Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Monte Carlo or Bust - 10 days, 10 metric centuries

'Tis the season for some folly...

Everyone, including some wonderful road.cc readers, was so generous last year in supporting our Christmas Day 200 mile lockdown ride in aid of Toilet Twinning, which raised enough funds for 24 facilities, I started thinking about what we might do if locked down again this Christmas...then I thought lockdown or not, why not? So from December 14th-23rd I shall be (virtually) riding "Monte Carlo or Bust", the 1026 kilometres from our house in Peckham to Monte Carlo, ten metric centuries (and a little more) in ten days. If you'd like to support this amazing charity (and incidentally put me through a world of pain, surely worth the price of admission on its own?) in building facilities for some of the poorest two billion people in the world who have no access to clean, safe toilets, anything at all you can sponsor would be so massively appreciated and do so much good. Thank you! xxx

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/montecarloorbusttt

P.S. In the spirit of putting my money where my mouth is, I've put in the price of the first toilet myself, so I shall damned well make sure I do what I've paid for!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
9 likes

If it's not on the bathroom wall it didn't happen...this is the final total without GiftAid, which made it up to £1800 or 30 toilets - the "four" here refers to the four toilet blocks that contain them. Thank you so much again for your generous support, road.cc readers, can't tell you how much it's appreciated.

chrisonabike replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

It may not have been a "journey" but I salute you keeping yourself entertained and exercised while helping others keep out of the shit.

Tommytrucker replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
3 likes

4 toilet blocks, 30 toilets.

jaymack replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
3 likes

A wonderful effort and only the second 'twining' certificate I've seen.

TheBillder replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
2 likes

Fantastic Rendel, I look forward to next Christmas's mad fundraiser as this is now clearly a tradition.

chrisonabike replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
1 like

TheBillder wrote:

Fantastic Rendel, I look forward to next Christmas's mad fundraiser as this is now clearly a tradition.

Careful what you wish for - maybe he'll decide to do it the other way round and fundraise for bikes... [Buffalo bicycle] [Mayapedal]

mdavidford replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
3 likes

If it's a full-on reversal I do not want to see any footage of that, thanks.

chrisonabike replied to mdavidford | 2 years ago
1 like

mdavidford wrote:

If it's a full-on reversal I do not want to see any footage of that, thanks.

But you regularly come here to look at the mess at the bottom of the page...?

Rendel Harris replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
2 likes

TheBillder wrote:

Will have to think about it, hard to predict what state of health will be in ten months, none of us getting any younger...vaguely considering climbing the height of the highest mountains on all seven continents, which comes to 43,500m, roughly a Ventoux per day during advent...I only climbed just over that height for the whole of 2021 so might take some training!

4 likes

Just sent out a thank you email to all the friends who supported this endeavour, as everything in it also applies to all the lovely road.cc readers who supported it I reproduce it below.

Dear friends and supporters,

Just a quick note to let you know that the Monte Carlo or Bust ride was successfully completed on schedule on December 23rd. Thanks to your amazing generosity the total raised now stands, with GiftAid, at £1732.50, enough for 28 toilet facilities to be built in the poorest parts of the world, improving privacy, dignity and health for many who lack what we take for granted.

Thank you so much, it was a fair bit harder than I had anticipated, particularly the mental grind of riding 3-4 hours each day on the trainer for ten days, but your wonderful support meant the thought of quitting never crossed my mind. I really can't thank you enough for helping this great cause in such a munificent manner.
If you're into seeing a suffering old man, I recorded the final 500 metres, which you can view here: https://youtu.be/NIy8zdHuLP4

The happiest of New Years to you and yours from myself and Susan, and may 2022 bring you all the peace, love and happiness you so richly deserve.

Much love,

Rendel xxx

1 like

Some lovely anonymous person - if you're on here, thank you! - just made another generous donation, taking the total to £1732 with GiftAid, an incredible 28 facilities' worth. Thank you so much again everyone!

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/montecarloorbusttt

Hirsute | 2 years ago
1 like

Next year raising money for 1Bn toilet rolls.

Great effort Rendel - hope Santa is kind to you and the kitchen is now pristine !

Rendel Harris replied to Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

hirsute wrote:

Next year raising money for 1Bn toilet rolls. Great effort Rendel - hope Santa is kind to you and the kitchen is now pristine !

You could eat your dinner in there - but not off the floor because there are a couple of oil stains still need cleaning up!

3 likes

Once again because it can't be said too often, thank you so much you lovely people for your sponsorship, with GiftAid now over £1600 raised and so many fantastic road.cc readers have been a big part of that - it may be a controversial opinion in some parts but cyclists are damned good people as far as I'm concerned. xxx

1 like

Magnificent....

Sniffer replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
1 like

Well done.  You have done something truly worthwhile and I am sure it will make a difference to many people lives.

Rendel Harris replied to Sniffer | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys but the lion's share of the credit goes to all you magnificent sponsors (and Mrs H for allowing me to take over the kitchen for ten days) - with GiftAid total now £1650!

pockstone | 2 years ago
4 likes

Well done Rendel, you have officially ridden yourself into optimum condition for taking on the Festive 500...Happy Christmas!!

Rendel Harris replied to pockstone | 2 years ago
1 like

pockstone wrote:

Well done Rendel, you have officially ridden yourself into optimum condition for taking on the Festive 500...Happy Christmas!!

I did actually consider just keeping on going but my very much more sensible and better half suggested a rest period was in order (she insisted on going out yesterday for a 30kms but big distances are vetoed at the moment, I'm pretending that's the only reason I'm not carrying on!). Happy New Year to you!

1 like

Well done for not going full Moitessier!

7 likes

Job done. Thank you so much you wonderful road.cc readers who've donated nearly a third of the £1500 raised, absolute stars. Image below and video of the last metres at https://twitter.com/Rendel_Harris/status/1474016893480718340

Happy Christmas one and all!

2 likes

I don't think anyone's going to begrudge you that mince pie now. Top effort!

markieteeee replied to chrisonabike | 2 years ago
2 likes

chrisonatrike wrote:

I don't think anyone's going to begrudge you that mince pie now. 

Or ten.

Well done - great cause too!

stomec replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
3 likes

laughlaughlaughlaugh

well done and hope you get a rest at Christmas!

1 like

Awesome!

1 like

Coffee break halfway through the final 100km and I'm pedalling squares made of lead, but, to coin a phrase, ain't nothing gonna stop me now!

3 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

Coffee break halfway through the final 100km and I'm pedalling squares made of lead, but, to coin a phrase, ain't nothing gonna stop me now!

You have just given me a Starship earworm. Christmas is ruined and I may struggle to recover.

stomec replied to TheBillder | 2 years ago
0 likes

TheBillder wrote:
Rendel Harris wrote:

You have just given me a Starship earworm. Christmas is ruined and I may struggle to recover.

At least it wasn't Baby Shark. 

do do do do do do

3 likes

Actually had a nightmare last night about reaching 1000kms and Zwift deleting all my data, so probably a good job I'm finishing soon! 111kms today to leave a nice round 100 exactly to finish tomorrow. Sponsorship now over £1500, which is just wonderful - always room for more of course!

1 like

The wonders of the interweb are amazing right up until the moment you have to rely on them. So, dreaming of a mass data loss probably isn't as far fetched or paranoid as you may think! Perhaps you'll inspire a 'ride' to Rome for Easter.

Pages

Latest Comments