Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Ride London 2022

Recent events have obviously been cancelled but have I read correctly, 2022 will take place, not through Surrey and be held in the spring time with an entirely different route. Bit of a shame really as I thought the daunting box Hill was an attraction to accomplish it?

Anyone know when registrations may be accepted but tbh that'll be opening the flood gates, no?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

Ryder | 2 years ago
1 like

Whether Box Hill is daunting or not depends on your fitness levels and not everyone on a bike is, or wants to be a racing cyclist flying up hills with graceful ease.  Usually takes me nine minutes to ride and I'm always passed by plenty of fitter people, who, for the record, look like they'd rather be grinding their private bits on a cheese grater than riding a bike.

EddyBerckx replied to Ryder | 2 years ago
0 likes

Ryder wrote:

Whether Box Hill is daunting or not depends on your fitness levels and not everyone on a bike is, or wants to be a racing cyclist flying up hills with graceful ease.  Usually takes me nine minutes to ride and I'm always passed by plenty of fitter people, who, for the record, look like they'd rather be grinding their private bits on a cheese grater than riding a bike.

If they are passing you how can you get a good enough look at their face to see they'd rather be rubbing their bits on a cheese grater?

Your post started off reasonable then you decided to generalise on a group you don't like or don't feel part of. There's no need. Just enjoy your riding and don't worry about what others do (unless they are riding like dicks). Its horses for courses.

Awavey replied to Ryder | 2 years ago
0 likes

I think its daunting because of the chat exposure it's got,its literally a hill even if you've never been to that part of the UK as a cyclist you'll probably have heard of, and you've no idea how well you are going to ride it if you've never ridden it before. I've ridden it on Zwift but I dont think its comparable, and I'd certainly be nervous and find it daunting approaching it the first whilst trying to complete a 100 mile ride.

Judge dreadful | 2 years ago
1 like

Last year, whilst we were temporarily let out of our cages, at this time of the year, because of the cancellation of the actual event,  I did a ride set up through British Cycling's let's ride site, which was essentially the route of the PRLS, but minus the bits in London that aren't open to cyclists normally ( East tunnel / Limehouse link tunnel, and Hammersmith flyover section). It started at the Olympic park, finished on the Mall, and took in the Surrey hills section. Despite the weird feeling of having to do it under Covid circumstances, and the logistics involved with that,  It was actually pretty good fun, I'm thinking of doing another one in a couple of weeks time. It should be easier this year, as most of the restrictions are gone.

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
3 likes

I don't think they have even negotiated a route yet so be surprised if it's not open for a good while yet.  Box is iconic but not daunting compared to the other hills on the route. I'd say it's actually the easiest of the 4 main rises even the nasty Wimbledon rise at about 95km is more unpleasant coz yer knackered and demoralised. 

wycombewheeler replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
1 like

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Leith Hill is/was the most difficult hill, but not particularly difficult - the worst bit are the idiots walking double-file up the road because they aren't fit enough to ride up a slight incline, making it really hard for proper riders as there's hardly any width to the road. There should be marshalls that insta-disqualify anyone dismounting, or at least those not keeping completely to the left.

disqualifying would be extreme, but certainly anyone walking not on the left should be sanctioned. Same as ditchling beacon on the london to brighton ride. Always blocked by people walking across the width of the road.

EddyBerckx replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
3 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Leith Hill is/was the most difficult hill, but not particularly difficult - the worst bit are the idiots walking double-file up the road because they aren't fit enough to ride up a slight incline, making it really hard for proper riders as there's hardly any width to the road. There should be marshalls that insta-disqualify anyone dismounting, or at least those not keeping completely to the left.

You can't be disqualified from a sportive!! And where would they go? They'd still need to ride 50 miles back somehow...

But yeah, a bit more education and shouting from the ride captains (they have these on ride london) should help. It's fine to walk up hills if you're not fit enough but you really need to be aware of others when you dismount and when you actually do the walking. Stay left as you say.

Brighton is the worst. If you don't start early doors you just have to accept you're walking up with everyone else.

Jetmans Dad replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
7 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Leith Hill is/was the most difficult hill, but not particularly difficult - the worst bit are the idiots walking double-file up the road because they aren't fit enough to ride up a slight incline, ...

Leith Hill may be many things, but 2.3km at an average 6.5% gradient and maximum of 12%+ is not a "slight incline" in anyones book. 

Oh ... sorry ... of course ... you need to find a way to disparage anyone not as magnificent as you. 

Carry on. 

Rendel Harris replied to Jetmans Dad | 2 years ago
4 likes

Very much doubt he's ever actually ridden it.

Captain Badger replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
1 like

Rendel Harris wrote:

Very much doubt he's ever actually ridden it.

TFTFY

Sniffer replied to Jetmans Dad | 2 years ago
7 likes

Transparent contribution again. Nigel used 'proper riders' to get a response.

It is the usual tactic of half refering to the subject followed by somethng to distract the thread.

It remains tiresome.

Rendel Harris replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
3 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

For Rendel's edification, here's a picture of me riding up Box hill, waving to the packed gantry, virtually pedalling backwards, at Ride London. Box hill is as smooth as a billiard table by the way, absolutely lovely to ride. (Edit - Sorry image removed, checked copyright and cannot be posted on public channels. You'll just have to imagine it).

Edit - sorry image removed, checked copyright and realised that posting pictures of other people and claiming they're me might mean I'm caught out as the "as a cyclist myself" gobshite I am. 

Fortunately there is some genuine footage of our Nige on Box Hill...

Captain Badger replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
2 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

[checks notes], oh yes: Shaming (and directly insulting) folk for being at a different fitness level. Nice one dude.

I'll handle the piety Nige, it certainly isn't your forte.......

Organon replied to Rendel Harris | 2 years ago
0 likes

Why is he dressed as a credit card?

Captain Badger replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
6 likes

Nigel Garrage wrote:

Shaming (and directly insulting) folk for being at a different fitness level. Nice one dude.

ShaunC replied to Lance ꜱtrongarm | 2 years ago
1 like

The one time I did RL100, I found the descent from Leith Hill more intimidating... Especially going through a narrow section and quicker riders were steaming down the right. There didn't seem to be a middle ground between those on brakes on the left and those flying down the side.

Latest Comments