed. So it can be handy to overtighten slightly and then back off.

Until not that long ago, everyone had J spokes and we all survived.

Jimnm replied to Simon_MacMichael | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thank you Simon m, much appreciated. 

Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
3 likes

You can get a decent set of handbuilt wheels for not much more than that... http://www.harryrowland.co.uk has built a few sets for me... excellent quality and service.  Just tell him how much you weigh and what you're going to use them for. 

It's really not worth buying sub-£400 wheels off the rack - you'll always get better hand-builds. 

Jimnm replied to Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
2 likes

Thanks for the sound advice Chris 

Chris Hayes replied to Jimnm | 1 year ago
2 likes

You're welcome.  He build a couple of sets of Kinlin rimmed wheels up for me - they're wide, tubeless ready, strong...also used by Hunt for their alloy wheels (for which they charge a premium).  

He's also built up some Mavic Open Pros which are still going strong. 

Dnnnnnn replied to Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
1 like

Have a look at Spa Cycles for Kinlin rims - they seem good value.

Chris Hayes replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks - but I'll keep using Harry as long as he's building. Have to say, I was really impressed with the Kinlins which replaced some Hed Belgiums: totally changed the feel of my ride (and the Heds were built by Chris King himself)....

Dnnnnnn replied to Chris Hayes | 1 year ago
1 like

Glad to hear it - I've just bought a couple of Kinlin rims!

Latest Comments