Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New bike suggestions : Update my Focus Izalco Team SL

TL;DR - I've got a 7.2kg rim braked bike (in pedals!) with mechanical gears and am investigating disc braked aero options, preferably electronic. What you got?

I have a very nice 2014 Focus Izalco Team SL with mechanical DuraAce 9000 groupset, rim brakes, 52/36 on a 30 cassette and wheels upgraded to pretty light 50mm deep sections tubleless on Gp5000 28s.  It's about 7.3kg all in with pedals, cages, mounts etc, which is good for a Large frame.

I am wondering how much more I'll enjoy a modern bike.  I want discs for better braking, wider internal rims and bigger tyres. Ideally I'd electronic gears. I rode DI2 at the press launch in 2009 and have lusted after a self trimming front mech ever since!  Aero gains are a bonus but I don't want a full "blade".  A lower gear would be nice for when I overdo it and need to get home!  Mech won't take a cassette larger than 30.

I tend to ride shorter faster rides on fairly hilly routes and like a good climb as a test.  We're talking 20-35 miles mostly, sometimes up to 50 miles and climbs in the Peaks and Dales like Winnats or Malham Cove.  I average around 18mph round a typical Dales loop and like the feeling of speed, especially on swooping lanes and downhills, over outright climbing speed. I'd like to aim for some longer rides too.

Max budget is £5k, depending on how much I get for my Focus.

Bikes that have caught my eye;

I could keep the Focus and put a compact chainset on, and a ligher seatpost with a bit of compliance. Cheapest option but only maginal gearing change and doesn't help the braking, tyre clearance or aero.

Ribble Endurance SL / SLR - head says SL/105 is enough but heart wants SLR/Ultegra with a wheel upgrade. Reported supply issues / delays put me off.

Tarmac SL7 Comp - a good bit heavier than my Focus and fairly stiff so not sure how comfy it'll be in comparrison. I've never used SRAM on road, not a fan on MTB but shifting sounds really intiutitve and the low gear of 35/36 would be good!  It's in stock (for now)

Focus Izalco Max 8.9 - not electronic and I'm not a fan of green but it ticks a good few boxes and I have enjoyed my Focus.

Canyon Ultimate CF - availability unknown.

Not a Giant. Not really a fan of Trek either. Don't know why.

Thanks for reading. Any opinions, or anything else to consider?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Diggery | 8 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestions, both helpful and amusing!  3

For anyone interested, I ordered the Ribble Endurance SLR with Ultegra DI2 and Zipp 303s.

Ticks my wishlist, just within budget with the recent addition of the Zipps at the old price.

Just got to wait 4 weeks and hope they can hit the date now!

I'll upgrade to 160mm rotors and a 34t cassette since I often go up and down >18% gradient hills!

PRSboy | 8 months ago
0 likes

Orro Venturi... great looking aero road bike designed and assembled in England, has had a good review on this site.  Available well within your budget with discs, 40mm Fulcrum carbon wheels, posher carbon material and Ultegra Di2. 

Diggery | 8 months ago
0 likes

After a long period of procrastination it looks like the Ribble SLR with Ultegra DI2 is leading based on value for money - small gains all over from aero, braking, tyre clearance and looks.

One good thing about my indecision is that while not having a sale as such, the wheel spec has increased, so the Zipp 303s are now standard where they were a £500 option before, which is great.

But also, using my financial skills, I could get the 303 Firecrest for the same price as they previously wanted for the 303s upgrade.

So the Ultegra SLR with 303s looks like a solid buy, but is it worth dropping £550 extra to save 178 grams and add some dimples?

I think the answer is that etiher is way overkill for a biscuit eating desk jockey, but it's all about that intangible ride feel and smiles rather than outright performance.

matthewn5 replied to Diggery | 8 months ago
0 likes

See Hambini, the dimples are a gimmick, in the wrong place for any actual aero gains.

Mr Grumpy | 11 months ago
0 likes

Good luck with getting a good price. I recently sold my 2014 Focus Izalco Team SL in very good condition. Optimistically advertised it for £1,200 but ended up getting less than half that.

Diggery replied to Mr Grumpy | 10 months ago
1 like

Ooof, that's a stinger indeed.

I was hoping for somewhere in the middle of your two numbers and have some 50mm rims on top.

It would be a big spend for what probably boil down to relatively marginal gains in areo, stopping and tyre clearance while adding a chunk of weight!

mark1a | 11 months ago
1 like

One thing I'd say about the Tarmac SL7 in the Comp version; in order to get down to a price point within the rest of the spec, it has very mediocre wheels (DT Swiss R470), and a 3rd tier groupset (Rival). So allow future cash for some better wheels would be my advice if serious about the Tarmac, or try to squeeze the budget for the Expert, for that you're getting a 2nd tier groupset (Ultegra), and the rather decent Roval C38 wheelset. I appreciate that you've given your max budget as £5k and respect that, but I'm thinking if you're serious about the Tarmac, the Comp seems to be too compromised. It might be worth trying to arrange a test ride at a dealer or concept store, I've not ridden the SL7 but have two of its parents (Roubaix Team and Venge 3) and they're both great bikes to ride. 

I think others to consider would be Orro Venturi, Boardman SLR and Vitus ZX-1 EVO, I've not ridden them but reviews are consistently good and they all represent lots of bike for the money. I also see Decathlon have a new Van Rysel FCR out too.

Diggery replied to mark1a | 11 months ago
0 likes

Thanks for the thoughts and good options.  I'd seen the Vitus but out of stock in my size, shame as it looks good value for money.  

I've seen the SL7 comp at a decent discount which would allow for a wheel upgrade to something like Zipp 303s or Prime 56mm right off the bat, but I'd be 'stuck' with the groupset execpt maybe a crank upgrade to save some weight.

£7.2k for the Expert is a big jump and makes the Ribble SLR seem a really good buy, assuming they can deliver one in good time.

P.S. Tarmac recommended sizing looks large to me.  I'm 183cm tall they put me on a 58, but a 56 matches my current bike and is more in line with other brands sizing too. Pretty sure this is the size I would choose if I go Tarmac.

mark1a replied to Diggery | 10 months ago
0 likes

Digger wrote:

P.S. Tarmac recommended sizing looks large to me.  I'm 183cm tall they put me on a 58, but a 56 matches my current bike and is more in line with other brands sizing too. Pretty sure this is the size I would choose if I go Tarmac.

If it helps I'm 181cm and all my road bikes are 56 with the exception of the Roubaix Team (57) due to its odd number sizing (frankenbike longer & lower, Roubaix at the back, Tarmac at the front). 

Diggery replied to mark1a | 10 months ago
0 likes

Thanks, that does help and backs up my thinking.

Secret_squirrel replied to mark1a | 10 months ago
0 likes

I came very close to pulling the trigger on an Orro Venturi before going in a very different direction. (Ti Gravel bike with 2 sets of wheels)

mark1a replied to Secret_squirrel | 10 months ago
0 likes

Secret_squirrel wrote:

I came very close to pulling the trigger on an Orro Venturi before going in a very different direction. (Ti Gravel bike with 2 sets of wheels)

That's a very different direction as you say - what Ti bike did you get? I was looking last year and got a Vaaru MPA after much deliberation. 

Latest Comments