Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Overhaul or Replace?

OK, can I ask for opinions from the room?

My main bike is a ten year old hybrid.

It is my daily workhorse and commuter, the Moose, which averages 60-75 miles per week in all weathers.

I bought it for about £400, and have spent A LOT of money (way more than the purchave price) on it over the years (it's on its third drivetrain, second set of wheels, one of the brake/shifters has been replaced, second set of pedals, third bottom bracket, second set of tyres, and - as you all know - V-brake pads are water soluble).

It is coming up to needing more work - drivetrain and new wheels.  I've been quoted maybe £150 for replacing chainrings, cassette, and chain, plus whatever new wheels will cost (£50 each?  I'm not sure).

I've seen a very nice old ('90s) road bike for sale, very shiny, for a similar price to the amount it's going to cost me to overhaul my bike.

So, my question:  My hybrid is the first bike I have ever owned (yes, I know!), I do have an emotional connection to it for that reason, and it is a brilliant general purpose ride.

But at what point do I decide that enough is enough??

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
6 likes

My two cents: there's no reason to say "enough is enough". All the things you have had to replace are essentially consumables. Yes some last longer than others, but they all wear out through use. But then you replace them and you're back to being as good as new. The only time I would say it's not economical to repair would be if there is structural damage to the frame. 

Furthermore, while I could see the appeal of upgrading to something newer, I'm not convinced a 90's road bike would solve any of your problems. Although it might appear shiny, it can be very hard to tell without inspecting the bike in person what state of repair it is actually in, so you might buy the bike and then have to cough up the same again on repairs. Furthermore, a 90's road bike is likely to have components and standards that are no longer commonplace, making it harder and/or more expensive to source replacement parts. And even if it's in perfect shape now, you're not solving anything long term - the components on the "new" bike will wear out just as surely as the components on the Moose.

I would also question whether a 90's road bike is likely to be as suitable for workhorse duties - does it have mounts for mudguards? Pannier rack (if you use them)? Would the position be as comfortable/suitable for urban riding? 

Bungle_52 | 1 year ago
5 likes

In my opinion any all weather day to day bike should have disk brakes. Rotors are a lot cheaper than wheels. Hydraulic brakes are self adjusting as well. As for the drive train it's not a difficult job to do yourself and sourcing parts is straightforward. You will need a couple of special tools to remove the cassette but they will last a lifetime so it's a one off cost.

I've just gone for a 3 speed disk brake bike as my run around. Hoping the chain will last a lot longer than the 8 speed I've been using for years. Early days yet but so far so good. I don't have to do any steep climbs in my everyday riding, if I did I may think differently.

So if you want to stick with the bike get the bits and do the job yourself. The wheels, I am afraid, will still cost an arm and a leg.

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
1 like

Treat yourself to a new (or new to you) bike.

Personally, I'd think that a 90s road bike is a bit too old in terms of technology as it'll be older than your current one. A second-hand MTB is worth considering as well - slap some slick tyres on it and it'll be great for commuting and possibly cheaper to maintain than a road bike.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
7 likes

The trouble is, without knowing the history, mileage and maintenance, that 90s road bike could end up still needing similar maintenance.

A couple of warnings, a 90s road bike is going to have very old shifters, e.g. Shimano RSX and thay are unmaintainable. Campag of that age was maintainable but it is very difficult to get hold of parts. If you want to replace, then you may be lookiung at a new rear wheel depending on the freehub.

At that age it is almost certainly a square taper bottom bracket. It also is likely to have a massive front chain ring - it is before the days of compact chain rings, though if you are lucky it might have a triple. CHances are it has some high geared rear cassette too.

Also, road bike design has come on a long way in terms of comfort and design. If it is aluminium you also have questions as to whether the frame is sound - steel lasts, aluminium is more likely to have stress fractures.

Braking performance can be very variable on old bikes, again, without knowing what is on the bike, you may be getting something that simply doesn't stop as well as a nicely adjusted V-brake.

Maintaining a bike that is comfortatable and has worked well for you is not to be dismissed. I'd say if you had seen a more recent bike that was in known good condition and you were using maintenance to make a contribution then I'd consider it, but I think going that old is not wise.

Road bikes do seem to command a premioum over hybrids, and although there are good reasons why road bikes can be better rides for longer distances, I think I'd consider what other bikes are knocking around before going for a 90s one.

brooksby replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

Thanks, Ian.  I'm honestly not sure whether I can bring myself to dispose of the Moose, and I can't afford to do the work on it as well as buy a new bike, so...

(I do like the look of the old horizontal and straight top tubes, and all the kool kidz seem to have road bikes, which is why I've been tempted).

IanMSpencer replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
4 likes

There is a reason that modern bikes don't have a horizontal top tube - comfort. I think Giant miight have been first with the small rear triangle, but most modern (endurance) road bikes have a long wobbly seat post to allow it to absorb the lumps and bumps. Modern materials allowed the move away from the traditional design which was pretty much dictated by the old triangle of strength.

Another 90s problem is that the frame may well not accommodate anything larger than a 23mm tyre. Again, aside from serious competition, most people have consigned such beasts to the bin. Even seriously fast riders are discovering that 28mm or even higher are better for typical British road conditions.

I'm pretty sold on the gravel bike concept, pretty light, bags of frame space for whatever tyres you fancy and capable of being ridden at near road bike speeds while being capable of canal tow paths and even MTBesque descents. As gravel bikes are generally a re-invention of early suspensionless MTBs which in turn are remarkably like hybrids, you are probably in a good place with your hybrid.

I think road bikes come into their own once you are into the 30+ miles in a ride, where the road riding position (leaning forwards at about 45 degrees with arms relaxed by hands being in the vertical plane) is more comfortable. 

Dnnnnnn replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

IanMSpencer wrote:

gravel bikes are generally a re-invention of early suspensionless MTBs which in turn are remarkably like hybrids

I really want one of my friends to buy an expensive gravel bike so I can refer to it as a 'drop bar hybrid'.

Lots of good info on this thread, Brooksby. I like 90s road bikes myself - but I wouldn't see one as a replacement for a hybrid. If a hybrid is well-suited to your needs, a 90s road bike probably won't be...

brooksby replied to Dnnnnnn | 1 year ago
1 like

I'm beginning to think that too...  But it is SO shiny  4

TBH I'm now tending more toward OnYerBike's view above - the things that have worn out are just things that wear out, so even if it is going a bit Ship of Theseus, and is not the prettiest ride out there, the Moose does the job perfectly for me.

I need to get it booked in for the repairs quickly so I'm not tempted...

Thanks, everyone.

Dnnnnnn replied to brooksby | 1 year ago
1 like

Maybe if you do the drivetrain and wheels swap yourself (honestly, really easy tasks) then you could put the saving towards the Shiny One...? I mean, at that age, it must be almost an investment...

Latest Comments