Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scribe or DT Swiss

Hi,

I am researching new wheelset and can't decide, which of these two will be betfer. Is there significant difference?

https://scribecycling.com/products/scribe-race-d
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/buy/dt-swiss-er-1600-spline-db-23mm-whee...

My main concern is durability. With 90kg and riding on roads with bad surface conditions, I want wheels with reasonable weight which will stay true for long time.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

Ihatecheese | 2 years ago
0 likes

I would go for dt Swiss with those requirements. Useful for changing from 11sp to 12 sp hubs or axel compatibility will be easier long term. As well as the higher apparent weight resilience. Not sure of spike compatibility etc.  I was sad when I purchased some fancy wheels to find I couldn't amend to 12sp sram hub later down line. 

theslowcyclistxx | 2 years ago
0 likes

If performance is paramount to you, go with the scribe, but expect to do more service. Wondering whether scribe wheels just came out when dt lost their patent - could be a good thing for serviceability though if all scribe hubs use dt's ratchet design...

Chris Hayes | 2 years ago
0 likes

I'd suggest dropping the idea of factory-built wheels and go for hand-built: you'll get more for your money, a lot more.  I use Harry Rowland who's built several pairs for me. I'm as heavy as you are and have ridden Paris-Roubaix on my Kinlins and Open Pros... and as bad as our roads are, not much can compare to the Troue d'Arenberg. 

joeegg | 2 years ago
0 likes

If you want a tough wheelset then there's the Campag Zondas. Not the lightest or smoothest ride but mine have only had a change of freehub bearings after years of use. Same for my old Fulcrum 3's.

matthewn5 | 2 years ago
0 likes

+1 for handbuilt. You'll get a much better set of wheels for the same money.

OnYerBike | 2 years ago
0 likes

I imagine the DT Swiss ones will be more durable, which it sounds to me is likely to be the priority for you. The Scribe ones look like good race wheels for the price, but they are designed to be fast and light, not tough. The DT Swiss ones are heavier, endurance wheels (although they are by no means "heavy" and I'm sure will be plenty fast enough too).

Edit: hand built certainly is another option, and any good wheel builder will be willing to talk you through the options and put something together that meets your needs. Hand built wheels might look more expensive "on paper" (e.g. heavier for the same price) but it's probably worth it for the experience and workmanship that goes into building them, plus they are generally much easier to service and repair which makes for savings in the long run. I've used RyanBuildsWheels before and would happily recommend, but there are plenty of others out there (DCR, Malcolm Borg @ TheCycleClinic, Owen Wheels, JustRidingAlong, Moonglu...)

Hirsute | 2 years ago
0 likes

Plenty of scope in their wheelsets for differing weight. I picked up some hd ones due to lockdown kgs and they come in at a reasonable 1650g

I did have to wait a bit but that was in part due to brexit and border issues with being NI based.

Endorsed by road.cc so must be ok ! They will take wider tyres so if you are worried about roads then get a 30 or 32 width tyre. I have just got pirellis as suggested by the lbs which are great- good grip and soak up some of the bumpy road.

Andski808 | 2 years ago
0 likes

I've got the Scribe Race rim brake clinchers and have ridden them for about 3000km now with no issues at all. They're great, conti 5000s fit beautifully and customer service is excellent. As is the value for money. But as the other poster said they're relatively new as a company. 

There's also the issue of freehub noise. It's a real marmite thing. Scribe will supply some grease to deaden it but you may rather not have it in the first place. I don't know what DT Swiss are like in that respect. 

Secret_squirrel | 2 years ago
0 likes

I dont think you are comparing like for like wheels, though the Scribe link seems to get re-routed to the main site page.

Those Scribe Race-D's have a 105kg weight limit which you are very close to at 90kg + 10kg bike + 1-5kg of spares and water and clothes.  They are not gravel listed either unlike the DT Swiss.

I believe the guy behind Scribe is ex-Hunt and Wiggle/CRC (not 100%) and reading between the lines probably uses the same/similar far east suppliers to them. I wouldnt be too worried about warrantee honouring other than any downtime you might have whilst the wheels are exchanged.  Scribe are too early in their life time to screw up the customer service required to grow their brand wholly imo - of course!

Those DT swiss are the only set left on the site you might need to be quick.   You might want to check around to see what Bike Discounts post brexit processes are like.

Might be better checking out the Scribe Gravel wides 

https://scribecycling.co.uk/collections/gravel-alloy-disc/products/scrib...

Zermattjohn | 2 years ago
1 like

If you can get them, I'd go for the DT Swiss. I have a pair of the GR1800, which are a more gravel-ready version. a little heavier but very similar, and ride them in all conditions on and off road (well, on tarmac and rocky gravel, mainly), and they perform flawlessly.

DT Swiss is a well-established brand and while I am impressed by the reviews of the Scribe's you really won't know much about their durability until you've ridden them for a good few months. 

It's a lesson I learned using Hunt wheels a few years ago, when they first appeared. The reviews (and prices) were very appealing, but what reviewers rarely do is use them a lot, in many different conditions, and for a long time period - they're often sent a test pair and have a week or so to test them. The Hunt wheels I bought regularly had to go back for hub and rim replacements, to the point where I almost had 3-4 different sets over the 2 years I had them. Eventually, after that bike got stolen, I got a new bike with DT Swiss on and haven't looked back. There is a good reason why they've been around for so long.

joeegg replied to Zermattjohn | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have a pair of Scribe Race wheels and a pair of DT RR21's. I haven't used the Scribes long enough , 6 rides , to attest to reliability but so far so good. Freehub is loud and doesn't really quieten much with grease added.I don't mind the noise and a few in my riding group quite like it.Conti 25's measure up at 27.
My DT's have had a couple of problems. Firstly with bearings but an ongoing one with loosening rear spokes. Just a couple of rides then the pinging and twanging noises start again and they have to be retensioned. Not good on a set that had an RRP close to £700.
I would run the Scribes on my main bike.
Also I have had good back up from Scribe. Contacted them at 8 in the evening on chat about removing the freehub to add grease and Chris from Scribe came back to me immediately.

Richbeck replied to joeegg | 2 years ago
2 likes

Hand-built- DCR wheels.

Latest Comments