Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Meet the Real-Life Inspiration Behind “Mr. Toad”

//s26162.pcdn.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/08/Screen-Shot-2021-08-12-at-9.38.56-AM.png)

https://lithub.com/meet-the-real-life-inspiration-behind-mr-toad/

Quote:

The character of Mr. Toad, in Kenneth Grahame’s novel The Wind in the Willows, is the embodiment of the reckless and inconsiderate upper-class motorist, a stereotype that would have been widely recognized at the time of the book’s publication in 1908. In the story, Mr. Toad is a crazed follower of the latest fads and has become an obsessive motorist after having his horse-drawn vehicle forced off the road by a passing automobile. “What dust clouds shall spring up before me as I speed on my reckless way!” he declares, on his conversion from horse-drawn to motor vehicles. Before long he has crashed seven cars, been in the hospital three times, and paid a fortune in fines for motoring offenses. His friends try to prevent him from pursuing his dangerous hobby by placing him under house arrest, but he escapes, steals a car, and ends up in prison. He then escapes, steals the same car again, and drives it into a river.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

David9694 | 2 years ago
1 like

poop poop!

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 2 years ago
1 like

Steve K | 2 years ago
6 likes

But it all turned out ok for Mr Toad, once he hired top lawyer, Nick Freeman.

hawkinspeter replied to Steve K | 2 years ago
3 likes

Latest Comments