Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SHIMANO 105 R7000 Front Derailleur vs Ultegra R8000

My Shimano 105 Front Derailleur (Brazed-On Mount) 2x11-speed needs replacing. The metal where you clamp the gear cable is made of cheese and it's stripped. I need to order a replacement in the next few hours.

Is it worth buying the Ultegra version or would you just buy another 105 FD?
I'm not bothered about weight saving. I just wondered if it's made of real metal and has a better build quality.

Thank you.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

2 comments

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
4 likes

In my experience Ultegra is slightly less hard wearing than 105 as a function of slightly lighter materials being used, I think this applies across the top three Shimano groupsets (I was told by Harry Tanfield, no less, in an online discussion that the only difference as far as he was concerned between Ultegra and Dura Ace was that the latter was more fragile). I'd stick to 105.

0-0 replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
2 likes
Rendel Harris wrote:

In my experience Ultegra is slightly less hard wearing than 105 as a function of slightly lighter materials being used, I think this applies across the top three Shimano groupsets (I was told by Harry Tanfield, no less, in an online discussion that the only difference as far as he was concerned between Ultegra and Dura Ace was that the latter was more fragile). I'd stick to 105.

Thank you very much for the quick reply and info.
I'll order the 105.

Latest Comments