Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

SRAM Rival Hydraulic Lever / Shifter problem

Hello everyone,

My 11 speed SRAM Rival set-up wasn't shifting properly. It seemed likely down to cable problems so I set about replacing the inner and outer cable. However... having removed the existing inner cable, the new cable simply won't route through the shifter. It passes through the red plastic part of the shifter mechanism (in which the cable head seats itself) fine, but something seems to be blocking it from going any further through the shifter, so it won't emerge out of the top in order to be guided into the first section of outer cable on the handlebar. The shifting mechanism seems to be working fine. I've removed the plastic plate on the inside of the lever that's held on by three small screws, to expose the shifter mechanism.

So, my main concern is to remove the shifting mechanism from the lever body. That way I can see if the apparent blockage is anything I can remove or otherwise sort out. However, I can't work out how to do this! It seems to be a pretty straightforward operation SRAM'S non-hydraulic levers, but not so on the hydraulic ones! I can't find anything online about how to do it. It seems to be a long pin that retains the whole mechanism. This pin moves freely enough it seems, but I've no way to pull it out. It seems that on non-hydraulic levers you push it out form the other side, but there's no way to gain access to do this on my lever. Has anyone done this and is able to offer advice? Or point me towards any online tutorials? Thanks in advance!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

Welsh boy | 2 years ago
0 likes

I have had a few prolems changing cables on SRAM shifters but usually they are OK.  I hope I am not stating the obvious but make sure that you are in the smallest sprocket setting on the lever before trying to thread the new inner cable through and the other thng that makes a big difference is using a good quality stainless steel cable, the end of the cable should be nice and round on a new cable, a previously cut cable may have a slightly sharp end which can snag and stop the cable going through.  SRAM cables are also slightly thinner (1.1mm diameter) than Shimano cables (1.2mm diameter) and it does make a difference.  If you are using a cable which has already been cut try heating the cable with a lighter or mach until it glows red hot then quickly cut it with a good quality cable cutter, this gives a nice smooth end which should help the cable pass through.  Finally, feed a cable in the wrong way (ie from the top of the shifter) just to make sure that the cable path is free from any obstructions.

Achtervolger replied to Welsh boy | 2 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for your post - I'd forgotten about the slight cable diameter difference with official SRAM ones. The tip about heating used cables before cutting is great too!

IanMSpencer replied to Achtervolger | 2 years ago
0 likes

FWIW Campag cables are also 1.1mm, going back years.

Grahamd | 2 years ago
0 likes

I enjoy maintaining my own bikes and replaced the gear cables on my Shimano bike without any difficulty whatsoever. However when I needed to replace my gear cables on my SRAM equipped bike I was totally perplexed and ended up employing my LBS to do the task. Turned out to be a good decision as they identified a fault on one of my callipers whilst checking the rest of the bike. Would rather pay the modest cost to my LBS going forward, safer in the long term.

Achtervolger replied to Grahamd | 2 years ago
0 likes

Fair point - I'm just much happier doing all maintenance jobs myself, I usually learn something along the way too!

Jogle | 2 years ago
0 likes

I had a similar problem last month with my Force shifters, the cable came out with a bit of a tug (it was within the shifter that my cable was getting stuck) but I couldn't get the new cable back through.

I didn't try to take the shifter apart, I just tried for a few hours (over two days) to get the cable through. Pushing the old cable backwards through showed less resistance than pushing it through the right way. That also meant that I could get some grease through. I also sprayed some MO94 in there. Eventually I realised that there wasn't a blockage and just used a bit more force to get it through.

So my thought on it is that there isn't a blockage but that the routing of the cable isn't very good and it gets stuck at the point that it needs to go upwards.

Achtervolger replied to Jogle | 2 years ago
0 likes

Jogle, thank you so much for posting. Once I'd read about your experience and decided to perevere with just trying to force the cable through, I quickly managed to first get the cable through the shifter from the top, so like you said, presumably no blockage. Then with the help of some grease, WD-40 and using pliers to force the cable, I got it through the right way. So problem solved and significantly cheaper than a new STI unit! Much obliged!

Latest Comments