Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Noise cameras to be trialled in England to tackle ‘boy racers’

Just seen this article in the Guardian.

Of course it is welcome that noisy drivers will be fined.  But what about speeding, intimidation, close passing, hit and run, and worse?  There are so many more serious offences where the police don't take any action, or the sanction is very lenient this seems like a complete gimmick.  Cameras to be rolled out nationwide?  So they can roll out cameras for people revving their engines but not for speeding  in built up areas which is proven to cause actual bodily harm?  What a nonsense.

Rant over.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

David9694 | 1 year ago
0 likes

Isn't this mainly a motorbike thing? 

Will it catch the two idiots out the back of me  who have it permanently jacked up to 11 where like bikes you can hear their noise inside your house.  I don't see how driving like that is safe. They've even got a child now - poor little mite. 

Dnnnnnn replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like
David9694 wrote:

Isn't this mainly a motorbike thing? 

And the rising number of feeble scooters without silencers. They don't appear to go any faster - they just deafen you for longer if you live on a hill.

kil0ran | 1 year ago
1 like

It's because it's something that all taxpayers can unite behind. I live in a very quiet rural town and there are a couple of drivers with race exhausts and flamer kits (dump unburnt fuel into the hot exhaust and ignite it) fitted. Loads of complaints on the local Facenazi groups citing disturbance to sleep, pets, and livestock. Personally doesn't bother me but then I previously ran an exhaust so loud I had to switch the engine off at the drive through to order. 105db when measured at track days, sounded awesome at 8000rpm.

wtjs | 1 year ago
3 likes

But what about speeding, intimidation, close passing, hit and run, and worse?

Nothing at all

bikes | 1 year ago
2 likes

I see your point, it seems like if you're going to the bother of putting one up, you may as well make it for both speed and noise?

There's a guy on my street with a modified exhaust. I think it might not be 'loud' enough at low speeds to trigger the high threshold these sensors probably have, but the bass noise is incredibly penetrating, even when idling. The noise passes through double glazing, interior walls and doors and even through headphones as well no problem. I wish the exhausts were just banned outright, rather than having to measure and chase down offenders.

Latest Comments