Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Squirrels across the country are splooting from the heat (slate.com)

One for hawkinspeter:

https://slate.com/technology/2022/08/splooting-squirrels-animals.html

Quote:

On hot days, squirrels keep cool by splooting (stretching out) on cool surfaces to reduce body heat. It is sometimes referred to as heat dumping. 

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Where have the squirrels gone? And many of the birds too? 

I've been a home worker since lockdown and in the last 2-3 years have seen squirrels where I don't recall them before in our garden burying their nuts, my wife feeding and taming several different individuals, splooting (now I know that's a thing) and I assume aggressing each other in the trees with this chuuu chuuu chuuur noise I didn't know they made.  Now barely a one.

Similar on birds - the dawn chorus in May/June seemed epic. Pigeons and crow family still around, but not the numbers of finches we used to get, we had a brood of starlings who have gone, blackbirds seem to have gone, sparrows in their quarrelsome flocks are around but less frequent. Country walks often silent. 

hawkinspeter replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
5 likes
David9694 wrote:

Where have the squirrels gone?

They're gathering their forces and waiting for the best time to strike

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
4 likes

I didn't even know they were unionised.

Mungecrundle replied to mdavidford | 1 year ago
4 likes

I scan read that as "onionised"

Mmmmm tasty.

David9694 replied to Mungecrundle | 1 year ago
1 like

You lot - honestly 🧑🏻‍💻

chrisonabike replied to David9694 | 1 year ago
1 like

Seeing LOTS of foxes - could there be a link?

hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
4 likes

"Sploot" is a most cromulent word - I'll try using it in as many conversations as possible

mdavidford replied to hawkinspeter | 1 year ago
5 likes

Me too. I'll probably avoid 'heat dumping' though - sounds more like what might happen if you fed them a particularly potent chilli

chrisonabike | 1 year ago
4 likes

I hope no-one takes this personally but I came here expecting to find the temperature at which squirrels spontaneously combust.

Fortunately for those of that persuasion there's a wikihow:

https://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Squirrel

Latest Comments