Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Moped muggers on the prowl in west London?

Yesterday afternoon, shortly before 4pm, I was heading eastbound on Chiswick High Road and stopped in the ASL at the junction with Heathfield Terrace at the eastern end of Turnham Green, just before where the segregated part of Cycleway 9 starts (the picture shows the ASL I was in from the other direction).

Chiswick High Road

Now, since I planned on heading diagonally across the road to join C9 once the lights changed, I was positioned well to the right of the ASL. Suddenly, a moped rider pulled up alongside me in the small space I’d left to my right.

Pillion passenger – who wasn’t wearing a helmet – gave me and my bike a quick and very obvious up and down look, definitely checking out the bike and perhaps sizing up how much of a struggle I was likely to put up.

Clearly decided that a battered old Raleigh converted to a single speed wasn’t what they were after and, with the lights still on red, they sped off down the High Road towards Hammersmith.

We’ve reported on a few bike-jackings in and around Richmond Park in which muggers on mopeds have stolen or attempted to steal bikes.

I’ve no doubt whatsoever that the pair I encountered at the traffic lights yesterday were looking for a bike to steal.

Nothing happened, obviously (I wonder if the situation may have been different if I were on my other bike), but just a warning to fellow cyclists to be vigilant, whether in west London or beyond.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
0 likes

Sadly, the more bike-mugging or angle-grinding thefts stories appear (and and arrests and convictions for them don't), the more the low-lives are likely to think, 'Hey, there's an idea...'

open_roads | 1 year ago
3 likes

Did you report it to the local Chiswick / Hounslow police?

It may also be worth reporting to Richmond Police / Royal Parks police in connection with the previous offences - particularly if there's scope to recover any CCTV that would show the face of the guy on the back of the bike.

OldRidgeback | 1 year ago
6 likes

Someone I know was mugged in Burgess Park recently for his road bike. He's a big guy and didn't want to give it up, but the two that attacked him initially were joined by two more, one of whom flashed a knife. So if you're riding through Burgess Park at night, be careful of the unlit stretch of path on the Camberwell side.

Rendel Harris replied to OldRidgeback | 1 year ago
6 likes

Thanks for the warning, I ride through there semi-regularly in the early morning and have experienced the occasional "Hey mate stop, there's something wrong with your bike" try on which I've just ignored, but nothing as bad as that. I hope your friend isn't too shaken by the experience.

OldRidgeback replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
3 likes

He's pretty annoyed about it and not just about losing the bike. During the struggle, one of his fingers was broken, which means he won't be able to race for a while. That messes up his season and probably means he'll miss competing in the BMX Worlds in France later this year and in Glasgow next year.

All the riders going to sessions at Peckham BMX are now being advised not to ride through the park at night as a result and to skirt round the lit roads instead. 

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
5 likes

Been "buzzed" a couple of times recently in south London by pairs of mopeds whose intention seems to be to see if you'll fall and then grab the bike if you do. The camera didn't get the plates but as Awavey says, most likely false or stolen anyway. Exercising during lockdown when the roads were empty had several slow down alongside and give the bike a good once over before zooming off; I'd like to imagine it's because I look big, hard and ugly enough to be left alone but in fact possibly because they decided the bike's not worth it (it's a full carbon Ultegra Di2 but it doesn't have a big famous brand logo, plus I have a theory they regard rim brakes as   a sign of being old and/or cheap). Not a huge concern as yet - I'd be more concerned about being mugged when on foot - but certainly something to bear in mind when choosing a route and to keep an eye out for.

Steve K replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
5 likes

Rendel Harris wrote:

plus I have a theory they regard rim brakes as   a sign of being old and/or cheap). 

That's a new line for the disk v rim arguments!

Seriously though, this is all very worrying.  I'm glad that the vast majority of my central London riding is in the rush hour peleton, so probably safe from mugging.

Ride On | 1 year ago
4 likes

Highly suspicious. Thanks for the warning. Did you get the vehicle reg? Probably nicked as well.

Awavey replied to Ride On | 1 year ago
2 likes

though fwiw as its prob fake or stolen, but definitely reported to the Met as well Id hope

Latest Comments