Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Hunt wheels

Hi, I've just purchased some new Hunt wheels, I put a new cassette on the rear and when I put the wheel on it did not line up with the chain (Can't get the larger cogs). I also out some new centrelock rotors on which dont seem to fit. The rotors on my old wheels are 6 bolt but I thought they were universal? Bike is a cannondale synapse. Am I missing something here or are the wheels not compatible? thanks for any help - before I take it to the bike shop.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

wycombewheeler | 2 years ago
0 likes

Hunt wheels are suitable for centrelock rotors which I prefer to 6 bolt, I don't see how a centre lock rotor could not be compatible. Perhaps you could post a picture.

If you wish to use 6 bolt rotors you can buy a centrelock to 6 bolt carrier, which I have doe to use my hope rotors.

james.bowman | 2 years ago
0 likes

As Kil0ran said it sounds like you are have a 9 or 10 speed cassette. The standard Shimano freehub fitted to Hunt wheels is intended for 11 speed but usually comes with a spacer for 10 and 9 speed cassettes. The spacer looks like a very small metal ring the same diameter as the freehub body and usually comes with the wheels. You simply thread the spacer ring onto the freehub body before the cassette and finally the cassette lock ring.

kil0ran | 2 years ago
0 likes

All Hunt wheels are (at least) 11sp, how many cogs on your Synapse. Some 10sp cassettes will need a spacer to shift the cassette to the right position. 

Centrelock is centrelock so should fit, can you send some pictures? When you say it's not fitting, what's the issue? Not lining up with the brake caliper?

hawkinspeter | 2 years ago
0 likes

It sounds like the wrong wheel to me or possibly the wrong cassette (e.g. 10 Vs 11 speed). I wouldn't expect to have to totally redo the gears for a new wheel, usually just a minor adjustment to get it spot on. Also, centrelock and 6 bolts are different standards which means either getting the correct rotor/wheel or possibly using an adaptor.

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Seems a bit odd.  Are you sure you have the right thru axle or qr?

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

It's not unusual to have to adjust the derailleur when you swap wheels. There's sometimes minor differences. But not usually so much that you can't get the lower gears... best do a setup from scratch: set upper and lower limit stops, then adjust cable so it shifts properly. Shimano's an Campag's tech docs explain how to do it, its reasonably straightforward.

Latest Comments