Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Road bike comparison

Hi everyone, 
I need some advice regarding my next road bike buy.
I am having a big dilemma:

1. trek emonda sl6 pro, 2021., Mechanical Ultegra 8000, used one season according to the seller, and not so many km behind. Bontrager aeoulus elite 35 mm carbon wheels. Nice grey colour. Like new.

2. Canyon ultimate cf sl 8, brand new, 2022. model, 6 years warranty, Ultegra 8000 mechanical, shifters are 8020, aero cockpit, 4iii powermeter. Alu wheelset dt swiss.

Canyon is 500 gbp more expensive.

I ride most of the time in a flat area (Danmark).

Thanks in advance, cheers.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Moist von Lipwig | 1 year ago
2 likes

Canyon.   This triggered my memory - I looked at an 2021 SL6 a couple of years back (I didn't buy one).  I refer to you to the comments of this very site.

TL:DR - its heavier than anyhting else in the comparable range and the wheels on the pro are the only difference to the standard model.  (Also at the time the difference in price of the bikes was £450 but the difference in the standalone wheel price from trek was £250)

https://road.cc/content/review/trek-emonda-sl-6-pro-2021-276015

Simon E | 1 year ago
1 like

You should buy the one that fits you better. Compare the geometry with your current bike.

If both will fit you well then pick the one you prefer. Both are excellent models.

The Trek's wheels might be ~£800 RRP but aren't especially lightweight so I wouldn't expect them to transform how the bike feels.

In case it helps:
https://road.cc/content/review/trek-emonda-sl-6-pro-2021-276015

Kapelmuur | 1 year ago
0 likes

Are Canyon delivery problems over?   You may have to wait months for delivery of a new bike.

Vermonious replied to Kapelmuur | 1 year ago
0 likes

I am already on the list, and it will be delivered in the beginning of December.

I was just taking some time to decide.

mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

Hello - difficult decision as you say... What weather do you have in Denmark? It's similar latitude to the UK, so if that means rain, I'd be inclined to go with the Canyon (assuming R8020 = disc brakes), the alu wheels can always be upgraded later if you want, to something equivalent or better than the Trek carbon ones although DT Swiss aren't that shabby anyway. But then aero cockpit might not be to your taste. 

You haven't mentioned the total price, is £500 a big difference on them both compared to this?

Of course you could just go for the one that you like the best!

OnYerBike replied to mark1a | 1 year ago
1 like

I think the 2021 Trek Emonda has disc brakes too.

Assuming OP is buying the Canyon direct from Canyon, the current price is £3,199. So the Trek would be circa. £2,700.

To me, the main deciding points are:

• Trek has carbon wheels
  • Trek is cheaper
  • Canyon has power meter
  • Canyon is brand new and comes with warranty.

Power meters can of course be added later, but at a fairly significant expense. But for many cyclists who aren't at the pointy end of races, I'm not convinced how much benefit a power meter is - I don't have one, although I do have a turbo trainer which records power when I'm using it. But when riding in the real world, I don't care that I don't have power.

The £500 left over from buying the Trek would easily cover a full service bringing the bike up to as-new standard if it requires one. The only risk I can see is if there is a major failure or product recall (i.e. not normal wear and tear) then OP wouldn't be covered.

So I'm leaning towards the Trek - looks to me like you get more for your money, especially if the power meter is not of interest. But can't argue with "go for the one that you like the best" either!

Vermonious replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

First of all thanks for your advices guys.

Yes Emonda is with discs as well, and the prices are: 

Canyon ultimate cf sl8-3000 gbp

Trek now, a guy changed the price to 2900 gpb.

Regarding powermeter, I am not interested in it so much, and the question is more the bike quality overall.

But it seems I'll order the Canyon.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Simon E replied to Vermonious | 1 year ago
2 likes

If you prefer the Trek then tell the guy 2600 is your best offer. Although if he's pulling that kind of stunt then he's likely a knob so I'd not want to give him a penny.

Hope you enjoy your new bike. smiley

Latest Comments