Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Removing rear wheel with GRX

I have a GRX 810 rear mech on an Orbea Terra. Only issue is that I’m having a hell of a time getting the rear wheel in and out in comparison to any other bikes I have. The cage on the mech is long and it seems to be very stiff and not easily let the wheel down into the recess. It's a clutch mech so obvs I release that, but even with the chain in the small front / rear it's a job to remove the wheel.

Any tips or tricks for thru axle bikes with clutch derailleurs?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Zermattjohn | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the (recent) replies - I posted this a year ago but it's popped up again. As I explained, I was releasing the clutch mech, so that wasn't my problem.

In the end I found that, by putting the chain onto the 4th sprocket from the top, rather than the bottom (smallest), that the wheel slips out easier. Having the chain in the smallest cog meant it was very difficult to align the disc rotor and the rear mech at the same time.

Alpine Scrumper | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have the GRX 810 mech too. You need to switch the clutch off to make the mech easier to move, it is the grey switch where it says "on". 

Once that's off you will find it a lot easier and more like a normal road mech 

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

Check your mech is attached correctly. The mech holding bracket needs to be almost horizontal.  You can see the correct angle in dealer manual 3 on the shimano site page for the mech too.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cant-believe-im-asking-this-rem...

Welsh boy | 3 years ago
0 likes

A bit late to the party sorry but my road Ultegra Di2 wouldnt let me take the back wheel out unless i deflated the tyre.  By accident i found that by turning the B screw in one complete turn fixed it, in and out with the tyre inflated as sweet as you like now.

cyclingbrit11 | 3 years ago
0 likes

I'm having the exact same problem.  The wheel on my road bike with Ultegra is easy to remove, but it's a pig with GRX.  I feel like you REALLY have to pull hard on the derailleur to the point where I'm worried I'm pulling it out of alignment.

duncanap replied to cyclingbrit11 | 2 years ago
0 likes

Forgive me if this is not the issue - but the GRX units have a "clutch" to make sure the chain stays tight on bumpy ground. This basically holds the cage in position and resists forces trying to move it around - like when you try to pull it back to free the wheel. 

There is a switch near the main pivot of the unit which releases the damping - you can see it if you look in the user manual UM-3HR0B-000-ENG.pdf  - I have tried to upload a picture but not sure if it will work.

Latest Comments