Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Smart Trainer

This is a basic question about Smart turbo trainers. I am recovering from having had a full depth rupture of my Achillies tendon and want to start riding using a turbo trainer, yet to be purchased, The question is can you set the resistance to a fix low wattage? I realise that they can automatically vary the resistance based on "route terrain" but currently I have been advised to stick to a low resistance setting for the moment. If this is possible is it possible for all smart turbo trainers? 

If yes I can see I may be on the spend again.

Thanks for the forthcoming info

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

15 comments

IanEdward | 1 year ago
0 likes

Just to be the annoying purist, a decent set of rollers costs 1/4 of what a Smart trainer would cost, resistance is dependent on speed (and to a lesser degree tyre choice/pressure) and you can practice technique/cadence etc. whilst recuperating. Mine will easily hold up to 500W so are good enough for most interval workouts that I want to do.

If you're nursing an Achilles tear though I'd get the Tacx rollers with the stand for your front wheel, falling off rollers tends to involve a sideways topple on to an outstretched foot...

PRSboy | 1 year ago
0 likes

And another option is to set the trainer difficulty in game to 0%, that way you can enjoy the virtual scenery of whichever platform you are on, and spin away at whatever wattage you fancy at any point, using the gears to get into the cadence range you want, without the trainer increasing resistance at hills etc.

One problem with erg mode can be when a trainer adjusts the resistance to match the given power with whatever cadence you're at; if you slow your spinning for some reason reason, the resistance at the pedals will ramp up.  

OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

My understanding is that this should be possible on all smart trainers and what will make a difference is the software. 

What you are talking about is normally called "ERG" mode which means the trainer will automatically adjust the resistance to meet the specified power output. 

You will need to refer to your chosen software's user guide to work out the best way to implement this - and also consider if you want a completely constant (low) power output or if you want a varied workout but with a low maximum power (might be more interesting, but might also mean some sections are too easy). 

Nat Jas Moe replied to OnYerBike | 1 year ago
0 likes

Thanks for the info, Thourght that this was the case but wanted to check before splashing the cash.

IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

A question to answer is "Do you want a smart trainer at all?"

I can't abide indoor training, and although I had a reasonable quality trainer some years ago, the mindless boredom of indoor training without any other motivation was unbearable - any distraction techniques just made me switch off from pedalling.

Rendel Harris replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
1 like

IanMSpencer wrote:

A question to answer is "Do you want a smart trainer at all?"

I don't want to speak for Nat, but from the content of his/her post I would guess the answer would be "I am recovering from having had a full depth rupture of my Achillies tendon and can't ride outdoors yet, so yes."

Nat Jas Moe replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
1 like

Yes sadly I am not allowed to ride outside, but want to keep / regain somw degree of fitness as well as strengthen my injured achillies so that I am not dropping my heel when pedaling. 

IanMSpencer replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

My point was to emphasise the smart rather than the trainer then I got distracted mid-ramble.

Why spend the extra on smart stuff if all that is required is a straight pedal experience? I suspect there is a glut of thick trainers on eBay.

0 likes

IanMSpencer wrote:

My point was to emphasise the smart rather than the trainer then I got distracted mid-ramble. Why spend the extra on smart stuff if all that is required is a straight pedal experience? I suspect there is a glut of thick trainers on eBay.

Ah right. Different strokes I guess, I wouldn't use my old plain turbo more than about half a dozen times a year and would give up after twenty minutes from boredom, whereas if the weather's bad or other circumstances mean I have to stay at home I'll be perfectly happy riding 50 or even 100km on Zwift.

IanMSpencer replied to Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes
Rendel Harris]<p>[quote=IanMSpencer wrote:

Ah right. Different strokes I guess, I wouldn't use my old plain turbo more than about half a dozen times a year and would give up after twenty minutes from boredom, whereas if the weather's bad or other circumstances mean I have to stay at home I'll be perfectly happy riding 50 or even 100km on Zwift.

Yes, to clarify more, it is reasonably expensive to commit to the smart world compared with a basic trainer. The OP has their motivation so my question to them is more "once recovered, do you expect to regularly use a trainer?" If the answer is yes, then definitely get a smart trainer to save the brain from terminal boredom, if not, the OP is paying a premium they don't need to pay. You can get a decent dumb trainer for well under £50 on eBay, Smart trainers are somewhere in the hundreds.

mdavidford replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

If it's only ever going to be used in erg mode, one option would be to go for a trainer that is smart but not interactive (i.e. broadcasts power, but isn't controllable by third party programs) - that would split the difference price-wise, and still allow you to use virtual training programs for a bit of extra engagement (without the full road feel).

Of course, if you then find you get into it and want to get the full experience once you've recovered, you might end up paying twice to upgrade to a fully interactive one, so...

0 likes

Fair point though a basic wheel-on smart trainer such as the Bkool Smart Pro can be had for £35 or less on eBay these days - rather different to the height of the pandemic when they were fetching well into three figures!

Secret_squirrel replied to IanMSpencer | 1 year ago
0 likes

IanMSpencer wrote:

A question to answer is "Do you want a smart trainer at all?" I can't abide indoor training, and although I had a reasonable quality trainer some years ago, the mindless boredom of indoor training without any other motivation was unbearable - any distraction techniques just made me switch off from pedalling.

If you've got a smart trainer and you find it boring you're not doing it right.   Literally something for everyone. 

Rendel Harris | 1 year ago
0 likes

Yes, absolutely, just use your chosen app to set the ERG at a low wattage and you can adjust your cadence to whatever you are comfortable with, if you pedal more slowly it's stiffer, pedal faster and there's less resistance, but at all times you will be putting out the wattage you have chosen, regardless of the terrain on the screen. This generally only works (as far as I know) in workout mode, you can either select a workout that has your chosen wattage (or can be adjusted to it by changing your FTP setting) or (certainly an option in Zwift) create your own workout. Wishing you a swift recovery.

Secret_squirrel | 1 year ago
0 likes

The short answer is yes within limits.  Nothing stops you going bonkers on the trainer and trying a 1000W sprint! 

But outside of that you can set your FTP to the limit you want then chose training programs that dont go over 100% of FTP.

Alternatively there are recovery type training programs that dont spike more than 50% of FTP, but they tend to be boring so the first option would be more interesting IMO.

Alternatively you just take the trainer out of ERG mode and just bimble along using the gears to keep it easy.

Latest Comments