Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Rear dropout stretched wider?

Hi all,

(TL;DR: alu rear dropout measures 141mm, any ideas about causes or solutions)

I'm appealing to the collective for your advice. I have a 2015 aluminium GT Grade that now mainly lives on the turbo. There's been some issues with shifting and derailleur alignment but it hasn't been too much of a problem.

I took it off the turbo and tried to put the wheel back in and noticed it wouldn't fit properly in the dropouts and the tyre was misaligned by the chainstays. After a lot of fettling and swearing I noticed a big gap on one side of the wheel hub. I was about to check frame alignment but first measured the width between dropouts and it measured 141mm rather than expected 135mm.

Frame has been looked after well, only crash was a gentle slide out onto non-drive side, so have no idea how it could stretch out.

Has anyone got any suggestions about what my options are? As it's aluminium, I'm guessing it can't be bent back without a lot of heat.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Do you get out of the saddle much when on the turbo?

melliott replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

Hi Don,

Not that often, I tend to stay seated most of the time. Occasionally I climb low cadence out of saddle, and the odd sprint at higher cadence. Do you think long-term use could bend aluminium that much?

80-90kg weight, 320-380 FTP, max at 1100W for context

don simon fbpe replied to melliott | 3 years ago
0 likes

Honest answer, I don't know. But I guess that the rocking movement, however slight, is going to have an effect.

Clamped in to the turbo with correct spacing, assuming the spacing is correct, should limit that though.

It's the only thing I could think of, see what others say.

melliott replied to don simon fbpe | 3 years ago
0 likes

It is something I hadn't thought of, so could be a possibility. I appreciate it.

Latest Comments